SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kerosene heaters - are there any out there of decent quality anymore?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kerosene heaters - are there any out there of decent quality anymore? Login/Join 
posted
Hello everyone,

20 to 30 years ago, I had a Kerosun Kerosene heater that I used heavily in the winter. It put out a tremendous amount of heat, was reliable, and of high quality.

The Kerosun company no longer exists and I am in need of a new one. I have tried Dyna-Glo and DuraHeat models, but they are very flimsy and cheaply made; I just brought one home from Lowes, and although the box was sealed, the unit was dented, and I could not get it to even light up successfully. I am taking it back.

My intended usage is to heat up my garage in the winter so I can work on my vehicles, and, as emergency back up heat for the house when there is no power. So models that have powered forced-air need not apply.

Interestingly, on-line ratings for the Dyna-Glo and DuraHeat models are pretty favorable, but I am not impressed. I am looking for anyone that has first-hand experience - Do any high-quality models still exist out there?

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I have a DuraHeat model that works pretty well. But what I use most in the garage and is a little more safe (indoor rated) is a Big Buddy Propane heater fed from a 20 Lb tank.

https://www.ruralking.com/big-...bpXU9IYaAqMaEALw_wcB

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
95flhr - How long does a 20 Lb tank last for you?

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I'm getting about 6-7 days, depending on how long I stay out there. Lately I
've not been spending any time during the week in the garage, but 12 or more hour days on the weekends.

I will say this heater is only supposed to heat about 400 Sq Feet. My garage is 2400 Sq. feet, insulated and it takes a while but it does warm it up usually about 10 degrees an hour.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:
20 to 30 years ago, I had a Kerosun Kerosene heater that I used heavily in the winter. It put out a tremendous amount of heat, was reliable, and of high quality.

I still have a Kero-Sun Radiant 10 Kerosene Heater that over 37 years old and it puts out more heat than the Dyna-Glo to me. The square box shape would direct the heat to the front and does a great job.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes! Those old Kerosun heaters were outstanding! I wish someone made, or would make heaters like those again, I would buy one in a second!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
I have a DuraHeat model that works pretty well. But what I use most in the garage and is a little more safe (indoor rated) is a Big Buddy Propane heater fed from a 20 Lb tank.

https://www.ruralking.com/big-...bpXU9IYaAqMaEALw_wcB

I bought the same one during a recent power outage. I’ve been impressed and this week I used to heat my garage while working on my car.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things you didn't know you need until you open SF Big Grin

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally got around to using an old Menard's rebate check and picked up a Dyna-Glo a few weeks ago. I think it worked pretty well in a 1300 square foot insulated garage. It was 20-30 degrees outside and garage was 50 degrees to start. Was very comfortable and on the warm side after 30-60 minutes and alternated it off and on every few hours through the day. Probably burned 1-1.5 gallons of kersosene over a 12 hour period that day. I've got several of the Big Buddy propane heaters for deer hunting blinds that would probably work fine but they just don't have the ambience of an old school kerosene unit when friends are gathered around it. Never had one before this so can't compare it with anything else.

Posts: 181 | Location: Central Missouri | Registered: October 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
If you have the possibility of natural gas then something like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dyna-...d8c12b7&gclsrc=3p.ds
Would work well, also available in propane. I would suggest that any device with an open flame be at least 18" off the floor if used in a garage.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do realise that any of these heaters that don't exhaust the combustion gases to outside are NOT SAFE in an enclosed environment. Because they do produce Carbon Monoxide.

I mention this because back in the mid 70's when I was young and foolish my brother and I spent many hours working in a garage that was heated by what we called a salamander that ran on kerosene. It stank like an SOB and after 3 hours we'd have to stop working due to the headaches. And YES we did have the door cracked by about 18 inches.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Kerosun... We had a rectangular model, looks like the 36. Had a removable can that had a cap with a spring that when inserted allowed fuel to get to the wick.
It did really well. I do remember hating that thing though as I really dreamed of central heating.

There are a few for sale on eBay. This one looks brand new, old stock. Decent price. Same as I had as a kid.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KeroS...b:g:ZvwAAOSwxqZf~2Zo

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
May I suggest that you try Ebay or Craigslist? Oftentimes you can find almost new "stuff" at very reasonable prices.

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
95flhr - How long does a 20 Lb tank last for you?

It is based on how long you run it at various settings. I have the Mr. Heater (maker of Big Budddy) tank top single burner heater in the garage, connected to a 20lb tank. The manual has a chart for how long it will run off a 20lb tank:

High, 15k BTU, 28 hours
Med, 12k BTU, 36 hours
Low, 10k BTU, 43 hours

Big Buddy is a bit higher output on each setting, so probably downgrade those hours for it. One thing you want to watch out for with those propane radiant heaters is not to get too close. They will burn you at <24" or so. I have a 3 car garage, but the heater heats me fine in the area I am working, while the rest of the garage stays cooler. As I'm in AZ, I typically use the low setting only.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
You do realise that any of these heaters that don't exhaust the combustion gases to outside are NOT SAFE in an enclosed environment. Because they do produce Carbon Monoxide.

I mention this because back in the mid 70's when I was young and foolish my brother and I spent many hours working in a garage that was heated by what we called a salamander that ran on kerosene. It stank like an SOB and after 3 hours we'd have to stop working due to the headaches. And YES we did have the door cracked by about 18 inches.

It stank because of incomplete combustion because the heater was malfunctioning. That was the source of the CO. A properly burning heater will produce very little CO, mostly producing CO2. That said, a CO detector in the vicinity isn’t a bad idea.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
If anyone here is crazy enough to try and heat a living space with either a kerosine or gas unvented heater then a CO detector is not just a good idea it is a must.

How many folks will follow the operating instructions which requires you leave a window or door open?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to use kerosene space heaters till I was on a job with a propane salamander, HUGE difference!! I now have a Master salamander that is either 200K- or 250K BTU. Makes my 40X40 shop comfortable in a 1/2 hour with no smell.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
No advice, but I just wanted to say that when I was in Durango CO a couple of years ago I found a station that sold 100% Pure Gas, no Ethanol.(very rare in Colorado).

Right next to it was an identical fuel pump, same as any other gas station pump, except it had a large sign on it that had KEROSENE printed on it. Price per gallon was a lot cheaper than going to some store and buying Kerosene in individual containers.

You just brought in your containers and filled them up. I thought that was awesome.

I've got a pic but I can't get the pic posting working. Bah!

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
We also used the various Kerosun kerosene heater models in years past. Had them in a number of cabins on the Outer Banks for winter use and kept them for power outages/emergencies.
If you used them regularly you learned how to properly trim the circular wicks in order for them to operate properly.
The wicks had to be even and without heavy carbon buildup. The flame had to be a nice consistent blue color.

If you did it this way (and adjusted the flame height and turned the heater off properly) you would not experience a noticeable kerosene smell.
(This was pretty much the same case for the old school hurricane lamps- proper wick maintenance is essential).
We used all of these units but we were careful, as generally the biggest danger was spills when refilling a hot unit-

Still have one of the round “Omni” and the squarish Kerosun heaters we keep for emergencies. You could even cook on ‘em-

You got to know these well-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:

Now you tell me Eek. Spent most winters in our basement watching TV with one of these next to us. House leaked like a sieve ( hence why it was cold- probably not much risk of CO).

^that siphon pump brings back memories

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post