SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the shnizzle in fishing line theses days.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the shnizzle in fishing line theses days. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Strange, I did not realize there was anything just ther than Stren 8lb lo vis green.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
I agree but if we're talking small bass and trout I see no reason to spend the extra dough for flour line when braid or even mono will work.

If the OP is looking for lake trout I would think braid would be more beneficial if fishing deeper waters while trolling or drifting.

Posts: 1316 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I use Fireline with a heavy flouro leader. As long as I use a Palomar knot I don't have any problems. I've fished with guys that tie bad knots on the super-filaments and have issues with breaks at the knot.

Posts: 2549 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:
I use Fireline with a heavy flouro leader. As long as I use a Palomar knot I don't have any problems. I've fished with guys that tie bad knots on the super-filaments and have issues with breaks at the knot.

knots have to be wet with fluoro before cinching. if you don't lubricate before cinching, the friction will cause heat which weakens the fluoro.

and the palomar is the king.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steelcityfishanddive:
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by steelcityfishanddive:
Fluoro isn't for spooling, it's for leader material.

I don't know if you could possibly be more wrong.

That's OK. Stick to the small stuff that might not even be big enough for me to use as bait.

Perhaps you should provide relevant answers to questions. Op is going fishing in MN. Nobody gives a fuck about what you do or don't use for bait.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

knots have to be wet with fluoro before cinching. if you don't lubricate before cinching, the friction will cause heat which weakens the fluoro.

and the palomar is the king.

Thanks for adding that, I always lick the knot before I tighten it up.

Posts: 2549 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:

I always lick the knot before I tighten it up.

That's how you get your kinks, eh. Eek

I fish for bass in Texas. Tried fluorocarbon but found it broke too easily, so I went back to using mono for fast moving lures that benefit from a bit of stretch on the bite, like spinnerbaits, topwaters and crankbaits. I like braided line for soft plastics, jig-and-craws, and such because of the abrasion resistance and sensitivity.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:

I always lick the knot before I tighten it up.

That's how you get your kinks, eh. Eek

I fish for bass in Texas. Tried fluorocarbon but found it broke too easily, so I went back to using mono for fast moving lures that benefit from a bit of stretch on the bite, like spinnerbaits, topwaters and crankbaits. I like braided line for soft plastics, jig-and-craws, and such because of the abrasion resistance and sensitivity.

AbraisX (sp?) is a nice flouro with decent abrasion resistance.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Berkley Nanofil 17 lb I use it steelhead fishing here in the pnw best of both worlds. I also use power pro. all my leaders are maxima ultra green. single on leader doubleon braid pitzen knot.

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
My other setup is a little heavier, and I have flourocarbon line on it. I don't like it right now. It is as invisible as hell and has little stretch, but it isn't limp and does tend to have some memory.

What kind of fluoro line have you used?

If you aren't quite ready to give up on fluoro, you might try Seaguar InvisX - I find it is pretty castable. A lot of the bass fishing nuts love the Seaguar Tatsu, which is about twice as expensive as InvisX (which isn't cheap to start with).

There are also fluoro coated lines like PLine Floroclear, which is mono with a fluoro coating. It feels about like mono but is less visible in the water.

I'll take that into account.

It isn't so much visibility that I wanted - the lesser amount of stretch and toughness were the main attractors. I think I am using a flourocarbon from Berkely.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I might have part of a spool of InvisX left over somewhere, I'll look later. If I can find it and you want it I'll send it to you or drop it off or something. You can see if you like how it feels.

I haven't tried Berkley's fluoro lines but I REALLY didn't like the Berkley Vanish fluoro leader when I tried it.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post