SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Armed assailant attacks Congressman Lee Zeldin with a knife at campaign event
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Armed assailant attacks Congressman Lee Zeldin with a knife at campaign event Login/Join 
posted
https://justthenews.com/politi..._campaign=newsletter

A knife-wielding assailant stormed the stage of New York Republican gubernatorial candidate Lee Zeldin while he delivered a campaign speech.

Zeldin was speaking on bail reform at the local VFW in Perinton, N.Y., when the attacker, screaming hysterically, got on stage and wrestled with the Republican before being subdued by AMVETS national Director Joe Chenelly, local news outlet Rochester First reported.

The assailant has not yet been identified, but is in law enforcement custody. Zeldin was unharmed and resumed speaking after the incident.

The Republican congressman triumphed in a crowded primary, which included Andrew Giuliani, and will challenge New York Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul in November.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wcb6092,

Posts: 12740 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It's getting a little sporty out there.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little more to the story this morning:

https://nypost.com/2022/07/21/...ar-rochester-report/

Lee Zeldin, the Republican candidate for New York governor, was attacked during a campaign stop near Rochester in upstate Monroe County on Thursday night — but escaped injury and managed to finish his speech.

Zeldin, also a sitting US congressman from Long Island, was campaigning at the Veterans of Foreign Wars post in Perinton when a man jumped on stage and lunged toward the lawmaker with an unknown weapon, according to witnesses and video of the incident.

“I saw that he [was] approaching the congressman, so I jumped up on the stage,” witness Joe Chenelly told The Post.

The congressman turned and faced him. I thought he might just be there to hug the congressman or to, you know, maybe heckle him or something along those lines.”

The suspect was identified as 43-year-old David Jakubonis of Fairport, NY.

Jakubonis was charged with attempted assault in the second degree and released on his own recognizance.

After Jakubonis allegedly flashed the weapon and appeared to be wrestling with Zeldin, Chenelly tackled the man to the ground.

“He reached into his right pocket and pulled out what appeared to be a knife or a razor blade, maybe a box cutter and lunged at the Congressman,” Chenelly said.

Jakubonis allegedly shouted “You’re done” as he approached Zeldin, according to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office.

Zeldin attempted to block the suspect — who witnesses told WHEC was disheveled and possibly intoxicated — and the man lunged at Zeldin once more.

“I tackled him from behind and wrapped him up and dropped him on the right side on stage,” Chenelly said.

Jakubonis was then detained by a number of witnesses including GOP candidate for lieutenant governor, Alison Esposito.

Chenelly credited Esposito, a 20-year member of the NYPD, for grabbing the weapon out of the suspect’s hand.

Soon after the incident, Zeldin got back on stage and finished his speech. Late Thursday night, the congressman told The Post via text he was “OK” and called the ordeal “crazy.”

Zeldin also addressed the attack in a separate tweet, where he said, “Someone tried to stab me on stage during this evening’s rally, but fortunately, I was able to grab his wrist and stop him for a few moments until others tackled him.”

The suspect is an Iraq War veteran, according to WROC-TV.

Zeldin, who beat three other Republicans to grab the GOP nomination in the governor’s race in a primary last month, faces Governor Kathy Hochul, the Democratic incumbent, this November.

Hochul, in a tweet, condemned the attack on her GOP rival.

“My team has informed me about the incident at Lee Zeldin’s campaign event tonight. Relieved to hear that Congressman Zeldin was not injured and that the suspect is in custody,” she said in the tweet. “I condemn this violent behavior in the strongest terms possible — it has no place in New York.”

Nassau County Executive Bruce Blakeman, a Republican, also denounced the attack on Zeldin and used the incident to blame New York’s bail-reform laws for “soaring crime.”

“Tonight’s attack on Congressman Lee Zeldin at a Monroe County campaign event was much more than an assault on a single individual. It was emblematic of an ongoing attack on our Democracy, our freedom and our very way of life,” said Blakeman.

“There must be real changes to “cashless bail” laws, and we must support law enforcement to keep neighbors safe and hold those who endanger the public accountable for their actions,” he added.

Despite Thursday night’s scare, Zeldin plans to continue campaigning upstate on Friday, with scheduled stops in Seneca, Onondaga, Jefferson and Lewis counties.

posted Hide Post
I'm sure the charges and bail would be the same if it were Hochul attacked.

