SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Battle of Athens...Tennessee
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Battle of Athens...Tennessee Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
I had never heard this story before, odd given that Huey Long in Louisiana is known by most. This is the story of a corrupt regime in McMinn County, TN, part of a larger web of corruption based out of Memphis. The story begins with the election of Paul Cantrell in 1936 as sheriff of McMinn County. By WWII, the corruption extended to the State House and the sheriff’s office became a shakedown, extortion racket. Veterans returning home after the War were descended upon by deputies shaking them down for fees.

This film clip is from a Hallmark movie based on the story.

I would encourage you to at least read through this Wiki account of the events of August 1st and 2nd, 1946.

The Battle of Athens

Yet another reminder that the Second Amendment is not about deer hunting.

Creslin’s comment reminded me. The Hallmark movie is called, An American Story

Posts: 13295 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Had no idea they made a movie out of this event.
Nifty

Edit to add:
For those others who didn't know:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103673/?ref_=tt_urv

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1545 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1960058674

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5057 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank God you’re here Roll Eyes

Posts: 13295 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

Thank God you’re here Roll Eyes

Did you search first to make sure no one else has already thanked him???

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’ve worked and lived in McMinn County since 2001 and had a couple of Great Uncles involved, both veterans. Listed in the book, The Battle of Athens by C. Stephen Byrum.

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
I first learned about it reading Unintended Consequences. Same with the Bonus Army.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post