SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smoked Beef Brisket
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoked Beef Brisket Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
As much as I like a good hunk of smoked brisket (and I very much do), the king of meats (which I'm reading as the best cut of beef)? No. That would be the rib (as in prime rib or rib steak) or the short loin (porterhouse, NY strip, Filet Mignon.)

The brisket needs smoking or other low slow cooking techniques because it's naturally tough, and needs to be broken down. The other's I mentioned aren't and don't.

When it is cooked low and slow, it becomes divine. Any fool can cook a decent prime rib, or New York strip. It takes an artist to make good brisket, and then the flavor - it is the king of meats.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Standing rib roast is my next project after a Thanksgiving TurkeySmile

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1736 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Hit 160 at about 3.5 hours.

Posts: 1736 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Is that a packer brisket or just the flat? The first pic looked like a full packer but if you're hitting 160 after just three hours I'm thinking that's the flat only?

I have never foiled a brisket. The most I'll do is pan it but don't cover and that's to catch the juices for a good au jus.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I think it's the "full packer". This is only the second one I have done. Not too sure to be honest. I had to carve a lot of fat out of the middle of it.

Here's some more pics of the whole cook so far:
https://imgur.com/a/OQ8Y1Kk

Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
People stand in line for hours to eat this guy’s cooking. The links below may reveal the reason the waiting line is always long.

BBQ With Franklin: The Brisket
https://youtu.be/VmTzdMHu5KU

BBQ With Franklin: The Cook
https://youtu.be/pGZ39yYxeBk

BBQ With Franklin: The Payoff
https://youtu.be/sMIlyzRFUjU

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
At 160 you still have a way to go.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
160F is the stall. Got to push on through to 195-200F.

Posts: 10824 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I learned from the Franklin BBQ videos. I wrap also. Never needed to add any beef broth.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
You needs you some meal protection, son.
H&K-Guy

10 4

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
This was so phenomenally good, wow! Best cook I've had all year.

Got some grease on my phone lens, dammit! Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
At 160 you still have a way to go.

quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
160F is the stall. Got to push on through to 195-200F.

Yep I pulled it at 160, then wrapped in foil and brought up to 200. Let it sit for almost 2 hours. This was an amazingly easy and delicious cook. Got 4 big chunks to put in the food saver and freeze too!

I have updated pics here:
https://imgur.com/a/OQ8Y1Kk

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Nice job! Where in MN are you from you can't be more than 6 hours from me! I'll be there!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Oh hell yeah. Nicely done, sir.

And yes, this native Texan would forever choose a perfectly done brisket over any perfectly done prime rib. When it’s done right, it’s just better. It ain’t the cut, it’s the cook. I grew up on Chris Ivey Brisket, and sad to see he’s not longer at it.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got some grease on my phone lens, dammit!

Just tells you, you're doing it right. Outstanding choice of protection too.

Keep up the good work!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20843 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Nice job! Where in MN are you from you can't be more than 6 hours from me! I'll be there!

SE, by CrotchesterSmile

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
People stand in line for hours to eat this guy’s cooking. The links below may reveal the reason the waiting line is always long.

Good videos, thanks!

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That looked good. ^

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
Looks fantastic!

Im a big smoked meat fan. I regularly smoke brisket, pork shoulder, homemqde hatch green chili hot links, and lots of things youd have never thought to try smoking.

Your brisket makes me wanna fire up the smoker. I think o know how im cooking our thanksgiving turkey.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks goood

Posts: 1571 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Barbeque brisket is the king of meats. I'd just about rather eat it than any steak.

This! I loves me some good smoked beef brisket. Big Grin

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9370 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post