SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can't do the time, don't do the crime...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't do the time, don't do the crime... Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
Two men were charged in the shooting of a man in 2003. Both were sentenced to prison. One did his time and was released, the other is still incarcerated. The man who was shot recently passed away due to his injuries. They are now bringing up homicide charges on both men. I guess you can't call them suspects at this point.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.co...icide-charges-filed/

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Pittsburgh Police have filed homicide charges against two men in connection with a 2003 robbery and shooting in the Smithfield Street Garage.
Marty Armstrong Jr. and Lamont Fulton are now facing criminal homicide charges in the case following 66-year-old Michael Lahoff’s death earlier this week.
The shooting happened in the downtown parking garage in January 2003. According to police, Lahoff was walking to his car when he was shot in the back. Police believe one of the two men arrested was trying to rob Lahoff.

The shooting left Lahoff paralyzed. The Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s Office said he died due to the injuries he sustained in the shooting. Both Armstrong and Fulton were charged and convicted in the shooting.

Marty Armstrong Jr. (L), Lamont Fulton (R) (Source: Pittsburgh Public Safety Department)
Fulton was sentenced to 15 to 30 years in prison and is no longer in the system.
Armstrong, who is believed to have pulled the trigger, was sentenced to 25 to 50 years in prison. He remains in jail.
Warrants have been issued for both with the filing of the criminal homicide charges

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I wondered why John Hinckley wasn’t charged after James Brady’s death.
They said he died as a result of the wounds and lingering effects of his shooting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.3af45beeb4e5

Posts: 9523 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
A good lawyer should be able to have this tossed on double jeopardy grounds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rick Lee,

Posts: 3541 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I get why the cops filed but it's going to be a stretch if the victim wasn't bedridden and on a vent for the last 15 yrs.
There is a laundry list of people and things that can cause someone to die 15 years after a shooting.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
They said he died as a result of the wounds and lingering effects of his shooting.

Did Hinckley ever get convicted? I thought he got off using a mentally incompetent defense.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
A god lawyer should be able to have this tossed on double jeopardy grounds.

Nope. The crime of homicide did not accrue,until the death. Both will go down for murder. Double jeopardy does not apply.

Posts: 869 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

Did Hinckley ever get convicted? I thought he got off using a mentally incompetent defense.

He’s been under court supervision ever since. They are about to release him it seems.

Posts: 9523 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
IIRC in NC, if the victim died w/i a year they could attach the death to the original crime Nd then charge murder or felony murder as the case may be.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
I get why the cops filed but it's going to be a stretch if the victim wasn't bedridden and on a vent for the last 15 yrs.
There is a laundry list of people and things that can cause someone to die 15 years after a shooting.

As the victim was paralyzed, he most likely would have been bed ridden. If the injury was below C5, would not have needed a ventilator. Often those partially paralyzed cannot defecate, and typically die after about 5 years from an infection in the colon.

-c1steve

Posts: 4056 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Fuck those guys. Hope they hang.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4620 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I wish they did this to the scumbag who shot my uncle. He was a quadriplegic due to his wounds and died a few years later.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2388 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Question then. If they are convicted of homicide, will their time already served--particularly the guy who was already released--be credited toward any new sentencing?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Question then. If they are convicted of homicide, will their time already served--particularly the guy who was already released--be credited toward any new sentencing?

I am very similar with the Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) legal system. Im truly surprised the charges were even filed. If and thats a big if, they are found guilty their previous time served will get credited. This case will probably set some new case law.

Posts: 5419 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post