SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone here utilizing Geo Thermal heat pump ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here utilizing Geo Thermal heat pump ? Login/Join 
posted
Either in their home or office?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I had one in a previous home and we have installed several in homes we've built..

I am going on vacation this weekend but you can email me with any questions and I'll do my best to answer them..
Email in in my profile.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We have it in our house, built in 2001. We bought the house with it and have been totally satisfied. Our utility bills are very good, heats in our milder Winters, cools in our HOT Summers.

Our home is 3200 sq ft, one level, our utility bill is right around $200.00/month on average.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3403 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
WE also had one in a home we had built. It's the one thing we would do again. They are wonderful in my opinion.

Posts: 355 | Location: Guatemala | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
have seen them installed commercially. Very expensive on the front end due to all the drilling. If you keep the house/property long enough, I suppose you'd recoup the cost.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
I ran an engineering firm for many years (before I sold the business) where one of our services was designing and building these systems. We did many residential and commercial as well as large industrial projects all over the US. Great systems IF designed properly. It is very important to have a properly designed and balanced system by people who know what they are doing. There are a lot of horror stories out there which give the technology a bad rap

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you keep the house/property long enough, I suppose you'd recoup the cost.

its my understanding that it greatly improves the
resale value of the home.

but I may learn differently in this thread

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
We installed a GT system in 2011 when our standard heat pump system crapped out. The installer did not live up to their references but that being said, it has been a good investment.

The GT system cut our summer electric bills by 70% and winter by 40%. The payoff time was right at 7 years. We expect to be in the house for another 20 years. The system is also pretty quiet compared to the heat pump.

I would do it again but with a different installer.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leavemebe:
We installed a GT system in 2011 when our standard heat pump system crapped out. The installer did not live up to their references but that being said, it has been a good investment.

The GT system cut our summer electric bills by 70% and winter by 40%. The payoff time was right at 7 years. We expect to be in the house for another 20 years. The system is also pretty quiet compared to the heat pump.

I would do it again but with a different installer.

Damn, those are really good numbers in electric and heating savings.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am wondering if there are all kinds of financial incentives from cities, counties, states, maybe even the feds,
like there was for P.V. panels and wind generators ?

rebates maybe

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I am wondering if there are all kinds of financial incentives from cities, counties, states, maybe even the feds,
like there was for P.V. panels and wind generators ?

rebates maybe

We built in 2013 and went geo...Federal tax credit was $6,500.00 I believe and our electric company sent us a check for $3,500.00 for going geo....that was sweet

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and the out of pocket?
what was that 6,7, 8,000 ?

Picture of SkyOtter
posted Hide Post
I paid around $8000 here in the Midwest, cut my average bills from 450 to 220, eight year payoff more or less. Definitely happy! The system runs much quieter than previous HVAC and circulates the air more often, keeps it more at an even temp.

------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of people in this world: Those who need closure,

Posts: 2561 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: June 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
The federal tax just got reinstated
30% until 2019
Decreasing to 22% by 2021

SC has a 25% State credit on top of the federal

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2919 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
cost.

We built a house two years ago and the state was offering to pay 1/3 of the cost which made it the same cost as a conventional unit. We live on a lake so the coils are run underground to the lake which is much cheaper than drilling.

In my opinion it’s far superior to a conventional HVAC unit. My 3200 house has about the same heating and cooling costs as my previous 1800sq foot house with a conventional system.

On top of that you get a nice comfortable warm house in the winter without the dry heat that a traditional HVAC gives off. You also don’t have an ugly exterior unit that seems to always be on making a racket when you are on your deck.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post