SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Louisiana Legislature passes Constitutional Carry, sends it to Governor Landry to sign into law
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Louisiana Legislature passes Constitutional Carry, sends it to Governor Landry to sign into law Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
https://www.ksla.com/2024/03/0...-1-gov-landrys-desk/

For those who don't know, Jeff Landry, Louisiana's new governor, is a Republican, so, I imagine he will sign this into law and it will take effect this summer.

Now if we can get South Carolina on board, we'll be cookin' with gas.

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
That would make Louisiana number 28. Had to go look that up.

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Yes, South Carolina has always been lagging behind for anyone out of state.
For me it would be the most useful nearby state to have improve their CCW laws.
Now North Carolina needs to get with the times too.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Great news Boss!

Congratulations LA.

Come on SC, hammer something together in reconciliation committee as a first pass and fix it next time if needed. "Perfection is the enemy of progress".

Posts: 3535 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Supposed to go into affect on July 4th . Most of the existing language concerning CC will remain .

Posts: 4272 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Awesome news! Very cool how so many states have gone to permitless or constitutional carry in recent years.

Posts: 9250 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
Great news!

Posts: 671 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Now North Carolina needs to get with the times too.
Don't hold your breath.

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Minnesota is trending the opposite way unfortunately. The rural areas are heavy with gun owners and the local reps were always pretty hesitant about any gun restrictions. Now the current administration could care less about the rural votes as it's the metro areas that decide and the metro areas are all rigged.

So they are in a full court press to pass gun restrictions.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Didn't they almost get it a few years ago but the previous governor vetoed it? Glad to see common sense prevailing.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Didn't they almost get it a few years ago but the previous governor vetoed it? Glad to see common sense prevailing.
Yes , the legislation made it to the Governor and he shut it down . He was a Democrat that called himself a moderate but he held to the party line as much as he could .

Posts: 4272 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to those living in Louisiana if this becomes law. I would love to see Virginia do the same (lololol). I’m 20 mins from that border and some hiking trails I like Start in freedom but cross into Virginia in short order. My carry permit from Utah isn’t recognized by VA so my liberty is limited.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Since our last election Virginia seems to be heading in the opposite direction. There have been a bunch of gun control bills passed and are headed to our Republican governor's desk. Thank God he has veto power and he's going to be a busy man the next few weeks. Great news for Louisiana however.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1903 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Minnesota is trending the opposite way unfortunately. The rural areas are heavy with gun owners and the local reps were always pretty hesitant about any gun restrictions. Now the current administration could care less about the rural votes as it's the metro areas that decide and the metro areas are all rigged.

So they are in a full court press to pass gun restrictions.

Governor didn't even campaign outside the metro area. He's even afraid to go to events outside the metro area for fear of ridicule.

Thread drift, but it looked difficult and sounded so hard for him to discuss the three murders of first responders-looked horribly uncomfortable in his feeble effort to.

Posts: 3014 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Louisiana's law applies to anyone who is 18 and not prohibited, not just to Louisiana residents. So y'all are all welcome here. Or will be soon.

Without researching I think in other states it's about 50/50 on constitutional carry applying only to residents of the state. So I'll keep my CHP for traveling.

Posts: 3547 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
28 (to 22) and growing.

Q

Posts: 27621 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Texas already has/had reciprocity with Louisiana with regard to License to Carry law, but this is GREAT news for Louisianians!!!!

Congrats to The Pelican State!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LA constitutional carry is for residents and does not have reciprocity with other states.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
LA constitutional carry is for residents and does not have reciprocity with other states.

I'm pretty sure the version that passed eliminated the "resident" language, and applies to anyone of age who is not prohibited.

But you are correct in that it says nothing about reciprocity. Reciprocity is provided by having a CHP. Although some other states, like Louisiana, do not specify residents only.

Posts: 3547 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
It's good for people that need it. I've had a CHP since they started here in the 90's. And as a Honorably Discharged Veteran I can CC here in La too.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post