SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yellowstone and Jackson Hole
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yellowstone and Jackson Hole Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Maybe most important. While you’re in the GYA, make a point of getting outside well after dark one night and look up. God’s gift.

Are the Northern Lights (Aurora) visible from here? Or not sufficiently north enough?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Maybe most important. While you’re in the GYA, make a point of getting outside well after dark one night and look up. God’s gift.

Are the Northern Lights (Aurora) visible from here? Or not sufficiently north enough?

Not typically, but the Milky Way is right on top of you.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We've visited twice, in Sept, last time was 11 years ago. We liked lodging outside the park but did stay at the Lake lodge on our first visit. We wanted access to the major wildlife viewing areas, that lodger was close to Hayden Valley. Last time saw quite a few Wolves and plenty of Bison, Elk.

We've stayed twice in West Yellowstone, we were early to the park and didn't deal with much traffic. We always had good wildlife sightings by the Madison River area, Elk and Otters.

The best place we've stayed was in Cooke City, the B&B/Lodge was terrific. We had relatively easy access to Lamar Valley, saw Wolves, Grizzly, Pronghorn, Elk and lots of Bison. Bison are everywhere, interesting to watch.

https://www.skylineguestranch.com/

Yellowstone covers a huge area, lots of driving. You have to be out at dawn or dusk for the best wildlife.

On our first trip we stayed in Jackson a couple of nights. Really enjoyed the Tetons, did a little hiking, drove around a bit.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Keep an eye on the road reports for construction after the flooding. We’re close enough we have never stayed in the park.

If you get a chance, The Gunbarrel Steak House in Jackson Hole is good. Jackson Hole Gun Club also puts on a pretty good USPSA match. The tram at Grand Targee ski area has some good views. Mormon Row, the Elk refuge and such is worth a drive past. On the dirt road into the refuge you get to through town you can often see bighorn and other less common wildlife.

http://cameras.americanalpinec...eras/gtcr/webcam.jpg

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Whats the weather like at Yellowstone the last week of October?

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of good stuff already mentioned, two things that'll add:

1) Visiting National Park, double check the traffic conditions, road closures and developing situations. Flooding and fires are an issue that can throw a wrench into any plans, just keep an eye on things as they develop.

2) Also when visiting a NP, I always take in one or, two of the free Ranger-led programs; usually they're listed in the paper you get upon entering. Whether it's a basic hike, animal watching, geology talks, etc. Irregardless, you get a richer experience by interacting with somebody who's there and can give some color and perspective to what you're looking at. Yellowstone is an animal watching paradise, get away from the roadside idiots, pack a thermos & binoculars for an early morning animal watching experience. Always fun to watching bald eagles finding breakfast, a grizzly wandering around or, a pack of wolves warming up in the morning, a much more engaging experience than most park visitors get.

3) I wouldn't get too wound-up on location, after all you're there for the natural scenery. All I ask for is clean sheets, some hot water pressure and a good lock.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Absolutely come into Yellowstone from the northeast and the Beartooth Highway. It's one of the most scenic drives in America and will be a highlight of the trip. Just make sure to fill up the tank in Red Lodge before you get into the mountains. There's gas in Cooke City, but it's expensive.

Check on closures. The North and Northeast Entrances are currently closed from the flooding they had.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Old Faithful is fun and historic. Easy walk
to the geyser and buffalo. The trail to the lower geothermic area is right there. I've also stayed in the cabins. And the Lake Yellowstone Hotel. The Hotel is very nice and expensive.

The cabins were no fun here for us.

When we were there, we had the best diner burger and fries at the Fishing Bridge Store.

See the mud pots and Mammoth Falls, too. You'll go through the Roosevelt Arch at Gardiner. Pass the old army base and find Mammoth.

On the way back, head out the east gate and go see the Buffalo Bill Cody Center. It is a world-class museum. Keep on to Sheridan and there's another lodge that Bill helped build. He used to audition Wild West acts from the Porch.

If you head back east on I-80, North Platte has the Scout's Rest. Another ranch of Buffalo Bill. Pretty interesting and cheap when we went.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ChuckWall,

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
For Jackson area:

Although small and sometimes crowded, the Moose to Wilson road is a good twilight drive. Almost always see moose or elk, occasionally a black bear.

You should get a drink in the Million Dollar Cowboy bar or lunch at the Wort Hotel. Touristy but pretty fun. I’ve not stayed at the Wort but I’ve heard good things.

Jackson is definitely touristy but at least they took the Starbucks off the Square. Restaurants are staffed mostly by summer help so the service is not great usually. The GunBarrel is pretty good still but it’s a nicer place.

