SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wine Fridge repair question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine Fridge repair question Login/Join 
posted
Have a wine fridge that has stopped cooling. Because of an issue with cabinet and tile install sliding it out for repair is impossible without removing tile. (a special thanks to Lowes and their contractors) I'd obviously like to avoid doing that.
Do any of you with experience working on the like think that the failed part could possibly be accessed from the inside (Haier which I'm told is GE). There are screws and it looks like a panel could come out.

Posts: 1968 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Highly unlikely.

Any access from inside, will likely be to evaporator and fan... If unit died because fan went out, you may be in luck... But I would bet it has to do with refrigerant system, maybe even something as easy as capacitor on compressor... or a leak. Either way, that stuff is in back of unit, and outside of insulated cabinet.
For future, I would never install an appliance permanently.
Everything breaks down at some point, and in this case I would be surprised that a gap wasn't required for airflow.
When you repair or replace, make sure it can go in and out easily from now on... and follow manufacturer instructions for spacing, in case they weren't followed before.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. And yes I agree on the permanent install. Wasn't by my choice.
I suspected the answer and will have to plan accordingly. Not the end of the world but it is going to be a PITA.

Posts: 1968 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to loosen the cabinet screws holding the top down and lift it enough to slide the unit out? Depending on age, likely not worth repair.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1089 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
Is it possible to loosen the cabinet screws holding the top down and lift it enough to slide the unit out? Depending on age, likely not worth repair.

Quartz countertops that are glued in with backsplash. Unit is 4+ years old. Lowes was supposed to have given me a 5 year warranty due to their screw up on the install. They've gone selective memory on me.

More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Can you sawzall the front adjuster legs off?

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1089 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
Can you sawzall the front adjuster legs off?

That is a very creative idea!

That would have him pulling out a wedge though probably with the back still too high. Perhaps something with enough reach to do the same on the rear would work too. After reinstall could slide in place, and then lift with some sort of long shims.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12431 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our wine fridge crapped out a while back. The company wanted $200 for the repair and I would have to pay shipping to CA. Hard pass. Its now a wine "cabinet".

Even if Lowes gave you a new fridge how would you get it back in?

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
I'd bite the bullet and go with a new unit and proper install.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Our wine fridge crapped out a while back. The company wanted $200 for the repair and I would have to pay shipping to CA. Hard pass. Its now a wine "cabinet".

Even if Lowes gave you a new fridge how would you get it back in?

Take a row or two of tile out, replace tile afterwards. It's why I really don't want to mess with it but house is going on the market and I don't want it screwing up a deal.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Maybe just removing and reinstalling some tile is the best route if you can get the same tile?
Then yank the defunct unit out.

Posts: 22929 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Maybe just removing and reinstalling some tile is the best route if you can get the same tile?
Then yank the defunct unit out.

Yeah I have the tile and grout. Don't have a tile saw which will be needed.

posted Hide Post
Doesn't cool is vague... does it run?
Or does it just sit there like its not plugged in to an electrical outlet?

Runs, is bad and will require removal.
Dead, could be good, if its just a cold control (thermostat).

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post