SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Strange issue with my wife’s subaru forester
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange issue with my wife’s subaru forester Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
The traction control, cruise control and check engine lights came on and are staying on at the same time. Traction control and cruise are not working.

I replaced the battery and cleaned the terminals thinking it may be a low voltage issue. The battery was 7 years old.

Any ideas?

Thanks all

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an alternator to me

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There’s a couple good Subaru forums out there that might help narrow it down for ya. Smile

https://www.thesubaruforums.co.../general-motoring.5/

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Do you or a friend have an OBDII (OBD2) scanner?
I've been thinking about getting this one for my car.

(Sorry I can't be of more help.)

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife's forested had the same issue when new. It is a common thing, didn't take it in so sorry for not being able to be specific but she said they told her that it was a switch.. I'm guessing maybe it's a relay or something

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My truck (Chevy Silverado) exhibited the same symptoms gen the brake safety switch went bad.
The part was $15. Took me about 20 minutes to switch.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
It's typically a ground wire that is corroded or has come loose. There are forum posts on Forester sites that talk about it.

Posts: 4078 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speaks Bendablese
posted Hide Post
All modern Subaru's exhibit that behavior when a check engine light occurs. Try ignoring that, eh? Scan the databus for codes and address from there. It could be a very simple issue.

Posts: 286 | Location: MD | Registered: September 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. No scanner. I wanted to avoid the dealership but I probably will need to go.

Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I just saw this other thread. Auto parts stores may read the codes for you.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some auto parts stores have scanners they let you use.

ETA: beaten by seconds......

Posts: 520 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onegeek:
Some auto parts stores have scanners they let you use.

ETA: beaten by seconds......

I'll give that a try, thanks all.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Buy a Bluetooth connected scanner for like $20 on Amazon. It's good to have one around anyway.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Loose gas cap. Seriously.

Takes a tool or battery disconnect to reset.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

Careful, battery disconnect may disable the radio if it has theft protection.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

this happened with my Crosstrek. If it is, it's a quick fix at the dealer. And a reminder to click close the cap.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it shift out of park consistently? One of my employees had this happen but he also couldn’t get the car out of park sometimes unless he physically rocked the car back and forth. Turns out it was a brake switch. $23 fix for him if I recall correctly.

Posts: 79 | Registered: February 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
The traction control, cruise control and check engine lights came on and are staying on at the same time. Traction control and cruise are not working.

On Subarus the traction control and cruise control is designed to disable automatically when the CEL comes on. So the problem could be anything. Hopefully it is something simple like the loose gas cap.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16353 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I just bought this

Autel AL629 Autolink Pro Service Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073...cp_api_p1SvBbW8RRCK4

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Diagnose the engine light first. Subarus will turn on the other lights in addition for every little chickenshit thing, for example, oxygen sensors or catalyst efficiency, which you wouldn't think have anything to do with cruise and traction control. More annoyingly, the cruise control light blinks.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post