SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For aviation buffs - Classic British Aircraft de Havilland Sea Vixen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For aviation buffs - Classic British Aircraft de Havilland Sea Vixen Login/Join 
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted
Before running across this video, I was unaware of this rather unique aircraft. From its asymmetrical split cockpit configuration, its distinctive tail configuration to the fact that it had no guns, it has a very futuristic appearance for an airplane which entered service in 1951. I don't imagine that the original 'coal hole' position manned by the observer would have been a very pleasant assignment. It appears claustrophobic enough being totally separated from the main cockpit without having the hatch blacked out as well. That had to be like being in a flying sensory deprivation tank.

This rather short video managed to cover a lot of history and it was nice to see that there is one still flying.

Link

Posts: 7313 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
and it was nice to see that there is one still flying.

Unfortunately, that last flying example that is showcased in this older video was damaged in a crash landing in 2017, and it was deemed too expensive to fix so the repair project was abandoned.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
and it was nice to see that there is one still flying.

Unfortunately, that last flying example that is showcased in this older video was damaged in a crash landing in 2017, and it was deemed too expensive to fix so the repair project was abandoned.

I hate to hear that. I'm glad that they got to make this video while one was still airworthy. It added a lot to the video for me.

Thanks for the information, Rogue.

posted Hide Post
For the worst navigator’s position, the Sea Vixen is much better than the Canberra PR.9. The whole nose swung open, the navigator got in, and the nose closed with only a solid bulkhead containing his instrument panel directly in front of his face.

https://theaviationgeekclub.co...tions-ever-designed/

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Glenn Martin Aviation Museum outside Baltimore has an RB-57A on display, I'm pretty sure the nav laid on his stomach looking out the front.

https://www.mdairmuseum.org/silver-rb-57a

I visited during open cockpit day, I'm certain I was allowed to try his spot. No, it was not real comfortable.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
The British designed and built some very interesting aircraft. Great video. Thanks!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Back in 1952, as six-year-old, my grandma took me to the Farnborough Air Show.

During the display of the second prototype DH110 it disintegrated in near super-sonic level flight, and one of the engines went into the crowds. John Derry, the pilot, and his nav, Tony Richards, both died instantly, and so did 29 people on the ground. I watched it all happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHj0FOkcE94

Quote from Wiki - 'On 6 September 1952, a prototype de Havilland DH.110 jet fighter crashed during an aerial display at the Farnborough Airshow in Hampshire, England. The jet disintegrated mid-air during an aerobatic manoeuvre, causing the death of pilot John Derry and onboard flight test observer Anthony Richards. Debris from the aircraft fell onto a crowd of spectators, killing 29 people and injuring 60.

The cause of the break-up was later determined to be structural failure due to a design flaw in the wing's leading edge. All DH.110s were initially grounded, but after modification to its design, the type entered service with the Royal Navy as the Sea Vixen.'

Posts: 11324 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

The cause of the break-up was later determined to be structural failure due to a design flaw in the wing's leading edge.

I recall having read of modifications done to the wings due to a design flaw but there was nothing mentioned of the crash you witnessed in Hampshire. That experience had to have been quite traumatizing for adults present but I can't imagine how harrowing it would have been for a 6-year-old.