SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sterilizing facemasks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sterilizing facemasks Login/Join 
posted
I am high risk and recently found some face masks for sale but was leery of them since they were made in China. I packed them into my So Clean CPAP cleaning machine, put the hose into the port and turned it on. If it kills 99.9% of germs, I think this might be good enough.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't even know where to start with what's wrong with all that, man.
You're buying masks- that the news media has convinced you that you must have, but in reality are worthless against this virus- and you're buying these masks from China, the unethical, unreliable, lying, world-screwing-up-and-needs-to-disappear SHIT HOLE THAT CAUSED THIS ENTIRE MESS.

And you want to disnfect these masks before you wear them. Using a CPAP machine.

You think I'm laughing at you? I'm not, but I am urging you to snap out of it. Just put all that stuff away. Get your money back from the disgusting Chinese company that sold them to you, and stop worrying about this virus. Stop, please, and think this through.

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The news media has created a mental health crisis never seen before. I know of people that have not left their home since March, others that are having panic attacks and those depressed because they may not have a job when this stupidity ends. The mental health crisis will cost much more than Covid.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I agree with Para..China has got to go. Why on gods green earth would anyone buy anything from China. My shit assed state just bought some millions of dollars worth of masks from China. Yes, I am shaking my head as I type this. Why deal with China on anything.

But on the other hand, if your masks are the flat/pleated kind, hit them with an iron set on super hot.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Regardless of whether the mask is needed, or will even work, the machine might work - but without knowing for sure you'd be taking a chance.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
This has got to be a joke.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
The chinese crap masks are shit.

However, if it makes you feel better, and you have several, just hang up the one you wore in the garage or some place, lightly spritz some Lysol at it, and let it hang for a week. The virus dies after a few days. Wear another, if you must, during the meantime. Repeat as necessary. In other words, rotate them.

I think this will ease your concerns.

Don’t put ANYTHING in your cpap cleaner except cpap items.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
If it's cloth, just wash it. I have to wear one at work. When I get home I wash it in the sink with dish soap and hang it on a doorknob to dry. I grab it on the way out the door the next day.

If it's paper or or one of the crappy Chinese KN95 masks, it's been in the package long enough that anything that might have been on it is long dead, not that there would have been anything on it in the first place.

Don't be paranoid.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Setting aside whether you need masks or whether China is the place to get them, once they have been in a box for more than a week or so, viruses aren't alive any more.

They don't need to be sterilized.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You bought a bunch. Rotate them. One for each day of the week. The 6 days between uses will kill whatever might have got on them.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
I work in radiation therapy centers. I’m required to wear a surgical or N95 mask while in the building. When I’m not wearing my masks, they reside on the dashboard of my truck, letting the sun’s heat and UV do their thing. I also replace them every few days.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Soap and water is all that is necessary. That is how you wash your hands. Friction of the object rubbing together and the soap breaks down the oils and allows the germs to wash off.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Dashboard in the sun is my solution.
Otherwise, my delayed New Years resolution is to never buy anything Chinese. Even from a country nearby because it's likely that it really came from China.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Otherwise, my delayed New Years resolution is to never buy anything Chinese. Even from a country nearby because it's likely that it really came from China.
I'm with you but it's not that simple. So much of the everyday items in our lives come from disgusting, unethical, intellectual-property-stealing, lying about EVERYTHING China. You can't turn around anywhere without bumping into some Chinese-made crap. We're saturated in their cheap shit. Steeped in it. We have to stop.

It's going to take a long time- years if not decades= to rid ourselves of the cheap, stinking crap from these vermin.

So, make your resolution, but not for the new year. Make your resolution a lifetie resolution. Bore the fuck out of your friends with it. Ask sales people or company reps about the origins of items. If we're gonna do it, let's by God do iyt right and do it all the way.

Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
If they're the cloth masks without the metal strip across the nose, I would think that zapping it in the microwave would kill any cooties.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Douse them in kerosene and set them alight.

Preferably, this step should be taken with the mask off of your face.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I'm with you but it's not that simple. So much of the everyday items in our lives come from disgusting, unethical, intellectual-property-stealing, lying about EVERYTHING China. You can't turn around anywhere without bumping into some Chinese-made crap. We're saturated in their cheap shit. Steeped in it. We have to stop.

It's going to take a long time- years if not decades= to rid ourselves of the cheap, stinking crap from these vermin.

So, make your resolution, but not for the new year. Make your resolution a lifetie resolution. Bore the fuck out of your friends with it. Ask sales people or company reps about the origins of items. If we're gonna do it, let's by God do iyt right and do it all the way.

I'm with you. And agree that because of decades of their encroachment into almost everything, we can't be 100% pure overnight.
We can however, look at everything we buy, every decision we make, and try to minimize the Chinese content.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
If they're the cloth masks without the metal strip across the nose, I would think that zapping it in the microwave would kill any cooties.

Not recommend, though. They can catch fire.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention if they're KN95 masks or just paper/cloth. Just a word of warning: KN95 respirators (assuming they really are, considering the source) need special handling for disinfecting.

You should not use liquids to clean (K)N95 masks. Getting them wet destroys the electrostatic properties of the filter matrix, a big part of how they trap small particles. This includes water, Lysol, hydrogen peroxide solution, alcohol, etc.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
One of my distributors called excited about having found kn95 masks by the case of 1000. All for the low price of $3500. I told him my dirty sweat socks are doing just fine. Imagine getting price gouged for chinese shit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5909 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post