SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying a truck with Flexfuel: advantages vs disadvantages
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a truck with Flexfuel: advantages vs disadvantages Login/Join 
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted
The truck would be a 2017 Toyota Tundra V8....What would be the advantages vs disadvantages of buying a truck designed for Flexfuel?

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14011 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
You don’t have to run flex fuel in it. In fact, you’ll lose a little horsepower and fuel mileage running it. Being a flex fuel vehicle just means that you can run that fuel if you choose to without harming the engine.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't look for that but wouldn't care if it was made for flex-fuel.

I see no advantage but that's just me. Automakers use it as a way to meet some government numbers.

The problem with flex-fuel is as the alcohol content goes up, power and MPG go down. Not by much but they do. Often any savings on fuel is negated but the loss of MPG.

If I had a flex-fuel vehicle I would never use it for the above reasons.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I don't see a downside.

Posts: 5622 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The advantage is that as a last resort you can run that 85% crap.

I wouldn't run it unless it was a last resort.

Did I mention last resort?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 13 tundra was flex fuel. I never ran a single gallon through it.

There is an equal or greater loss of efficiency related to the minimal savings in flex fuel cost

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6229 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Advantage is you get a 'hardened' fuel system built to resist the corrosive effects of alcohol, and the option to run moisture absorbing E85 that sat in the hot sun for who knows how long if you have no other choice.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
E85 fuel does have lower efficiency as already stated, but it does not result in lower power than regular fuel. It’s actually the opposite, you get more power from E85.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/c...power-than-gasoline/

Posts: 685 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
E85 fuel does have lower efficiency as already stated, but it does not result in lower power than regular fuel. It’s actually the opposite, you get more power from E85.

You’re only going to see HP gains in Supercharged/Turbocharged applications or vehicles that call for higher octane fuel with E85.
https://www.dragzine.com/tech-...gs-you-need-to-know/

———————————————

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t know all the details but what you said makes sense....where I first heard about E85 was on some F150 forums when I had a 2011 with the ecoboost engine. It became a hot topic for a bit when some guys were seeing if there was a way to run E85 in their ecoboosts. So that’s where I first heard about it. But even in the article you posted it says that naturally aspirated engines can benefit from E85 because of the cooling effect which creates more power....it just wouldn’t be as much as with a turbo or super charged engine. Or am I reading it incorrectly?

Posts: 685 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:

You’re only going to see HP gains in Supercharged/Turbocharged applications or vehicles that call for higher octane fuel with E85.
https://www.dragzine.com/tech-...gs-you-need-to-know/

I have a naturally aspirated Fusion with the 3L, rated for normal 87 octane gasoline but rated for an additional 20hp with E85. You'll likely see bigger gains in higher compression or forced induction engines, but it'll still likely gain at least some power for ordinary engines rated to use.

Of course, fuel mileage is awful on E85, so the break even point for my Fusion was the E85 needed to be at least $1/gallon cheaper than 87 octane based on the one trial I did over the course of a few tanks of E85. I have never found E85 priced appropriately enough to justify.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
I have a naturally aspirated Fusion with the 3L, rated for normal 87 octane gasoline but rated for an additional 20hp with E85. You'll likely see bigger gains in higher compression or forced induction engines, but it'll still likely gain at least some power for ordinary engines rated to use.

Of course, fuel mileage is awful on E85, so the break even point for my Fusion was the E85 needed to be at least $1/gallon cheaper than 87 octane based on the one trial I did over the course of a few tanks of E85. I have never found E85 priced appropriately enough to justify.

Yeah, I did a little more reading and there are a small amount of NA cars that will see a small HP gain but it won’t offset the MPG loss. Some normally aspirated cars/trucks can see as much as a 23-24% loss in fuel mileage with E85. The only way I would run that in my truck would be if it was a lot less expensive than gasoline than it currently is, like you said.

———————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dynorat:
Advantage is you get a 'hardened' fuel system built to resist the corrosive effects of alcohol, and the option to run moisture absorbing E85 that sat in the hot sun for who knows how long if you have no other choice.

This is why I choose a Flexfuel vehicle if possible. The fuel system is much less susceptible to corrosion. My 2003 Explorer with the 4.0 V6 was Flexfuel and it got 15mpg on 87 E10, 10mpg on E85, and 18mpg on ethanol free 90.
I noticed no power difference with E85 or 90 ethanol free. E85 not 90 ethanol free were not cheap enough to make it worth while.

Last I shopped for new vehicles Flexfuel was not an upcharge but it has been awhile. My guess is Ethanol is so heavily subsidized the manufacturers get a kick back for making them but don’t charge the customer as likely very few people would buy them if they cost more.

On the used market a Flexfuel vehicle does not command more either.

If you buy a flex fuel vehicle it does not hurt to see what your mpg numbers are but doubt very little it will be enough to save you anything especially with as cheap as gas is currently.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
A good rule of thumb. The more alcohol a fuel has the less mileage you get.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Anecdotal sample of 1.

When I was working for a Chevrolet dealer in college, we had a guy bring his FlexFuel Silverado in.
He'd filled up with E85 & was not happy with the 9mpg it resulted in.

I don't recall the actual reason he'd brought his truck in, just that that was mentioned while it was in the shop.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15334 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
In my car if you want to squeeze the most HP out of it by tuning it you run E30 or E40 by mixing 93 and E85. With the proper tune and the ethanol mix you can get an extra 80 or more HP out of it. It's like running higher octane gas. You can shove more air in your engine, advance timing, and have more combustible product in the cylinder. The downside is you burn more product as well, but I don't really care if my car gets 16mpg vs 17mpg.

As far as the original question, it's a more expensive and more robust fuel system. You can still use regular gas in it. If buying new you are paying for that, used it probably adds very little to the price if anything.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t know all the details but what you said makes sense....where I first heard about E85 was on some F150 forums when I had a 2011 with the ecoboost engine. It became a hot topic for a bit when some guys were seeing if there was a way to run E85 in their ecoboosts. So that’s where I first heard about it. But even in the article you posted it says that naturally aspirated engines can benefit from E85 because of the cooling effect which creates more power....it just wouldn’t be as much as with a turbo or super charged engine. Or am I reading it incorrectly?

Both are kind of correct. E85 does have considerable less energy than regular gasoline, so for an engine set up for regular gasoline you are going to get less power and see lower fuel mileage.

E85 has much higher octane however, so you can run higher compression and more timing advance without detonation if your engine/ ecu software are set up to handle it. Both of those will allow you to efficiently burn considerably more fuel per compression cycle, making much more power.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3515 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Flex fuel is good IMO for a few reasons. First, more power. The engine should run more advanced timing with more Ethanol. Higher ethanol content actually runs cooler than straight gas. Lastly, running E85 through your fuel system has great cleaning properties.

I had a Cadillac CTS-V that was setup for flex fuel. I could get over 100 more HP timing for E85. Of course your mileage also goes down with E85.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post