SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marine BnCdr fired mid-deployment for saying offensive words
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marine BnCdr fired mid-deployment for saying offensive words Login/Join 
posted
A bit sensitive with this PC crap...In the middle of a deployment?

I'm of two minds here. If we expect LGBTQZSRB to serve alongside equally without insult or, discrimination, than the language has got to be reined-in. The other hand is, these remarks were made during a team leader meeting, somebody(s) spoke up and used this to get rid of him. This LtCol either wasn't very aware of whom his leaders are and/or, the command climate wasn't very good.

Was the LtCol's remarks directed at a specific individual or, used in the general sense? I'm thinking of Patton's slapping of the shell shocked soldier. Regardless of the actual situation, I would've expected a reprimand but, loss of command... Roll Eyes Saint Mattis where are you?

26th MEU battalion commander fired during deployment over equal opportunity concerns
quote:
An infantry battalion commander sacked in the middle of a deployment with the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, or MEU, was at least partially fired for allegedly using a term that could be disparaging to members of the LGBTQ community, Marine Corps Times has learned.

Following a vandalism incident during a port call visit by the San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock New York in Gaeta, Italy, Lt. Col. Marcus J. Mainz, the commander of 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, allegedly used the term “faggot" or “faggoty” during a meeting with the 2/6 Battalion Landing Team leaders, multiple sources have told Marine Corps Times.

Corps officials have said Lt. Col. Marcus J. Mainz was fired May 19 over a loss of trust and confidence in his ability to lead.

Several Marines were charged with and punished for underage drinking while on liberty during a port visit in Italy. One of those Marines was also charged with vandalizing a construction site.

Mainz was abruptly relieved of command by commander of Naval Amphibious Force, Task Force 51/ 5th Marine Expeditionary Brigade as the 26th MEU was operating in the 5th fleet area of operations, which covers the Persian Gulf, Red Sea and the Horn of Africa.

The MEU had just wrapped up exercises in Jordan called Eager Lion.

The incident regarding the firing of the infantry commander is still under investigation.

Posts: 15085 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Following a vandalism incident during a port call visit by the San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock New York in Gaeta, Italy, Lt. Col. Marcus J. Mainz, the commander of 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, allegedly used the term “faggot" or “faggoty” during a meeting...

Oh give me a freakin' break. Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Another bullshit article regurgitated from Drudge. This happened months ago. I highly doubt he was fired for using “that” word. There is usually something else that got him fucked and I’m betting a case of beer I’m right. Does he have his 20? Probably

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
This is what has become of the United States military. And here I though Hadji was gone as CIC.

Thirty years ago we were bitching and complaining that the girls had such lower PT standards than we did. I can't imagine trying to be in today.

quote:
I highly doubt he was fired for using “that” word. There is usually something else that got him fucked and I’m betting a case of beer I’m right.

I'd double that bet and say you're wrong. I have no doubt that some pansy soldier got his panties in a twist for being called a faggot and turned him in.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Whomever rated him out should be beaten to death.

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Another bullshit article regurgitated from Drudge. This happened months ago.

No shit...the crux is WHY. The lid was kept tight on this until now.
quote:
I highly doubt he was fired for using “that” word. There is usually something else that got him fucked and I’m betting a case of beer I’m right. Does he have his 20? Probably

The scuttlebutt is he's a hot/cold CO; very fiery and emotional but, also a two-legged donkey who's rubbed enough people wrong. All of which can make for a very trying cruise if you're on his staff or, one of his Co/Plt Cdrs.
This may be one of those situations where higher-up's knew his MO but, leveraged enough of the subordinates to out-the-CO on a petty reason. There's certainly more but, that's the meat tossed out to the press, which brings up the WHY did they give him command of a BLT in the first place if he was not the shiniest of oak leaves?

Posts: 15085 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
We always called them Queers, as in different; out of the mainstream. Now I try to lump everyone in as "People"
It's just easier.

Posts: 8728 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
A few buddies of mine were on that MEU. "Loss of trust and confidence" is absolutely correct. His being shit canned had nothing to do with saying some non-PC word and everything to do with unnecessarily endangering Marines and equipment. He was not some victim of the PC culture.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'm of the mind that the true intent of the speaker matters most, followed by ones audience.

The words themselves are not inherently racist or (whatever)ist and I will not be shamed for using colorful language, including variations of "fag, nigger, bitch", and so on, as I don't use them as a slight against those groups, and mostly only use them around similarly minded people, and I can't stand actual racism or homophobia/gay-hate or misogyny.

Some things are simply best expressed with these kinds of words. Such as, when Dave Chappelle refers to someone as a "bitch-ass nigga" he's not actually referring to females, gays, or blacks, that's urban/ghetto/minority/pop-culture talk for "snowflake" and it's existed in common use for years before anyone referred to some ultra PC Leftist as one.

