SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gutter guards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gutter guards Login/Join 
posted
Anyone here using gutter guards to keep leaves etc. out of your gutters.I checked into a Company called Leaf Filter and they want to send a salesman first so I wonder if their high pressure.
What guards do you use. Thanks

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be prepared to hear a number that is going to be unbelievable. They were here last October (we bought our new construction home a year ago) and the first number he gave us was over $5k. I didn’t even blink and told him he was out of his mind and he came down in price dramatically to around $2k and I told him that was more than I was willing to pay as well. He ended up at like $1200 or so (just to keep his guys busy) with stipulations on install times and such....told us we had to decide right then and there to get that price.

We just had our gutters cleaned for $75. We didn’t bother with that nonsense.

Posts: 720 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Thread from last summer.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7860011724

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21094 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Check out Costco's deal. I put up 90' of 6" gutterguard for about $200 (on sale) and they work great. A quality product and a straight line installation was easy on a low roof.

https://www.costco.com/EasyOn-...ersion-%E2%80%93-100'.product.100278502.html

Posts: 4810 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
This what we put up, a bit pricey but a very well made product.

LeafFilter

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
We recently moved into a house with really, really nice gutter guards. These things are solid and well made. With all the trees around my house, it would totally suck not to have them.

The previous owners must have spent a ton of money on them.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About a week ago we had a presentation from a leaf guard rep. He was just like a car salesman. Buy today, etc.

But the first price quoted was $ 21,000! 250 ft of gutter and down spouts. Price eventually got down to $9500, still too much. I told him to put it in writing and he wouldn’t.

Needless to say I didn’t buy.

Posts: 925 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Around here our problem is pine needles, and traditional gutter covers are worthless. Everyone here either hand-cleans the needles out regularly, or uses this simple to self-install material. Mine has been in for about 2 years and appears to be in the same condition as the day I put it in. The manufacturer claims it's good for leaves too; dunno. It's cheap enough to try and see how it works for you.

https://gutterstuff.com/

Posts: 1492 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
My problem, also, is pine needles. The advantage of the leaf guard is that instead of cleaning stuff out of the gutters you can just clean off the leaf guard. Quite a bit simpler, but your gutters still collect stuff whether you have a leaf guard or not.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
My mistake, we actually have gutter helmet...keeps everything out.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We went with something like the gutter helmet Ramius posted and it's been working very well for 10+ years. Before that, we tried filter screens over the gutters and found they quickly got clogged with small leaves.

While we added the gutter helmet system, we also replaced all the gutters with commercial size downpipes. They're about 2" larger and have never gotten clogged.

Posts: 2376 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
My mistake, we actually have Gutter helmet...keeps everything out.

Sounds like an STD.....

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Over the last 25+ years we've tried 4 or 5 different gutter guard systems.

The best of the lot was great on leaf control, but by the 3rd year we discovered heavy moss infiltration in those gutters.

A couple years ago we did heavy branch trim on one of the main (unsuspected) culprits, and that made huge improvement. It wasn't even really all that close to house, yet supplied considerable leaf load to gutter.

What works best for us, is an annual ladder-and-clean-out session. Takes a couple hours maximum. Couple times yearly a close inspection/clean out of the downspout wire-debris guards. Takes maybe 5 minutes/per downspout.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9872 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coming back to this, I've been on a lot of web sites about this and many guards and noticed a lot that are supposed best seem to clog up over time because the part that attaches to the rim of the gutter has a small ridge at the outside of the guard acting like a dam holding back debris. I'm checking out a "micro screen" type to see how it will work since it doesn't have what I think is that ridge.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post