Thomas Mangelsen has a photo a gallery there. https://www.mangelsen.com/

The Snake River Brewery has good beer, but it’s super loud and poor service the last couple times. We won’t go back.

LOCAL, a burger place next to the Cowboy Bar is decent.

I’ve been told the Lexington is a good hotel.

Yellowstone:
The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is very nice.
Lamar Valley generally has a good amount of wildlife.
Definitely travel early in the morning and have patience. Bring a cooler and stock up outside the park and a get full tank of gas. Bring a jug of water and bug repellent. It can get cool in the evening but probably similar to your area.

If you have time and get that far west, there is the Mesa Falls area toward Island Park, ID and Henry’s Fork of the Snake River with amazing fishing. Virginia City, MT is fun to walk around.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Was just at the Wort Hotel several weeks ago…our pilots overnight there. It’s a nice place, but VERY expensive. My Captain asked the front desk what they charge per night for the crew rate and he told me they said $850. Eek He didn’t ask what the normal rate is. The room isn’t worth $850, as there is nothing special about it. If it included one or two meals per day and some adult beverages, I might pay that. The area scenery IS beautiful, but it’s a tourist trap. Breakfast, while very good, was $35-ish at a place called the Rabbit or Bunny Cafe, or something like that. And that was just for me.

My thinking was that if I wanted to revisit the area, I’d rent an RV from someplace 100 miles or so away and drive into/around the area and rough it away from the hotels. JMHO…

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Absolutely come into Yellowstone from the northeast and the Beartooth Highway. It's one of the most scenic drives in America and will be a highlight of the trip. Just make sure to fill up the tank in Red Lodge before you get into the mountains. There's gas in Cooke City, but it's expensive.
Check on closures. The North and Northeast Entrances are currently closed from the flooding they had.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Here's the view from the top of the Beartooth in case the road closures keep you from seeing it in person Frown

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Late September one year we stayed at Old Faithful Lodge for a few days and went to Mammoth Hot Springs (NW corner of YNP).

It was at the start of elk rut and the herd took over Mammoth.

We stayed in a cabin in Mammoth and would absolutely do it again.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

on the contrary.. I would see them in Missoula all the time

Last month they were visible most nights for almost 2 weeks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Uh-huh

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

That wasn't the northern lights, that was all the pot smoke wafting around. Big Grin

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Uh-huh

A few examples on west side of Flathead lake. Friends were seeing them as far south as Hamilton and Stevensville in the Bitteroot Valley.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
snwghst, recall the phrase I used, “not typically.” I stand by that. Of course, the A.B. isn’t typically seen anywhere in the world in July. Agreed?

No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Was just at the Wort Hotel several weeks ago…our pilots overnight there. It’s a nice place, but VERY expensive. My Captain asked the front desk what they charge per night for the crew rate and he told me they said $850. Eek He didn’t ask what the normal rate is. The room isn’t worth $850, as there is nothing special about it. If it included one or two meals per day and some adult beverages, I might pay that. The area scenery IS beautiful, but it’s a tourist trap. Breakfast, while very good, was $35-ish at a place called the Rabbit or Bunny Cafe, or something like that. And that was just for me.

My thinking was that if I wanted to revisit the area, I’d rent an RV from someplace 100 miles or so away and drive into/around the area and rough it away from the hotels. JMHO…

Our crews stay at the Snow King. Regular rates seem to be around $300-$400 per night. Good rooms, lots of western ambiance. There are hiking trails right from the hotel up the mountain, and the ski area is right there. Walking to the main square in town takes about 10 minutes.

About a decade ago I was staying there during the airline ski federation national meet. The party was in full swing when we arrived around 10 pm for our reduced-rest overnight. Two of the drunkest flight attendants started talking to us and followed us into the elevator, asking where we'd been because we were late to the party. When they heard we worked early in the morning they bailed out looking for better prospects.

That hotel always seemed to have a party going on during tourist season.

Years and years ago they put us up at an old motel near the square, then we moved to a nice hotel just off the square, but some fools decided to skinny dip in the outdoor hot tub and the company got booted. The Snow King was a good upgrade other than not being right at the square.

Posts: 9443 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Whats the weather like at Yellowstone the last week of October?

Two years ago we got a light dusting of snow the last day I was there. First week in Oct.

Mornings I have pictures staring the day in a fleece with puffy coat. Later in the day just a long sleeve shirt and sometimes a tee. I don’t remember the temps.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
snwghst, recall the phrase I used, “not typically.” I stand by that. Of course, the A.B. isn’t typically seen anywhere in the world in July. Agreed?

I respectfully disagree. I’ve seen them during July in Big Piney, on top of Gannet and Freemont Peaks. I won’t continue the disagreement and take the thread away from its purpose