SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Massachusetts enacts more gun laws
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Massachusetts enacts more gun laws Login/Join 
posted
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...2648c0e971af3&ei=128

Live fire training requirement, ‘assault style weapon’ ban signed into law in Bay State

A statewide registration system was also added among a broad range of other provisions.

Jim Wallace, the Executive Director of the Gun Owners Action League, told The Boston Herald that GOAL will challenge the law in court.

According to Gov. Maura Healey, An Act Modernizing Firearms Laws is meant to respond to the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc. v. Bruen, which overturned state laws making it more difficult to obtain a firearms license, and as a reaction to the growing prevalence of so-called ghost guns.

“Massachusetts is proud of our strong gun laws, but there is always more work to be done to keep our communities safe from violence. This legislation updates our firearms laws in response to the Supreme Court’s misguided Bruen decision. It cracks down on ghost guns and 3-D printed weapons, which I have long advocated for, enhances our ability to prevent guns from falling into dangerous hands, and invests in our communities to address the root causes of violence. This law will save lives,” Healey said in a statement.

The law, which passed with the support of the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association, was met with widespread praise from gun safety groups.

“For years, we’ve been on the frontlines, advocating for our lawmakers to enact this gun safety bill into law, and we couldn’t be more excited to finally see our hard work pay off as the Governor signs this critical legislation into law,” Moms Demand Action Massachusetts volunteer Maxine Slattery said.
“Today, Massachusetts can hold its head high: our reputation for strong life-saving gun laws just got even stronger,” Grassroots for Gun Violence Prevention founder Jennifer Robison said.

“Gun violence is an evolving challenge that requires a comprehensive set of solutions. Whether it’s stopping the flow of untraceable ghost guns into communities or banning Glock switches and other similar devices, this bill tackles those head on,” former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords said.

Wallace has described the law as a “tantrum” by lawmakers in response to the Supreme Court’s decision in Bruen, which ended the state’s long-standing practice of leaving a person’s eligibility for a license to carry a firearm to the discretion of their local police chief and whatever hurdles they might imagine necessary.

According to GOAL’s review of the law, it expands the state’s “two feature test” for determining what qualifies as an “assault-style firearm” to effectively ban “every firearm that is semi-automatic centerfire utilizing a detachable magazine” and would prohibit the purchase, sale, transfer, or import of AR-15s or other similar-style weapons after August 1.

It would require gun owners to register all of their firearms with the state, including partially assembled weapons except firearms made before Oct. 22, 1968, to report ammunition purchases at the point of sale, and ban automatic weapon conversion tools like bump stocks and auto sears.

The new law will raise the age to buy a shotgun or rifle in the Bay State to 21, prohibit the carrying of firearms in polling places, government buildings, or schools, and broaden the list of people who can file for an “Extreme Risk Protection Order” to include school administrators and healthcare providers.

The law bans the possession of “unserialized” weapons, otherwise known as ghost guns, which can be made using a 3-D printer or assembled from a kit.

Under the new law, new firearms license applicants will now be required to participate in state mandated safety training, which will include live fire exercises and “disengagement training.” Current license holders will be “grandfathered” into the new law and will not have to complete live fire training.

According to the Harvard Law Review, in the wake of Bruen, the state’s decision to include a live-fire requirement may have gone too far.

“Jurisdictions that require applicants for handgun carry licenses to complete a shooting qualification test need to furnish affirmative proof that conditioning the armed self-defense right on a scored live-fire exercise comports with the historical tradition of firearm regulation — no such tradition exists,” the legal review journal wrote.

Posts: 2805 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
I shake my head at the US birthplace of Liberty. Just as here, it’s like banging one’s head against the wall; like battling the inexorable tide.

Yet, I’ll continue to battle, as must people in Massachusetts.

Posts: 3005 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
2 years and I’m out of this God forsaken place. Some will say we should stay and fight for our rights. There is no fighting these cocksucker heathens. They don’t care about our rights.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12598 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The new law will raise the age to buy a shotgun or rifle in the Bay State to 21,

These are the same people that want to lower the voting age to 16

Posts: 796 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:
quote:
The new law will raise the age to buy a shotgun or rifle in the Bay State to 21,

These are the same people that want to lower the voting age to 16

Or claim that 8 year old children are competent to take puberty blockers to transition genders.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
More gun control laws = more gun crime. Mass. will see an increase in gun crime.

