SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice on visiting Costa Rica?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on visiting Costa Rica? Login/Join 
posted
Anybody been to Costa Rica in the past couple of years and have any advice on what to see and do? Possibly going for about a week and wondering if there are any must sees or things/places to avoid.

Thanks

Posts: 1121 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
I havent gone, but my wife has. Things she loved: Mt. Arenal and the Tabacon hot springs. TONS of ziplines that are awesome. Butterfly santuary. Parts of San Jose.

She HATED the cloud forest. Local coffee is very weak. She didnt get to the beach.

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spent some time on the Pacific Ocean side a couple of years ago. Don’t go during the rainy season, I’ve never seen it rain that hard for that long. You could almost time it everyday, certainly didn’t want to be out in it. Food was great, people are extremely nice, never felt unsafe even in some areas that looked very rough. Can’t say enough about the locals, just all around great people. I speak a little Spanish, but most people I conversed with spoke better English than I did Spanish.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took a ten day all-inclusive Caravan tour of Costa Rica. Loved it! My favorite parts were the Arenal volcano area and primarily the east coast (Carribean) in the Tortuguera region. But you have to take boats to get there. Amazing wildlife.

Posts: 76 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent nearly two months in the general area, half was in Panama. It did rain hard, but the rain usually stopped after half a day or so. It is beautiful and fairly clean. There is been problems with pick pockets, so be careful. Lots and lots of N. Americans in Costa Rica. Great, and I mean great, ocean fishing.

-c1steve

Posts: 4040 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Watch out for the Fer de lance!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4357 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I had some horndog buddies who owned a house in CR but they mainly used it for whoring around. I was invited but never partook of the legal CR poontang.

Posts: 4679 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We’ve been a couple of times, the last one for 3 weeks kayaking the entire Golfo Dulce.

You’ll find the people very friendly and as you probably know they take US Dollars.
The offshore fishing on the Pacific side is off the charts good. We’ve caught several sailfish as well as my first Marlin.

Do you have something specific in mind?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Mrs.BurtonRW and I have been five (six?) times. Shoot me an email and I’ll send you my unofficial travel guide. (Long word doc.)

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16259 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I went last year on a tour that took us to the Selva Verde Lodge (a nature preserve), the Arenal Volcano, the hanging bridges near Arenal, a river trip safari, a white water rafting trip (including a stop for fresh pineapple!), the cloud forest in Monteverde, and some leisure time in San Jose. I visited a coffee plantation, a pineapple plantation, a bat "jungle," a local school, a chocolate presentation, a look at the Quaker community, and more. No beach trips, but you've got your choice of Atlantic and/or Pacific (it's about a five hour drive between them).

Great food, great fruit, great coffee! In fact, I now have a subscription that delivers a pound of fresh-roasted Costa Rica Tarrazu to my door every month!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Mrs.BurtonRW and I have been five (six?) times. Shoot me an email and I’ll send you my unofficial travel guide. (Long word doc.)

-Rob

Rob: thank you for the offer. email sent.

posted Hide Post
No nothing specific. Just some place the wife has wanted to visit and I have finally run out of excuses to not go. Smile

The Truth
Picture of Luis
posted Hide Post
A buddy went to Costa Rica. He went to surf. He did it all country though. Meaning, he went off the beaten trail, stayed with a nice host family in the jungle somewhere that put him up for a week. And he did it all for less than a few thousand bucks.

Posts: 4328 | Location: A hop, skip and a jump from the bayou. S East Tx, USA | Registered: October 13, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
No nothing specific. Just some place the wife has wanted to visit and I have finally run out of excuses to not go. Smile

If you rent a car, carry only a $20 in your wallet along with ID and a few credit cards. Keep the rest of your cash elsewhere on your person. You will get pulled over in some off the beaten path towns and the cop will try to say you were speeding, etc...….pull out your wallet, tell him you only have $20 in cash and hand it to him and be on your way. It's a scam they love to play on tourists.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living a strange life
Picture of jonrem
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any suggestions for surfing lessons on the Pacific side, closer to Liberia? My wife wants to learn and we are both curious about checking the country out. Thanks!

Posts: 442 | Location: Central TN | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The northwest area is like any other beach resort. To see the natural beauty venture out.

Posts: 76 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nosara isn't too far from Liberia airport. I've surfed there several times. Cocunut Harrys surf
shop (think that was the name) had board rentals and offered lessons.
Manuel Antonio was flat when I traveled through that area and is much further from Liberia.
Cocunutharrys

Posts: 28 | Location: east central FL | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jonrem:
Anyone have any suggestions for surfing lessons on the Pacific side, closer to Liberia? My wife wants to learn and we are both curious about checking the country out. Thanks!

You'll find the surf capital of Costa Rica in Manuel-Antonio. Can't throw a rock without hitting a surf instructor there.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16259 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
As an undertaker, I notice that tourists sometimes die down there. It can happen anywhere. But if someone does, I recommend cremation there and bring the urn home. Shipping a body home is not a pretty sight....

Yeah, I'm a killjoy

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^
Good to know. You have to plan for all contingencies. I am sure you have interesting tales to share. Probably better ones than the TV show Six Feet Under.

Posts: 17170 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post