I know better than to talk that way at work, of course, but I don't work for the Marines.

I recognise and concede that there are indeed some places and situations where that sort of language is universally not cool, but I think it's a much shorter list than most seem to think. I also enjoy seeing closet racists and haters expose themselves when such language is allowed, because they have a hard time keeping it under wraps and will eventually slip up.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
I highly doubt he was fired for using “that” word. There is usually something else that got him fucked and I’m betting a case of beer I’m right.

It takes a hell of a lot to relieve a BN CDR. This isn't just something a COL decides to do on a whim while pondering over it over breakfast.

There is a hell of a lot more to this than just using those two words. There had to have been some actions, or inactions, which caused this to happen.

For those who condone this, where do you draw the line? When it comes to words, it's not about being PC, it's about being a professional and having respect for yourself, your rank and your profession. Even when it comes to words.

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
For those who condone this, where do you draw the line?

I don't.

And for the pussy soldiers/Marines who can't handle it? They should find a new line of work if they can't handle being called a bad word. Roll Eyes

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
For those who condone this, where do you draw the line?

I don't.

And for the pussy soldiers/Marines who can't handle it? They should find a new line of work if they can't handle being called a bad word. Roll Eyes

This isn’t about a bad word

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
it's about being a professional and having respect for yourself, your rank and your profession. Even when it comes to words.

It's purely subjective in most contexts, including a great many military contexts. I had a black drill and a white one, and both were raunchy, as was much of the language we heard on ctive duty. And very, very little of it actually equates to a real problem, now or back then.

And the very idea that using certain words is indicative of not respecting oneself is absurd.

Actual racism is bad, fucking with someone about their sexuality is bad, treating women as being inherently less is bad, but those words - in and of themselves - do no such thing.

Prudes and front-holes are exponentially more annoying and problematic, to me.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's just easier for fire someone for bad words than proving they are an incompetent fuck these days.

Much less paperwork.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

Posts: 526 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
They are Marines, they say something to offend everyone, if you are offended by what they say, go join the welcome wagon.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
It's just easier for fire someone for bad words than proving they are an incompetent fuck these days.

Much less paperwork.

This.

However, I "condone" it. Why? These slurs are either bad words, or they are not. The words in question are often used in the gay community as a term of endearment from one gay person to another. I don't care for it. I think it is a slur and would never use it.

Much like racial slurs, either the words are bad, or they aren't. You can't expect me to give two shits about someone's hurt feelings over a word if they use the word daily. The word is either an offensive slur, or it is just another name. The person who utters the word doesn't get some magical pass just because he/she fits a demographic that make the word acceptable.

Marines thrive on profanity and bad words. As long as these communities continue to use these words, and then cry when someone else uses them because they are "offensive", expect me to be fresh out of fucks to give.

Stop using the "offensive" language in your homes and communities, in your interpersonal communications with your friends and coworkers, and I'll be right there with you when someone slurs you. Until that day, don't really expect me to care that some Marine has offended you.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37197 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
It is past time for Society to return to what was true in my childhood: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me." People need to develop much thicker skins, IMO.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I'm of the mind that the true intent of the speaker matters most, followed by ones audience.

The words themselves are not inherently racist or (whatever)ist and I will not be shamed for using colorful language, including variations of "fag, nigger, bitch", and so on, as I don't use them as a slight against those groups, and mostly only use them around similarly minded people, and I can't stand actual racism or homophobia/gay-hate or misogyny.

Some things are simply best expressed with these kinds of words. Such as, when Dave Chappelle refers to someone as a "bitch-ass nigga" he's not actually referring to females, gays, or blacks, that's urban/ghetto/minority/pop-culture talk for "snowflake" and it's existed in common use for years before anyone referred to some ultra PC Leftist as one.

I know better than to talk that way at work, of course, but I don't work for the Marines.

I recognise and concede that there are indeed some places and situations where that sort of language is universally not cool, but I think it's a much shorter list than most seem to think. I also enjoy seeing closet racists and haters expose themselves when such language is allowed, because they have a hard time keeping it under wraps and will eventually slip up.

That sounds about right.

Seriously, I can't imagine marines getting so offended by words. What the hell are they going to do when captured or have bullets being shot at them???

"Excuse me, excuse me! Can we have a time out please? I understand this is war and all but you DO NOT HAVE TO SHOUT SUCH VILE LANGUAGE AT ME!"

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20080 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I distinctly recall a red faced gentleman who was bumping my face with a campaign hat while asking me if I was a faggot. He also was of the opinion that my shit was "very weak".
Different times, I guess.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post