SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Audiophiles and tube amp users… get your backup tubes now (if you can find them)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Audiophiles and tube amp users… get your backup tubes now (if you can find them) Login/Join 
posted
Got notice the other day that Russian made tubes are on the export ban list

There has already been a purchasing frenzy, Vivatubes has restricted ordering, Sweetwater has put all out of stock, Upscale Audio has removed them from the website

Prices have already risen

I have backup sets of Gold Lions and Mullards for my preamp so I’m good

https://www.gearnews.com/mike-...acuum-tubes-in-2022/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6230 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Luckily I have a couple spare sets for my guitar amp. Hopefully the factories are running and building up a stockpile to be released when the sanctions get lifted.

Posts: 9457 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Could also be an opportunity to start production here in the US again.

Necessity being the mother of invention …

Posts: 53194 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Lmao!

This topic on every forum I read ffs. Git yore toobz!

This happened in the 1980s too.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The ones in my PRRI are new, so I doubt I will wear them out for quite a while. How long do they last at reasonable playing levels anyhow? Pretty sure most of them are Chinese anyhow.

Posts: 17895 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
OMG, you guys are not kidding....

Last time I priced the 572's they were about a third the price. wow!!!!!

$200 for a single tube. unreal. Of course this example is from the manufacture long considered the best, but still....

https://www.rfparts.com/tubes/...72b-svet-select.html

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Looked up tube sets for a Marshall JCM800 amp I have.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
Luckily I have a couple spare sets for my guitar amp. Hopefully the factories are running and building up a stockpile to be released when the sanctions get lifted.

There were only three tube factories left when the one in China burnt down and, AFAIK, has not been rebuilt. So that leaves Russia and Slovakia. Russian tubes are out now, so only the JJs in Slovakia will still make it to the US and they'll be crushed with orders and prices will spike. I just called Antique Electronics minute ago to check on a backordered tube order from a few weeks ago. No end in sight and not a single matched quad of EL34s or 6CA7s in stock. I'm well stocked, but would like some more.

Posts: 3541 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
The ones in my PRRI are new, so I doubt I will wear them out for quite a while. How long do they last at reasonable playing levels anyhow? Pretty sure most of them are Chinese anyhow.

You can always get unlucky and have a tube blow up tomorrow, but most people who play as a hobby get years and years out of a set of tubes.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My small stash of RCA and Mazda 6V6s and NOS American and European 12AX7s is worth quite a lot these days. But I have them to use, not to sell, and I bought them years ago when they weren't priced like they were even 60 days ago.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
It will be fine. New Sensor already has a work around. They'll be back in stock in April.

Sonically they don't come close to my NOS 1950s Mullards, Telefunkens, Brimars, Tung Sols etc, but they are "fine" for most applications.

https://shop.ehx.com/russian-tubes/

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great, first 911 aircooled parts, then ammo and now tubes for hi-fi. Can't catch a break!

Tony

Posts: 315 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an agreement may have been made. 30-60 days before export starts again with a 30-35% tariff attached so prices will be increasing. Details still emerging

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6230 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Sounds like an agreement may have been made. 30-60 days before export starts again with a 30-35% tariff attached so prices will be increasing. Details still emerging

Correct. As I posted above.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'll venture that much of the buyout of inventory is by speculators who will flip these on ebay for double the price.

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Western Electric is assessing expansion. It would be nice to have a viable domestic manufacturer

I’m sure they would be spendy if the price of their 300B is an indicator

https://www.westernelectric.co...wV6iYiOliMQ61FfE9dUQ

posted Hide Post
Lots of nasty chemicals and heavy metals involved in making vacuum tubes. And labor. Domestic production is unlikely due to environmental laws and cost of labor.

But setting up shop in Mexico or the Philippines would be a decent option, instead of relying on old factories in former Communist countries.

Funny how tubes were dying out in the west in the 80's and the race was on to build solid state amps that sounded like tube amps. Then the Soviet union fell and there were all kinds of tubes available because they were so far behind in EMP-hardened integrated circuits they still needed tubes for the military.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post