SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The phone assult continues - I've started a new counter attack
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The phone assult continues - I've started a new counter attack Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
When I was young, many decades ago, I was taught that I should be polite on the phone. But I think that is an outmoded concept. There is no reason to be polite to a liar or someone who probably isn't telling me the truth. Do I have any responsibility to be polite to interlopers who are trying to scam me?

100% correct here sir.

I was raised by parents who told me to be polite to strangers, be polite on the phone, etc. Basically be polite with people and kill them with kindness.

Well that was all fine and dandy. Until I became a police officer. And I quickly learned, that some people, don't deserve a polite response.

Some jerk being rude? Yeah, no, he doesn't deserve a kind, polite, response.

Some criminal sizing you up, deciding if you are his next victim? Fuck off shit-stain, I don't have time for assholes. I learned in prison as a prison gaurd that the "nice guys" are the "victimized guys". The assholes, are usually left alone.

My kids are growing up now, and I'll be sure to remind them that some folks are worthy of a kind and polite disposition. Others, not so much.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cabellocabeza
posted Hide Post
I do like messing with the scammers. Especially when I hear the Indian accent type voice I enjoy making the call dificult for them.

I am bilingual, I speak English and Spanish. I may answer the phone in English but then switch to Spanish with mixed Engish.

Things like ...Lo siento, no hablo Ingles dumb ass. Then when they start to talk, I start talking at the same time and I say things like... Where is my money?

They usually hang up quickly.

My idea behind doing this is that if enough people did this type of thing, they would stop calling.

Posts: 40 | Registered: July 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I have learned that when the waiter in a Mexican restaurant speaks to you in Spanish (just to be annoyingly cute), replying and ordering in German (just to be annoyingly cute, also) is counter productive to the goal of enjoying your dining experience.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15901 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a whistle.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
If I get a live one I advise them to please consider getting a more respectable job like prostitution!

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
Get yourself a whistle.
I like that. Simple, inexpensive, and brutal.

Posts: 107647 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
It's been posted before, but it is such a classic. While I don't personally condone impersonating the police, Tom Mabe's homicide investigation is the best telemarketing response ever.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The Indian and Pakistani scammers all seem to go off into "I fuck your mother" and stuff like that, once you make it clear you know it's a scam. No, it hasn't happened to me because I never answer a phone call unless I recognize the number, but you can find tons of that stuff on youtube. When they start in with "I fuck your mother" tell them "I hope you have a shovel, because she's in the ground."

Them: "I fuck your daughter!"

You:"I don't have a daughter. I have a dog, though. You wanna fuck my dog?"

Them: "I come to your house!"

You: "I shoot you in the ass."

Them: "I send police to your house!"

You: "I'm on vacation."

I love the Indian/Pakistani "IRS Agents" who call from the Boiler Room in the background.

When I am ready for them to break character, I usually ask "Is your Mother proud of what you do?"

They go ape $hit!!

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I normally don't answer if I don't recognize the number, but this week I've been waiting on calls from a roofing guy and the doctor's office, so I've gotten hit by a few telemarketers/scammers. I've resorted to something I was taught by one of the DIs in the academy. Dude was a marine veteran, and a real hard ass...but a really good guy and an excellent instructor. He had a way with words. One night when we were being released for chow, he told us to be back by 18:00, "and if you're not, kill yourself!" Short, simple, and to the point.

These days, if I get ambushed by some real life salesman/scammer that won't take the hint and go away, I just say "kill yourself", and hang up. Maybe someday one will take my advice and make the world a better place. Maybe not. But I can dream. Life lessons from Lt. A Big Grin!

Posts: 8594 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually have fun with the Indian guys who call trying to run the "I am IRS Agent Chris" scam. I usually listen to them, pretend to be really frightened, and then I am "frightened", I yell at them in Hindi/Urdu/Punjabi, and cuss them to the point that those scam artists are without words, and they start whining that I have insulted their mothers/fathers/grandparents etc.

However, the recommendation to use a whistle is a good one, I will have fun with those Indian scammers, and I will enjoy blowing their ears out when I blow the whistle right into their ears.

Now, I wonder where I can buy a good whistle locally? Do you have any recommendations for your prefered brand of whistle?
-Sid

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I like to "money tease" them. As soon as they present their case, which is usually something along the lines of: If I don't pay this money right now, things will only get much worse for me - I start acting scared and act as if I want to give them my financial information so this matter can be resolved right now! Usually, I can sense their excitement. Then I tell them Allah sucks donkey dick and hang up.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10707 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post