SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Waterproof shower walls for a cabin with no heat in the winter.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waterproof shower walls for a cabin with no heat in the winter. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I am finally getting around to redoing the bathroom in my cabin that MattW and started ripping apart last year.
Went from a tub to a tub sized pan as my grandfather can no longer step into a tub. I am trying to get back to the rustic/reclaimed wood cabin feel in replace of the awfully bright and awfully colorful vinyl that it was upgraded to in the 60s and 70s.

I am not sure I want wood tile planks and I don't really want just the white plastic panels as I don't like the look but read they tend to crack when installed in a non heated application. The cabin gets winterized so no heat and it can be below freezing for days at a time.

Relatively inexpensive and easy to install but also understand these options may not be available at a low price.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Rustic, inexpensive, and robust.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15864 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I don't know about you sometimes. At first you said the black van was the coolest thing around and now want to put a shower in it.

Can you just leave it alone and let it be the family truckster?

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it. I like it a lot. Hmmm....

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

Saw something similar while doing some google looking but it seems that it would be loud to me.

————————————————

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
seems that it would be loud to me.

Probably less so if it were backed by something as opposed to screwed directly to studs.

My warehouses all use this type of metal on the roof and the sides. The roofs are loud when it rains, but you don't get nearly as much noise from the sides.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15864 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Well, showers are supposed to be loud.

When you are singing "She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain", you want lots of reverb....

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We built a log home (30 years ago) and one tub/shower was on an outside, log wall. I used marine varnish to seal the logs and clear silicone caulk to fill the cracks. While it is our second bathroom and it doesn't get the use that the master bath does, this wood treatment has served us well. I have never had water get beneath the finish and it looks as good now as the year we did it. I would do it again if I had the need.

Posts: 2161 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just an idea thinking outside the box (or stall if you may), but what about that spray-on bed liner stuff for pickup beds? That stuff seems pretty impervious and weather certainly wouldn't affect it. I have never tried this. Am not an expert.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
me if I wanted the look of wood I would just do wood. The right species (not cheap) and nothing further is required. Cheap species and simply coat it with the correct epoxy and move one to enjoy. I've built two this way. Think boat building techniques.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11178 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My grandfather's cabin has an aluminum shower from the 60's. Cold and loud.
Not just loud from the water, but it creaks and bangs and pops, sort of like if you were standing on the hood of your car. lol

Posts: 21383 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about those ceramic tiles that look like wood? They aren't very expensive.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My grandpa had a steel walled shower stall in his extra bathroom. The floor was about 3'x 3' and using the miserable contrivance was fairly loud and unpleasant. Maybe if your shower is big enough so that the water isn't hitting the walls constantly your results would be better.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
My grandpa had a steel walled shower stall in his extra bathroom. The floor was about 3'x 3' and using the miserable contrivance was fairly loud and unpleasant. Maybe if your shower is big enough so that the water isn't hitting the walls constantly your results would be better.

Would be a bit larger than 3x3 but it would still hit the walls.

Figuring the wood look tiles is going to be my best bet. Was hoping for another route but figure that will be best.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

[IMG

Saw something similar while doing some google looking but it seems that it would be loud to me.

My house is totally wrapped in corrugated and is very quiet (no lack of wind and wind driven rain/hail in Bayou LA lol), with good sound deadening (green board because of moisture) I think it's a great option. Just use a heavy gauge. It'll actually be very quiet

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My family cabin has a sheet metal shower. It's a little loud I suppose but the water hits the person showering and not the wall. If ya lean on the wall it definitely pops but it gets the job done. I have no real complaints. 60+ years of summer use and winter cold.

Posts: 4333 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could also do some of the fake teak wood deck products for yachts over fiberglass shower walls. The fake wood is pretty easy maintenance wise and waterproof. It comes in different colors etc.

http://www.flexiteek.com/products/

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
. . .Figuring the wood look tiles is going to be my best bet. Was hoping for another route but figure that will be best.

Cement board and tile shouldn't have any problem standing up to deep-freezing cycles so long as they're relatively dry when they freeze.

Suggest the following:

• Use cement board, not green board, and for sure NOT sheet rock as the underlayment for your shower stall tile.

• Insulate between the back (the side facing the outside) of the cement board and whatever you're using as the outer sheathing of the shower wall. This is not for thermal purposes, it's deaden sound transmission from the shower to the rest of the cabin.

Thanks,

Sap
  •  
    Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post