Posts: 1973 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
More knife and unidentified weapon violence by someone having a mental health crisis. Give him a couple Prozac and he will be out helping old ladies cross the street and hugging puppies.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The attacker was released O.R. within hours of his arrest for the felony attack. Welcome to the criminal justice system in Democrat run states.

Released

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So they released a person that is mentally unstable AND violent .. That makes perfect sense .

Posts: 4071 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
That attack happened about 4 miles from my home. I have heard from our local news stations that the attacker was released on his own recognizance, with no bail requirement.

Also last night in our city (Rochester, population 210,000) two RPD officers were shot, one fatally.

In a 24 hour period before that the city's shot spotter network detected 80 shots fired.

I am beyond sickened.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chbibc,

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8532 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
/sarcasm/ Did they "red flag" him and remove all other pointy weapons from his abode before releasing him? /sarcasm off/

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2041 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
More knife and unidentified weapon violence by someone having a mental health crisis. Give him a couple Prozac and he will be out helping old ladies cross the street and hugging puppies

^^^^^^
These kinds of remarks belittle veterans who have mental health issues. In all likelihood he is a combat vet with PTSD. Prozac does nothing to treat those problems. I am not excusing his behavior one bit and question why he was not detained for a psychological evaluation.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NY Penal Law Section 120.05 Attempted Assault 2nd degree: Class D Felony.
And they kicked him loose?
I dont recommend trying to read the statute. Its amazingly complex. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Hochul notified Dems prior to Zeldin's speech of his location and encouraged her supporters to go. She also described Zeldin as a "dangerous extremist".

She should be behind bars herself for this.

Posts: 18090 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Hochul notified Dems prior to Zeldin's speech of his location and encouraged her supporters to go. She also described Zeldin as a "dangerous extremist".

Good luck with that. You know Dems are the party of peace and cooperation, only Republicans incite violence.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
How is this not a federal crime (not that the outcome would have been different in this day and age). Zeldin is a sitting member of Congress.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
"Lee Zeldin says black belt training (in Tae Kwon Do) helped him fend off attacker"...

Lee Zeldin black belt

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
How is this not a federal crime (not that the outcome would have been different in this day and age). Zeldin is a sitting member of Congress.

He’s a Republican sitting member of Congress campaigning against a chosen Democrat woman for Governor. The assailant probably a Ray Epps type of guy.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul Encouraged Supporters to Confront Rep. Zeldin’s “Far Right Agenda” Before Attempted Knife Attack

https://summit.news/2022/07/22...empted-knife-attack/

New York Gov. Kathy Hochu encouraged her supporters to confront Republican challenger Rep. Lee Zeldin on his “far-right agenda” hours before a man wielding a knife tried to attack Zeldin at a campaign stop in Fairport, New York.

Hours before the incident, Hochul’s campaign sent out a press release revealing the time and location details of several of Zeldin’s upcoming campaign stops.

The press release accused Zeldin of using his platform as a means of “peddling dangerous lies, misinformation, and his far-right agenda.”

Hochul also said that Zeldin “will be joined by top anti-abortion advocates, NRA enthusiasts, and a cast of extremist groups,” which many took as a dog whistle to Antifa extremists to attack.

“Governor, you seemed to suggest there should have been vigilante violence by inaccurately describing that campaign event as filled with “far-right extremists,” tweeted author Andy Ngo. “That is the same language and dog whistle used by Antifa militants to urge comrades to injure or kill targets.” Andy Ngo

The incident once again highlights how the left, while constantly hyping the threat of right-wing political violence, are simultaneously inciting violence against conservatives on a regular basis.

As we previously highlighted, Senator Rand Paul reacted to the arrest of an armed assassin outside the home of conservative Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh by blaming the media for “encouraging crazy people.”

“It has got to stop. We have to quit doing this to our justices. We should quit doing it to the elected officials as well,” said the Senator.

Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

^^^^^^
These kinds of remarks belittle veterans who have mental health issues. In all likelihood he is a combat vet with PTSD.

There's no mention in the article of PTSD, just that he's an Iraq vet. I'm not sure I'd float PTSD as a "likelihood."

Posts: 2473 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am looking at stats alone. 83 percent of Iraq vets have some ptsd symptoms often with alcoholism as a comorbidity. What is your thinking?

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Can we please stow the blind speculation? You're looking for excuses for this asshole and you're going out of your way to do it.

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post