SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's up in the world of PD/Fire Scanners?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's up in the world of PD/Fire Scanners? Login/Join 
posted
My 92 old Dad has an old Bearcat 890 scanner that he thought was broken because he never hears anything any more. He asked me abiout getting it fixed and after some quick research i see the landscape of that industry has changed drastically since he bought it.

He is 92, pretty much stuck at home and used to enjoy keeping up with the goings on around town. I am not sure which direction to even point him or if he is just better off with an app?

I figured this might be the best place to ask

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
It's possible they've changed frequencies from what he used to listen to.

It's also possible they've gone digital and everything is encrypted so he can't hear it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3586 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Police and fire radio systems today are way different. For starters they are now all digital vs analog, and some are encrypted.

Something like this will let him listen to unencrypted communications these days.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U...4283aba846e5da446c20

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
It's also possible they've gone digital

That's extremely likely.

Depending on where he lives and the agencies there, he may be able to access unencrypted digital traffic using a free scanner app on a smartphone, or a free scanner website on a computer, rather than having to invest in buying additional scanner hardware.

(Basically "streaming" digital radio traffic, like you do with music nowadays.)

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Check out https://www.broadcastify.com

before investing in any hardware.

It's very possible he can listen online for free.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
It's also possible they've gone digital

That's extremely likely.

Depending on where he lives and the agencies there, he may be able to access unencrypted digital traffic using a free scanner app on a smartphone, or a free scanner website on a computer, rather than having to invest in buying additional scanner hardware.

(Basically "streaming" digital radio traffic, like you do with music nowadays.)

I am actually trying to steer him towards and app as I think that between the encryption issue and the fact I have to put out fired once a week with him and his iPad the idea of him trying to learn aa new device terrifies me

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Have him use an app....there’s plenty of them available for free that work just fine.
At work at the firehouse all our frequencies went digital a couple years ago but are not encrypted.....when I’m with the SWAT team filling my role as one of their medics, those frequencies are all encrypted for obvious reasons

Posts: 3161 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look for "Police Scanner" app for IOS. It's free.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I have a Uniden Home Patrol. It's a nice unit. Plug and play. If you decide to buy a stand alone radio check it out on YouTube.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Streaming is the way to go. Many, many agencies are now encrypted and if he's just looking for something to listen to, being able to listen around the country is probably going to yield better results.

Posts: 5203 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
5 or 6 yrs. ago our sheriffs department and city police department changer to a higher frequency. Their transmissions are now truncated and encrypted. City is not encrypted but is truncated. I had been listening since the mid '70's.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post