SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog vaccines, timeframe for protection?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog vaccines, timeframe for protection? Login/Join 
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted
Little fuzzbutt finally got his last Parvo shot and rabies vax.
Vet says wait 2 weeks until it he’s protected. Does this sound right? I don’t remember waiting that long with other pups but its been a while.
Thanks!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Sounds about right to me.

Better safe than sorry.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3456 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We were told two weeks, too.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ms. Tejas421, who worked in animal pharmaceuticals, says that is correct.

Posts: 985 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Had a discussion with our vet about vaccines, and specifically the Parvo vaccines. As part of the approval of the vaccines, they did testing and have a good confidence that you have good coverage two weeks after the last shot (like statistically well into the high nineties on a percentage basis). You could take a blood sample and get a titre done to verify the presence of antibodies earlier, but it expensive, and for what, a little bit of time? I’d bet that if you started three days after the last shot and took a titre every day, you’d get a result showing your dog was protected before the two weeks were up, maybe significantly before.

Your dog, your choice, but for me, I wasn’t willing to take the chance on the pups getting parvo and I wasn’t willing to spend the bucks to save a week or two. This was with puppies that are guardian dogs and you really want them out their bonding with the goats and kids as early as possible.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
<snip>
Your dog, your choice, but for me, I wasn’t willing to take the chance on the pups getting parvo and I wasn’t willing to spend the bucks to save a week or two. This was with puppies that are guardian dogs and you really want them out their bonding with the goats and kids as early as possible.

I’m not willing to take a chance either.
Only asked the question because this wasn’t our pup’s regular vet but a fill-in for that day and she was a little…well weird.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post