SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone using streaming audio within their home?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone using streaming audio within their home? Login/Join 
posted
I’m looking into acquiring a music streamer to integrate into my stereo system. I’m looking for a solution that does the following:

1) Ability to rip and store CDs from my collection (I have a few hundred)

2) Ability to have metadata (album cover art/picture, song titles, etc.) available on the controlling software

3) Ability to create multiple playlists in the control software

4) Ability to stream wirelessly to remote speakers - eventually, multiple speakers

5) Control software that supports iPhone, iPad, and PC

So far, the only solution I have been able to find that does all the above is Bluesound. I have heard about Sonus, but hear their sound quality isn’t very good.

I have also looked at higher end solutions like Aurender, Auralic and Cocktail Audio, but none of them stream wirelessly to remote speakers, as far as I can tell.

Anyone out there using a solution that does all of the above that they like?

Posts: 941 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I'm happy with Sonos. So happy in fact, my Sony home stereo system powering Bose speakers is now living in a closet.

I have 7,454 songs stored on a USB flash drive I plug into my computer and I have those same 7,454 songs on a microSD memory card I use on my iPad. All total, those songs take up 52.3GB on 64GB cards and sticks.

Both the computer and iPad run the Sonos app and can access and play any one of those 7,454 songs, individually, sequentially, repeat or shuffle.

The Sonos system not only functions as my home stereo but also seamlessly integrates with my TV as a home theater surround system.

But what about local radio stations? ... in addition to being able to play any internet music service including Amazon Prime Music or any individual streaming station, I use free TuneIn internet music service because they also offer local broadcast stations depending on zip code entered at sign up.

Sonos sound quality? ... I'm not an audio snob but enjoy good sounding systems and it works to my expectations and requirements for stereo and TV. Did I mention the Sonos system kicked my Sony and Bose set up to the closet?

EDIT: I also have Amazon Alexa devices and the Alexa Sonos app. I can mostly control the Sonos system with just voice commands. I have a 5.1 surround Sonos set, center channel, sub and two surrounds on pedestals. Only thing I could do to improve my Sonos system is replace the Sonos Play:1's I have on pedestals as surrounds, with Sonos Play:5's ... but just can't justify doing so, although I might at some point ... just because.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Been streaming audio since iTunes first offered the library share feature many years ago. No longer use iTunes but I have my own music collection on a NAS that I can access from anywhere.

Our Sonos system (only have a Play 3) can also access the music NAS as well as all the typical music streaming services. It’s s handy and useful system.

As far as the sound quality.... I AM a diagnosed Audio snob and the quality of the Play 3 is acceptable for its use: in the kitchen/dining room area.

If I’m in the mood for great sound I got to a different room and fire up the big system with my custom made Dynaudios.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I don't stream as I rip all my own music to FLAC and serve it out.
However, I use JRiver and you can in addition to what I do stream all kinds of material.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Sonos here too, I’ve been using it for years. Great quality and customer service.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Google Play Music streaming service over a bunch of Google Home and Chrome devices.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Rip your music to flac and use Sonos. Not the least expensive option but a great interface on your computers and portable devices.

Posts: 3438 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a whole house music system (wired speakers in most rooms). I ripped my entire CD collection onto a VortexBox NAS, and have a Sonos amp for each zone in my house. I can access music from my VortexBox, computers, online music stores, or "stations" like Pandora or Amazon music. The whole thing is controlled by Sonos software. It works very very well. FWIW, I almost never access my CD collection any more.

I also have a Sonos wireless system that drives two Play:1 speakers in another large room that isn't part of the whole house system. They easily fill this room with high quality sound.

Posts: 117 | Registered: March 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post