SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Did anyone know about LifeStraw being woke leftist chuckleheads?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did anyone know about LifeStraw being woke leftist chuckleheads? Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
https://lifestraw.com/blogs/ne...PkFmuO63l3vqKjtluoJU

Called for the removal of Trump and white supremacy blah blah blah Roll Eyes

Apologies if this was covered and I missed it.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Jeez, another product to stop buying.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7079 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
that is sad and pathetic. However I'm not going to keep a list of every product I want to buy and make sure that they don't hold an opposing viewpoint.

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Ronin, I’ve got a LifeStraw but there are better alternatives.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've got a Sawyer Mini and a Katadyn Hiker. The Sawyer Mini or Sawyer Squeeze are small (shorter than the Lifestraw) and these Sawyer filters are more versatile than the Lifestraw, functioning as part of a system. You get a lot for the 20 bucks you pay for a Mini.

Sawyer filtration

Katadyn filtration

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Well fuck them.

Posts: 9978 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I can second the Katadyn. Their Pocket version is solid.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
However I'm not going to keep a list of every product I want to buy and make sure that they don't hold an opposing viewpoint.

Don't think anyone is saying that, it's simply information for people to use, had no Idea, having never been on their web page.

Lots of people buy this stuff on ebay, amazon, and never get the information on the corporate hate message.

You don't have to go past the first page to understand the company's ethos

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I don't seek out this information, but if a company is going to throw it in my face, I'll gladly take my money elsewhere.

DarnTough (socks) is a great example. Bought a pair to try. Loved them. Went back to the website to drop probably a couple hundred bucks on more pairs and what do I get? A big BLM banner. I can buy socks elsewhere.

I can also buy pocket filtration systems elsewhere. I've always liked Katadyn's stuff anyway.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most outdoor brands, particularly US-based brands have some sort of 'virtue signal' statement on their website and social platforms. We're in an age where Branding has taken-over the direction of most companies, people involved with a company, who have zero expertise or, understanding of the products they make but, are consumed with image projection and the need to react to every, single, activity or, statement. Executives with bendable backbones, no grounding that allows them to blow in the winds instead of taking a stand are all around; they can't allow anything negative thus they allow their branding people in marketing to manipulate a companies position. Investors, board members are of the same ilk, spineless.

Best to send them a note of disgust and move-on.

Posts: 14672 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
The owner of LifeStraw is Danish. The company is based in Switzerland. I don't know why their opinions about American politics is relevant.

I heard the million LifeStraws they gave away in Africa (mostly Kenya), the Africans don't like using it.

Other filters, such as the Sawyer Mini, filter better, have longer service life, are more compact, and cost the same. Best of all, you can use the Sawyer to filter water into another container, b/c if you could avoid it, why would you want to put dirty water in your canteen/Nalgene/other container?

https://snarkynomad.com/the-on...eview-ever-mentions/

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have a Grayl purifier bottle that I carry in my hunting pack and have one stored in the get home bag. They work great and filter out pretty much everything.

https://grayl.com/products/ult...urifier-coyote-amber

No idea on the company's politics, but most outfits in this type of business (outdoor products) tend to be the tree hugger hippie types.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
However I'm not going to keep a list of every product I want to buy and make sure that they don't hold an opposing viewpoint.

Don't think anyone is saying that,

I'm saying, why not?

Sure you can't keep track of them all, but why not vote with your wallet when you can.

Posts: 21115 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
The owner of LifeStraw is Danish. The company is based in Switzerland. I don't know why their opinions about American politics is relevant.
Their opinions about American politics aren't valid. but your hard-earned money is. Vote with your dollars.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have always recommended the Lifestraw Family unit to people as a home use filter in case of water service problems. That won’t happen anymore. Also reminds me to upgrade my lifestraws in my get home bag.

Posts: 9978 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received one of these as a gift years ago. First time in the backcountry it failed/broke. I could have fixed it at home but I chose to go back to a traditional filter. I had a PUR Scout and a Kataydn Hiker and that's what I went back to. No comparison in functionality and quality.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Opened this thread and ended up looking at each of these filters. I used and still have stored away a several decades old First Need filter system.
My old 0.4 micron 180 gallon capacity system is blown away by improvements made over the years (no surprise) as evidenced by the smaller, less expensive Sawyer with its 0.1 micron filtering ability and 100,000 gallon capacity. Amazing! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always thought the Lifestraw was a novel concept but I guess I will need to stick with my MSR as it screws straight to the top of Nalgene bottles.

Thanks for the heads up. When are manufacturers going to learn to keep their political leanings out of the consumer mix? (shaking head)

Posts: 589 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Opened this thread and ended up looking at each of these filters. I used and still have stored away a several decades old First Need filter system.

Wow...I haven't heard the name First Need in 20+ years, you're taking me back

Posts: 14672 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Wow...I haven't heard the name First Need in 20+ years, you're taking me back

LoL!
Yeah I'm an old sod who hasn't been pounding the backcountry in a l-o-n-g time.
So my equipment is quite dated. Smile
That said I always took good care of everything. Even my old excellent leather Merrell Wilderness hiking boots (purchased 16 Dec 1991 for $250 (ouch)...yes I still have the receipt and related correspondence in the shoe box Big Grin ), special ordered for my extra wide feet and then made in Italy back then, would be still up to the task today if needed.
No idea if the current production is as well made though. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post