SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Could I add vacuum pump oil to an car engine?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could I add vacuum pump oil to an car engine? Login/Join 
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted
I've got an unopened bottle of HE-200 vacuum oil. It's a double distilled, pure hydrocarbon oil for use in corrosive applications. The Scotsman in me hates to see it go to waste. If not in a car/truck crankcase, might it make a good gun oil? Thank you.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't put it in a car engine, unless it just needs topping off and you plan to change it shortly thereafter, in which case it probably wouldn't hurt anything. It almost certainly won't have detergents and other anti-friction additives that auto engine oil does. No reason it couldn't make a gun lubricant.

Posts: 28016 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Could you?

Sure - probably - if you don't care about your warranty. Your HE-200 is ISO 100, which is roughly equivalent to an SAE 30, so if that's good for the engine, it would probably work for a while.

I wouldn't.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great oil for guns or use in a fine tip oiler. I wouldn’t want to waste it either. You might contact the manufacturer and ask them about it.

Auto engines use oil with additives like foam suppressants and detergents that remove dirt and carbon from the oil. I think vacuum pumps and compressors use oil that is pretty clean - IE no additives.

Being vaguely familiar with antique whale oil lamps, I would be curious about the smell it gives off when used as a lamp oil. Might be pretty clean there as well. This is also where the mfr. could tell you if it has any additives and if burning it might be an issue.

Posts: 2134 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Oil is all (well, mostly) in the additives.
Do not put it in your engine, even your lawnmower.
An air compressor would be the closest equivalent.

Posts: 9555 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You could probably use it in the gearbox of your Aermotor.

Posts: 26953 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
As noted by others, motor oil is about way more than viscosity. There is no reason at all it would make sense to put it in any car you care about. Or other motor, for that matter.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12453 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do not put it in your car.

Oil is chemical engineered for specific applications and properties, and compatibility. It needs to have properties appropriate to the application, including thermal, lubricity, viscosity, etc. The thermal properties include variabilities throughout the temperature operating range, and in turn how those are compatible with both the machine, and with the other lubricants at any given temperature and/or pressure point. Short story: if it's not an automotive oil engineered for that application and specifically called out for that engine, then don't use it, especially with other oils.

Using the wrong combination of lubricants in an application can cause both lubricants to fail and prevent lubrication, cooling, proper oil pressure, parts separation, and can affect the viscosity, lubricity, shear, temperature, and other properties of both lubricants.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It would be a shame to ruin your engine to save $5

Use it on some guns or something else.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
At $40 a quart i wouldn't let it go to waste either.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

It's only worth $40 a quart when used in a vacuum pump.

Posts: 9555 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Penny Wise, Dollar Foolish.

Immediately comes to mind.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

It's only worth $40 a quart when used in a vacuum pump.
Car’s engine is worth way more than $40. Hell, mechanics charge much more than that per hour.

Lubricants aren’t my end of the business but I have been in 2 lube plants. There is quite a few additives added to the base stock and they change both the additives and base stock to fit the application.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23332 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Why don't you ask over at bobistheoilguy.com and see what happens?

Those people are fanatics about oil.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you drove an old Diesel car/truck, pour it into the fuel tank.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a vacuum pump I could put it in... Smile

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post