SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My new George Foreman Grill STINKS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new George Foreman Grill STINKS Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
What would make a brand new, still in the box, George Foreman Grill stink. Stink really bad.

Amazon delivered it and I opened the box, didn't even pull the grill out of it.

It STINKS. It's a bit hard to describe, but it smells like Ammonia, I think, and if you've ever smelled a place where cats have pissed repeatedly over a period of time, it's like that too, I think.

It's been awhile since I've smelled Ammonia and cat piss, but that's the best I can describe.

It's so bad that I can't hold my nose there for more than a half second or so.

It's made in china, and I'm wondering if it's the plastic parts of the grill?

It's definitely not the cardboard package. I immediately closed the box back up and walked away, came back in a few minutes the the outer box doesn't seem to stink. I opened the box again and immediately shut it.

Anybody have any idea what is causing this?

It is going back to Amazon!!!

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
China stink?

Everything I have ever purchased that was made in China stunk to high hell.

Usually a couple of hours in the open (on the porch) allows whatever volatile compounds to flash off. Then a good washing with a damp cloth and some mild detergent.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1532 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Formaldehyde?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
I have an older GF grill and it barely had any odor when new. Not high-end but a pretty decent grill. I would send that back and perhaps go to a local store and see if they have the same or a similar model. My trust in Amazon is rapidly diminishing.

The worst smelling thing I bought was a couple of the Harbor Freight dead-blow hammers. The orange plastic material stunk so bad I had to leave them out in the shed a month to de-gas. Hazard Fraught isn't just a parody.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The disinfectant used after Michael burned his foot?

Seriously, though, I just installed a new Bosch dishwasher. It had a funny spell as well. It must be something from manufacturing. It went away after a day or two.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
You buy a China cheaply made product and then you complain. Leave brand names alone and by made in America. Even if it stinks you will be taking one for the team.

Posts: 105 | Registered: March 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
Michael burned his foot on it

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2246 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
It STINKS. It's a bit hard to describe, but it smells like Ammonia, I think, and if you've ever smelled a place where cats have pissed repeatedly over a period of time, it's like that too, I think.

It's been awhile since I've smelled Ammonia and cat piss, but that's the best I can describe.

Would not be surprised if your box sat on a pallet where a cat did in fact do its business.

Not unusual or unheard of but, definitely sucks that you're the lucky winner.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Amazon delivered it and I opened the box, didn't even pull the grill out of it.

Check to see if it's used. Rotting food on it?

I have received used crap from Amazon before

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I didn't know they still made those things. Ours has got to be over 20 years old.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billythekids:
You buy a China cheaply made product and then you complain. Leave brand names alone and by made in America. Even if it stinks you will be taking one for the team.

Dude, if yer gonna rant, at least rant coherently Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Dude, if yer gonna rant, at least rand coherently Wink

Haha, no kidding.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So there's a comparable grill that's made in the USA ?

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I came back to this thread because just opened a delivery from Frontgate, a punch bowl with spigot. When opening the box it stunk of urine. Like mice had been on it. No droppings and the inside box didn’t smell. Item was wrapped in plastic. I cleaned it well and it’s fine. I’m assuming rodents get in shipping containers regularly.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bastard is hitting the Corn Palace in Mitchell. He’s missed Mt Rushmore by 300 miles.

https://www.google.com/search?...=en-us&client=safari

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
It's junk, the replacement Amazon sent me to replace the original el-stinko unit.

The replacement also stunk when I opened the box. It was pretty well sealed up, but not water tight. There's no way an animal of any sort took a leak inside the box.

I think it was the plastic or whatever chinesium material was used in manufacture.

I left it sit out of the box for 2 weeks to let it air out, and actually I temporarily forgot about it.

I got it going awhile ago. First I washed the cheesey cheaply made chineseium crap with hot water and soap, let it dry, and then fired it up.

It's cheaply made, I can't believe how crappy it is. The cooking plates are incredibly thin (removeable for cleaning) and everything about it screams cheap cheesey chinesium material, design and construction.

George Foreman, back when George actually owned the company, was reasonably decently made, although still not a real quality machine, but useable enough.

The drip try does not fasten to the unit, you just place it up to the front edge. It's cheap-assed plastic that is very slippery. I accidentally bumped it just slightly with a cleaning rag and it slid across my counter and into the sink like greased gorilla snot. Messy!

The reason I bought it was to be able to cook burgers in the kitchen, instead of outside due to bad weather, and the drip tray will drain off the grease, as opposed to pan frying.

I do have a far superior machine, a Breville Smart Grill, but wanted something smaller to get out and use (my counter space is at somewhat of a premium).

If someone built something that size and make it out of quality American materials made by Americans earning an American wage, I'd buy one. I know it would cost more, but I' gladly pay up to $200-ish instead of the roughly $30.00 Amazon got for this chineseium crap.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure where it’s made now (ours admittedly was made in China), but my family uses this Cuisinart model HEAVILY and has been doing so for 8+ years now and it’s been great.

Griddle on one side, grill on the other, waffle plates available, you can flip it so it’s wide open, use with cover closed, or loosen the hinged too piece as a sandwich press.

It’s been dropped, soaked in water, and kicked- keeps working fine. Of course now that I said that it’ll die… LOL.

I’d recommend you try this one. They have newer ones with digital displays and all that fancy crap- I prefer old school dials.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shop...nces/grills/gr-4np1/

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I ordered my Foreman grill from Amazon and had no issues with it. Perhaps things have changed in the two years since I bought it, though.

Maybe try actually washing it?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
I’m not sure where it’s made now (ours admittedly was made in China), but my family uses this Cuisinart model HEAVILY and has been doing so for 8+ years now and it’s been great.

Griddle on one side, grill on the other, waffle plates available, you can flip it so it’s wide open, use with cover closed, or loosen the hinged too piece as a sandwich press.

It’s been dropped, soaked in water, and kicked- keeps working fine. Of course now that I said that it’ll die… LOL.

I’d recommend you try this one. They have newer ones with digital displays and all that fancy crap- I prefer old school dials.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shop...nces/grills/gr-4np1/

Yeah I want to second this one. Probably had ours about 15 years and it just has been great. I like the flexibility to do various types of griddle plates on it.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post