SIGforum
Stanley Kubrick shoots the NYC subway, 1946

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/8460085344

June 26, 2018, 09:07 AM
BamaJeepster
Stanley Kubrick shoots the NYC subway, 1946
I love looking at old photos. I know from previous threads that there are a few here who might like this series of photos Kubrick did as a 16 year old for 'Look' magazine.

Here's a sample:

https://dangerousminds.net/com...e_n.y.c._subway_1946

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams
June 26, 2018, 09:20 AM
smschulz
I'm a big fan of his work.
I need to go find some of his earlier films that I haven't seen.
Thanks
June 26, 2018, 09:23 AM
oddball
One can see even at early age that Kubrick had that style and eye for imagery that would show up later in his film work. Wide, one-point perspective shots like the one above would become a major type of shot in his films.

Hard to believe that shortly after his stint as a Look photographer, he directed The Killing.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
June 26, 2018, 09:55 AM
BamaJeepster

Newspaper: The original smartphone!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams
June 26, 2018, 10:05 AM
220-9er
Even the bums dressed up out in public back then.

June 26, 2018, 11:30 AM
Climb14er
Very, very few overweight, fat or obese people back then! Post depression, post war... no chemicals in food, no fast food, people walked and were lean. I remember back to when I was a kid in the early to mid fifties and while folks ate rich foods, very few looked like most of the people coming out of Costco or Sam's Club these days. Great photos especially for a sixteen year old.