SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are we all using for digital TV antenna
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are we all using for digital TV antenna Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
A few weeks ago my wife and I cut the cord on cable.
We have an old style TV antenna In the antic. It works but we loose the signal from time to time. We think a digital antenna would fix this problem. I have the ability to place one outside our home but it would be a little bit of a pain. This would still an option tho.

I was wondering what you all have been using for inside possibly near a window.
We live 30 miles from the Orlando market and 50 miles from the Tampa market.
What have you all been having good luck with.
Thanks

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2575 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I got this https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it works great.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I just picked up the channel master, so far it works well and I got the white one, so it matches the walls better.

https://www.channelmaster.com/...-antenna-cm-4001hdbw

Archerman

Posts: 2488 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I have my eye on the Clearstream4. $99 at a local warehouse and can be mounted in the attic or outside.

I am 35 miles over mostly water to the stations and the flat pad type were not quite enough.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Where are you in relation to the the transmitter towers is an important piece of information. For example, most Orlando channels come from towers located halfway between Orlando and Titusville. Most of Tampa's towers are 20 miles SE of Tampa on Boyette Rd.

If your existing antenna is a Yagi type, it's directional and needs to be aimed at the transmitters you wish to receive. There's maps available on the internet that will show you where to aim the antenna for your zip code.

Also, there is no such thing as a digital TV antenna; it's marketing BS. The same radio waves, VHF and UHF, that carried analog TV signals in the past are being used to carry digital TV signals now. All the same physics still apply. Height, size, direction, line of sight, etc.

Posts: 11016 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
Check out "Antenna Man" on You Tube for no BS reviews and explanations of indoor and outdoor antennas. I've had good luck with a MoHu "Wave" indoor antenna, but it's been discontinued.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
A few weeks ago my wife and I cut the cord on cable.
We have an old style TV antenna In the antic. It works but we loose the signal from time to time. We think a digital antenna would fix this problem.

Nope.

"Digital antenna" is marketing drivel. Antennas emit and catch radio frequency (RF) energy. Digital vs. analog is simply different data modulated onto the same RF signal. The antenna neither "knows" nor cares what data is modulated onto the RF it emits or captures.

quote:
I was wondering what you all have been using for inside possibly near a window.

We've been using Winegard Flatwave Amped antennas here in the ensigmatic household. Well, we were. They're still up, but no longer much used. I threw a networked tuner on the rooftop (N.B.: Non-"digital") antenna a few years back and we use streaming devices on each TV to get the streams from that.

quote:
We live 30 miles from the Orlando market and 50 miles from the Tampa market.

I don't think any antenna like the ones we're using will work for you at those distances.

E.g.: One of our stations, CBC Channel 9 in Windsor, Ontario, is 40 miles away as the crow flies. The rooftop antenna receives it flawlessly. The Flatwave Amped antenna in the corner of the house in the direction of that station does not. At all. Given our elevation ASL (above sea level) and the transmitting tower's height and elevation ASL, we're LOS (line-of-sight) to that tower. And it's a major station in the area.

quote:
Originally posted by M'headSig:
I've had good luck with a MoHu "Wave" indoor antenna, but it's been discontinued.

The MoHu Leaf, perhaps? I A/B'd that against the Flatwave Amped antennas we're using. The Flatwave Amped blew the Leaf away.

The MoHu Leaf, btw, was UHF-only. The Flatwave Amped works also for VHF-High. Particularly important since the last channel repack moved a bunch of stations back down into that band. That is perhaps why it was disco'd.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Wineguard amplified antenna purchased at Home Depot for years, and it works.

I put it in the far end of the living room and ran the cable over to the TV as I have to get any antenna as far away from the high tension power lines that are outside as possible.

The power lines are between me and the TV towers, and yet with this antenna I get reception of many of the local (SE Washington) stations which are across the river from me here in NE Oregon.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As noted earlier, there is no such thing as a digital antenna. Antennas work by frequency, not type of signal

That said, many areas in Florida still have stations on VHF frequencies. You will need a VHF/UHF antenna unless you're not interested in any of the VHF stations.

Look at https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php and check for your area. You'll need to find the actual location for their transmission towers - you may have some in different directions.

If you're in a reasonable distance, you can hang the antenna in the rafters, and can put a rotator on it if you need to point in different directions. You'll lower the risk of losing the antenna in high winds from storms if it is in a protected area.

Posts: 2776 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
As ensigmatic and SigSAC mentioned, there is no such thing as a digital antenna. Just marketing.

Here's what I use. Works just fine. Position is way more important than the antenna itself.

Antenna by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I have one like this: link in my attic pointed at the towers in Ft Myers. It happens that the Tampa towers are 70 miles away from my house in the exact opposite direction, so I get those channels as well without realigning the antenna.

Posts: 11016 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Mohu leaf 50, it works well.

Posts: 5310 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Antennas Direct Clearstream 4 TV Antenna

Posts: 45393 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Antennas Direct Clearstream 2MAX TV indoor antenna on master bedroom set. Winegard HD7210P Ghost Killer outdoor yagi on home theater set.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$7.00 rabbit ears w/ a 12 inch x 12 inch piece of aluminum foil on one side,
Your results ma vary .
( I get 31 channels)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54703 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The hawk adds 10 dBi of gain to my Winegard HD7694P antenna.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the help.
I am going to first try to better aim my existing antenna.
It is in my attic and a pain to get to so I will try this during the week.
Thanks

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2575 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
Try here. https://www.antennaweb.org/viewing-options
I have used this site as I moved around.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you for all the help.
I am going to first try to better aim my existing antenna.

You best first visit rabbitears or something to get a list of the bearings to your TV stations of interest.

Hint: Yagi antennas, like the one henryaz pictured, above, receive best off the pointy end, second best off the backside (which is counter-intuitive, I know), and usually worst at right angles to their axis.

Such antennas also have smaller lobes at, for example, 45° off the antenna's axis, front and back, both sides. (45°, 135°, 225°, and 315°. To really find out what they are you have to find the antenna's polar plot, which is often not available.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob at the Beach:
Try here. https://www.antennaweb.org/viewing-options
I have used this site as I moved around.

I have found TV Fool to be a better option. Antenna Web, for example, says my antenna (linked above) is a mid-range (40-50 miles) antenna, and the manufacturer (Winegard) says the same thing. Yet it is amazing what a good, true line of sight will do for you. Using the linked antenna, I pick up all of the PHX stations, whose transmitters are located in one place (South Mountain), and yet they are 68 miles distant. I get a good strong signal on all of them, and the Winegard yagi I use is not an amplified antenna, nor do I use any inline amplification.

I mention TV Fool because if you input your GPS coordinates, it will give you the exact compass direction to point your directional antenna.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post