SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FAA recruits workers with 'severe intellectual' disabilities
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FAA recruits workers with 'severe intellectual' disabilities Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Good point. And who handles the largest volume of customers calls at the FAA?

Posts: 11013 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
"severe intellectual" disability = dumb fuck

I'm just asking because if this is a new way of describing dumbasses it's not necessary, folks been hiring dumbasses for centuries.

Usually though they just put em in the shipping department or customer service.

Good point. And who handles the largest volume of customers calls at the FAA?

Posts: 11013 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Folks...just to bring a modicum of levity to this discussion, the FAA is a YUUUUGE organization. Those with mental disabilities or physical disabilities (such as loss of hearing or eyesight) are not going to be placed in positions that would be a detriment to the flying public's safety. There are ALL kinds of administrative and non-flying related positions these people could do.

As much as I LOATHE the FAA and their "we're here to help you" bullsh*t, I have faith they'll not stoop to this level of stupidity. If so, then I'll retire immediately. But that's only 721 days away anyway, barring any increase in the mandatory retirement age, for which I am hoping.

Except they are looking for people with "psyhiatric and other mental conditions"

Physical handicaps have been covered for a long time (ADA) and can make sense, guy in wheelchair can do job of AT Controller, blind person can do customer service with minimal aid, etc.

Now they want people that have mental issues that are bad enough to be diagnosed.

Psychopath air traffic controller, real good idea.

Posts: 1045 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2527 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
Except they are looking for people with "psyhiatric and other mental conditions"

Physical handicaps have been covered for a long time (ADA) and can make sense, guy in wheelchair can do job of AT Controller, blind person can do customer service with minimal aid, etc.

Now they want people that have mental issues that are bad enough to be diagnosed.

Psychopath air traffic controller, real good idea.

ADA covers mental disabilities too.

And again, there's way more to the FAA than just air traffic controllers. Someone with a serious mental condition wouldn't be able to be an ATC anyway. They have to be able to pass a psych eval.

But while they may not be able to be an air traffic controller due to the stricter requirements for that specific position, someone with a mental condition like depression/OCD/PTSD/anxiety/etc. - especially under control through therapy and medication - is perfectly capable of working for the FAA manning a front desk, maintaining a network system, drafting external communication releases, overseeing purchasing, designing the graphics for a brochure, managing a team of data analysts, or any one of the hundreds of other types of jobs at the FAA that don't have anything to do with being an air traffic controller.

It appears that you do not realize that there are folks around you every day, some of them in your own circle of friends and family, who work normal jobs and are perfectly functional members of society despite having a diagnosed "mental condition".

In addition, the FAA isn't looking just for applicants with "psychiatric and other mental conditions". That's simply one of a very long list of physical and mental disabilities that qualify you as "disabled" for federal hiring purposes, and can gain you disability hiring preference for some federal job openings. (Works similar to how being a military veteran can gains you veteran hiring preference for some federal job openings.)

You're letting yourselves be whipped into an outraged frenzy and manipulated with flashy half-truths and misleading statements, leading to uninformed cries of "Planes will fall from the sky!" and "Psychotic air traffic controllers will kill us all!", just for the sake of generating more clicks/shares for that media outlet and boosting their ad revenue.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The use of a psychotropic drug is disqualifying for aeromedical certification purposes – this includes all antidepressant drugs, including selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
Above refers to ATC. I believe that is more than stupid and misses the issue by a mile. Besides these drugs being of questionable benefit, a complete psychological evluation would make more sense. Evaluations are often done for security clearances and many law enforcement postions.

Posts: 17280 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of many reasons I rarely fly American Airlines.

Why American Airlines is the Leader in DEI in the Airline Industry.

https://insights.grcglobalgrou...he-airline-industry/

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Fly the 'Tarded Skies

Posts: 107728 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33871 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
quote:
Folks...just to bring a modicum of levity to this discussion, the FAA is a YUUUUGE organization. Those with mental disabilities or physical disabilities (such as loss of hearing or eyesight) are not going to be placed in positions that would be a detriment to the flying public's safety. There are ALL kinds of administrative and non-flying related positions these people could do.

As much as I LOATHE the FAA and their "we're here to help you" bullsh*t, I have faith they'll not stoop to this level of stupidity. If so, then I'll retire immediately. But that's only 721 days away anyway, barring any increase in the mandatory retirement age, for which I am hoping.

I HIGHLY doubt, that 'these people' will be involved with operations such as air traffic, however having somebody like Milton in accounting where he works in accounts receivable and matching expenses is more like it. Doesn't deal with anyone outside of the department or, the administration, very narrow scope of responsibility, work with mind-numbing but important to a bureaucracy

Posts: 14689 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:

https://insights.grcglobalgrou...he-airline-industry/
And Delta Airlines has THEM beat, hands down!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:

And Delta Airlines has THEM beat, hands down!!!
I forget what airport -- it was a fuel stop for me. I parked next to a Baron. There was a neatly lettered logo type thing next to the cabin door: "Pandemonium Airlines / Panic Division."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post