SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    More Balloons over the US
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Balloons over the US Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
Was noodling around on Flightradar24 and there are two balloons over Texas at about 57,000 feet each. Watched one when it was over the pacific west of California.

More Chinese weather monitors?

Posts: 53844 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
As soon as one crosses the U.S. protected airspace, it should be deleted.

No quarter.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44495 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^
This, in spades. China has proven that they couldn’t give a rats ass about climate so to call these weather balloons is an absurdity. They are spy platforms. Blow them out of the sky as soon as they get close.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
A few darts will do it.

Posts: 8726 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
What CONUS-based assets can we scramble that can get to 57,000 ft. to shoot down these invaders?

Do our National borders mean nothing? (Oh yeah, that question has already been answered.)

Posts: 6789 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
N252TH is not Chinese ballons. Aerostar dot com

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
As soon as one crosses the U.S. protected airspace, it should be deleted.

No quarter.

I agree, but not with a missile that costs as much as my house.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17620 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
...but not with a missile that costs as much as my house.

OK, makes sense, but can you think of an alternative?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:

20mm Cannon Rounds from an F-15 maybe, its service ceiling is around 60,000 feet if the google is right. But I'd defer to our Air Force Guys.

Posts: 4763 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They did try with 20mm rounds.. didn't do much against very large balloons.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
19 round pod with 2.75 inch Hydra rockets with proximity flechette load.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2081 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
They did try with 20mm rounds.. didn't do much against very large balloons.

Thank you. I stand corrected.

Posts: 4763 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Why not target the payload rather then trying to deflate the gas bag with imaginative ordnance?

Posts: 16204 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Why not target the payload rather then trying to deflate the gas bag with imaginative ordnance?

I assume they were trying to exploit the payload and wanted it in as few pieces as possible.

Posts: 941 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And they are pissing off the cattle

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The app uses transponder data. If it was a spy balloon it would not have that. There are almost always a few of them up there at any given time. From one research facility or another.

Posts: 2223 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:

Lasers, dude. LASERS. Cool

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17620 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mounted on air sharks! Razz

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post