Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walking shoes Login/Join 
posted
Never bought what I would call good shoes for my walks. With nice weather coming I want to change that up. I am 69 and walk 3-4 times a week for about 1 hour or more. Thanks

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Brooks makes some great walking shoes and one of the few with models for wide feet. I have two pairs of their older Addiction model.

https://runrepeat.com/guides/b...brooks-walking-shoes

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16262 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have some Merrells. Very comfy. Avail thru the Exchange online-I found mine at Ft Hood

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/mens/

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11311 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hoka makes some walking shoes that are a favorite for some friends on their feet all day.

Posts: 2371 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I use the New Balance, can’t get the model number right this moment. They’re made in USA and the price reflects that, about $185.00. They hold up better than anything else I’ve bought.

We have a New Balance stand alone store here and they measure and fit to your feet. No guessing.

I buy a new pair every 6 months, I think the model number has not changed in 5 years or so.

I don’t like paying $185.00 but I’m hard to fit at size 13 EEEE-wide. These are the only shoes that fit me perfectly and no discomfort at all. Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

I’d been buying, for years and years, New Balance imported at a little under $90 or so. Went in one day to buy another pair and the salesman (they don’t have much turnover, same people there each time) asked if I’d try on the USA made. I did, they instantly felt perfectly, I loved it. Then he says they’re $185 and I bitched griped moaned and complained that I couldn’t justify the cost. He said I’ll give you a 2 month try, bring them back for any reason and I’ll $100% refund you. Ok. Went back 6 months later and bought another pair. Salesman said I knew you’d not be back for a refund. Been happy ever since.

Posts: 11868 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
you can try Ecco.

TBH, they were made better when they were made in Denmark. When they were PRC made, they were not as good. I see they are made in Slovoka now, at least some are. Point is just don't get the PRC ones.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10947 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
New Balance

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I am 68 and walk about 5 miles a day. Hoka and New Balance are my go to shoes. Recommendations:
1) Visit a running store to get fitted (they fit walkers too). They will evaluate your feet and your gait to determine what might fit you the best then you can try a few shoes. That's how I learned that New Balance fits me the best. I tried Hoka on the advice of my sister's boyfriend, an ultra marathon runner that is also New Balance guy.
2) Track your mileage. Shoes last about 300-400 miles.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 721 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
After trying several brands Hoka has become my favorites.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Try Oboz. My favorite and I have plantar fascitis. These are the only brand that allow me to walk pain free. Firebrand is the model I bought. Second choice would be Hoka, not as good as the Obozs.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2776 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
I am 68 and walk about 5 miles a day. Hoka and New Balance are my go to shoes. Recommendations:
1) Visit a running store to get fitted (they fit walkers too). They will evaluate your feet and your gait to determine what might fit you the best then you can try a few shoes. That's how I learned that New Balance fits me the best. I tried Hoka on the advice of my sister's boyfriend, an ultra marathon runner that is also New Balance guy.

Spot on advice. We walk a 5K every day. Hoka shoes are awesome and last a while.

Posts: 3812 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
1) Visit a running store to get fitted (they fit walkers too). They will evaluate your feet and your gait to determine what might fit you the best then you can try a few shoes.

Cannot stress these enough.

No matter the brand, it won't feel comfortable if it's doesn't fit your feet and gait correctly.

I know guys who brag about how they have had the same pair of shoes for 5 years and they feel the same. Just like many say, a lot on this forum, they have a 12 year old car with 200,000 miles and it still drives like new. No, it doesn't. They just got gradually got used to the wear and decreased performance over time. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
We walk about five miles a day. Merrill Moabs work best for me. I'm on my third or forth pair I think, and I wear them all the time in warmer months. Not just for walking.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just like many say, a lot on this forum, they have a 12 year old car with 200,000 miles and it still drives like new. No, it doesn't. They just got gradually got used to the wear and decreased performance over time.

Truth, got back in my 03 F150 after driving the 2020 GMC around, didn't realize how much the old truck groaned and the noises it makes LOL...

Sketchers for me the wide fit models

Posts: 23604 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
I walk five days a week, usually on the treadmill at the gym. I rotate thru Brooks, New Balance and Hoka. Having been measured for all of them, the New Balance and Hoka's are 10.5, while the Brooks requires a size 11. Make sure you get measured at a store that understands how to fit running/walking shoes.

Posts: 655 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
the New Balance and Hoka's are 10.5, while the Brooks requires a size 11.

Same experience with Brooks, requiring a half-size larger than my other boots and shoes. I recently bought a pair of Danner 2650 GTXs for an upcoming trip; they’re a quality shoe that’s lighter than the Merrills and Oboz shoes I’ve worn in the past.

Posts: 13310 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have a Fleet Feet store nearby? They sell premium shoes but you will be amazed at what you been missing.

Hoka, New Balance, Brooks, On Cloud are some brands that sell some really nice shoes. Expect to pay $150+. You need to try different brands and see what fits you best.

Posts: 5428 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hoka.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Those Hokas look pretty good and I might have to give them a try. I've always found a good, light weight running shoe suites me just fine for walking. I've been a Saucony devote for awhile and the Tempus line at 8.9 oz has made my feet feel great. Some so called walking shoes seemed like bricks on my feet.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Since developing Afib last June, I walk every day. Average mileage is just over 7 miles per day. This includes every step, those walking to the kitchen, the basement, at work, etc...

I have been wearing the Brooks Adrenaline GT21 and GT22. I wear a 14 EE, so my choice of shoes is a little limited.

I walk, I do not run.

I appreciate how well these shoes have held up.

But as others have said, go get fitted for proper size, it will make a huge difference.

Please let us know what you decide on.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post