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10819 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
It’s a shame that the politicians are never the targets

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I grew up in the northeast (CT) and it's got a lot of history and beautiful places.
My first big decision when I reached adulthood was to move south and I still have zero doubt 50 years later that it was the right move.
Things haven't improved since I left.

Posts: 9785 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course they will enact more gun laws, instead of dealing with the real situation and put/keep real criminals behind bars.

Posts: 7045 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Link

Mass. Bill is an Assault on 2A Rights

The Firearm Industry Trade Association (NSSF) is calling out Massachusetts lawmakers for a controversial bill that aims to downgrade Second Amendment rights to mere state privileges, bypassing industry input and ignoring criminal accountability in firearm misuse.

The Massachusetts House and Senate hammered out the contentious legislation behind closed doors, ignoring the firearm industry and rushing to pass a 111-page bill as the session winds down.

This “compromise” infringes on citizens’ rights to keep and bear arms by imposing unconstitutional age restrictions, magazine limits, and rigorous licensing, along with searchable databases that threaten personal privacy.

Jake McGuigan, NSSF’s Managing Director for Government Relations – State Affairs, criticized the bill’s hasty push.

“The legislature had the opportunity to do something truly special with a strong bill to address violence. Instead, the bill aims to suppress the exercise of the Second Amendment by implementing onerous training requirements just to purchase a firearm, bans all of the most commonly-used guns in America and implements a draconian gun registration scheme that criminals will ignore,” he said in a press release obtained by GunsAmerica.

“It even makes it illegal for a 15-year-old Boy Scout to use a .22 caliber rifle to earn a merit badge. Judges continue to set free criminals in the Commonwealth while the legislature makes law-abiding citizens immediate felons,” he added.

Provisions of the bill include:

• Full registration of ALL guns.

• Onerous licensing and administrative requirements on retailers. For example, all guns in inventory need to be registered with the state before they are even sold.

• Bans all legally-owned magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds. Those standard-capacity magazines already lawfully owned would be barred from transfer.

• State police would create a roster of banned semi-automatic rifles and database of all guns.

• Commissions to study “technologies” like microstamping that has already been proven by independent peer review research to be flawed and unreliable.

• Live-fire requirement despite the fact there are very few public ranges where this can be done.

• Publicly searchable in database of all lawful firearm owners.
    Creates another government database to issue serial numbers for all firearms.

Small, independent retailers will be saddled with inventory they can no longer sell.

Retailers, particularly small businesses, face the challenge of holding unsellable inventory under these regulations. Noncompliance with the registration mandate could lead to hefty fines or imprisonment, with penalties escalating for repeated offenses.

This legislative move follows the Supreme Court’s Bruen decision, reaffirmed by Justice Clarence Thomas, emphasizing that the right to bear arms publicly for self-defense is a robust individual right, not a privilege contingent on government approval.

The proposed Massachusetts legislation blatantly violates constitutional protections for adults under 21 and represents an overt assault on the rights of Massachusetts’ law-abiding citizens, treating them unfairly in the eyes of the law while doing little to address actual criminal behavior.

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
This bullshit will be struck down in court, but it will take time and lots of money. It will blatantly be struck down. These assholes should be billed when their "law" doesn't stand up in court.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17575 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I try not to make assumptions about laws like this, but I’m guessing it doesn’t apply to the police and certain other selected groups? Or does it affect everyone, and the police are got no to have to start stocking up on mini 14’s with 10rd mags?

- Bret

Posts: 2475 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
There is no method for a person to apply for a firearms license after 8/1 because the MA State Police do not have the system in place to do it and satisfy the new law. This is so unconstitutional and removes ones rights to apply to own arms.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2430 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that will mark the end of shootings in Boston.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38188 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was shocked several years ago and found all guns, even private sales are registered in MA.

I was given a look at the computer screen at the gun store I was buying a new gun. All my MA-purchased guns were listed. They are attached to your MA gun license in the database.

Posts: 4760 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
You guys learned all that garbage from us in NY.

Posts: 3537 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Yet another reason not to live in Taxachusetts.

Sam Adams is rolling over in his grave.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
Sam Adams is rolling over in his grave.

Many of my ancestors from that area are rolling in their graves! Including one who was on the Lexington green to confront the government agents sent to confiscate civilian arms on April 19, 1775.

The Founders would not comprehend what has become of us. The politicians today who promote these obviously unConstitutional laws are traitors.

Posts: 9709 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
firearms license
What does this mean? Carry permit? To purchase or possess?

Posts: 28587 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post