SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FAA recruits workers with 'severe intellectual' disabilities
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FAA recruits workers with 'severe intellectual' disabilities Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Roll Eyes

“The Federal Aviation Administration is looking for recruits with 'severe intellectual' disabilities as it tries to hit woke DEI targets.

The agency is hunting people with psychiatric issues and other mental and physical conditions in its latest diversity drive.

The FAA, which includes jobs such as air traffic controllers, are keen to employ those with hearing and vision impairments, missing limbs, partial and complete paralysis.

Such a broad recruitment is all part of what the FAA term its 'Diversity and Inclusion' hiring plan.

The FAA, overseen by Secretary Pete Buttigieg's Department of Transportation, is responsible for regulating civil aviation and currently employs around 47,000 people, while John P. Benison [a DEI hire, I suspect] is charged with implementing the agency's DEI plan. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/12962801

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8998 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
This won’t end well

Posts: 53225 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
We know they will fuck it up. This DEI business is getting out of control. Besides pure bigotry and racism, now it may put some aspects of public safety in danger. How special.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8697 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
On usajobs.gov you cam find openings at the FAA. There are symbols telling what type of person is eligible to apply for a particular opening. Would the people listed above fall under:

"Jobs open to those eligible under a special authority not listed above, but defined in the federal hiring regulations.“

“Eligible under a special authority” and the symbol appears to be a snowflake. You can’t make this up.

Posts: 11008 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
This was happening when I retired and left the agency in 2010. You wouldn't believe some of the folks they have running the show now. Very sad...

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10911 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well Mayor Pete would count as one.

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
On usajobs.gov you cam find openings at the FAA. There are symbols telling what type of person is eligible to apply for a particular opening. Would the people listed above fall under:

"Jobs open to those eligible under a special authority not listed above, but defined in the federal hiring regulations.“

“Eligible under a special authority” and the symbol appears to be a snowflake. You can’t make this up.

Ha !

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8697 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Not sure who's more mentally handicapped...the people they're hiring or the people who thought this was a good idea in the first place Roll Eyes. We justify letting the TSA violate the civil rights or ordinary Americans in the name of security to prevent another incident like 9/11, but then we turn around and hire mentally insane people to direct all the airplanes where to go. In what world does that make sense?

Posts: 8647 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I think this will either be a train fire or a dumpster wreck.

Maybe even more screwed up than that.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Folks...just to bring a modicum of levity to this discussion, the FAA is a YUUUUGE organization. Those with mental disabilities or physical disabilities (such as loss of hearing or eyesight) are not going to be placed in positions that would be a detriment to the flying public's safety. There are ALL kinds of administrative and non-flying related positions these people could do.

As much as I LOATHE the FAA and their "we're here to help you" bullsh*t, I have faith they'll not stoop to this level of stupidity. If so, then I'll retire immediately. But that's only 721 days away anyway, barring any increase in the mandatory retirement age, for which I am hoping.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Exactly. It's a large government agency. They need janitors, and mail room clerks, and payroll processors, and receptionists, and all manner of various other standard office-type positions that have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with things like controlling air traffic or determining flight safety.

In addition, the federal definition of "disability" is pretty broad. I could probably be classified as disabled for purposes of federal employment if I wanted to, due to minor hearing loss and a bad knee. Doesn't make me any less capable of crunching numbers in a spreadsheet, or managing a project, or whatever. Hell, even things like diabetes or irritable bowels count.

Besides, it's not just the FAA. Literally every federal agency is required to attempt to hire a certain percentage of "disabled" employees. (IIRC, it's ~7%.) As is every private company that contracts with the federal government. As a result, the federal hiring process - across the board - is significantly streamlined for those with a disability. It's been that way for decades.

Despite that, specific positions within these federal agencies have the ability to exclude folks with certain disabilities for safety-related reasons. You still couldn't become a federal LEO if you have a serious physical or mental disability. You still couldn't be an air traffic controller if you're blind or deaf. Etc.

But you could still be an air traffic controller if you were paralyzed from the waist down, or had diabetes. And you could still be an intelligence analyst or non-sworn financial investigator for a federal LE agency if you were partially deaf, or were missing a leg.

This is just clickbait.

Posts: 32549 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Folks...just to bring a modicum of levity to this discussion, the FAA is a YUUUUGE organization. Those with mental disabilities or physical disabilities (such as loss of hearing or eyesight) are not going to be placed in positions that would be a detriment to the flying public's safety. There are ALL kinds of administrative and non-flying related positions these people could do.

As much as I LOATHE the FAA and their "we're here to help you" bullsh*t, I have faith they'll not stoop to this level of stupidity. If so, then I'll retire immediately. But that's only 721 days away anyway, barring any increase in the mandatory retirement age, for which I am hoping.

Thanks for the sanity check. On the downside hasn't there been a disturbing increase in the number of air traffic controlled near misses? That could be some sensationalism on a couple of reporters. Matt Walsh has also done a few bits on DEI and the FAA. Just wondering if you'd have any insight into that aspect.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality
Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Idiocracy taking place 500 years earlier than expected?

"Don't worry, scrote. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick-ass lives. My first wife was 'tarded. She's a pilot now."

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Those with mental disabilities or physical disabilities (such as loss of hearing or eyesight) are not going to be placed in positions that would be a detriment to the flying public's safety. There are ALL kinds of administrative and non-flying related positions these people could do.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
...This is just clickbait.

Q

Posts: 26466 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
What happened to the "merit" hiring that used to be the standard used to fill federal positions in all agencies.

Posts: 164 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uvahawk:
What happened to the "merit" hiring that used to be the standard used to fill federal positions in all agencies.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2706 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Folks...just to bring a modicum of levity to this discussion, the FAA is a YUUUUGE organization. Those with mental disabilities or physical disabilities (such as loss of hearing or eyesight) are not going to be placed in positions that would be a detriment to the flying public's safety.

I'm not so sure about that. They put these same folks in charge of dangerous carnival rides all the time. Big Grin

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
Thanks for the sanity check. On the downside hasn't there been a disturbing increase in the number of air traffic controlled near misses? That could be some sensationalism on a couple of reporters. Matt Walsh has also done a few bits on DEI and the FAA. Just wondering if you'd have any insight into that aspect.
I have not seen anything close to a "near miss" in years. We would call those an RA (Resolution Advisory) climb or descent. TCAS, Traffic Alert/Collision Avoidance System, is going to tell us exactly what to do. The news may report, "OMG!!!! AIRPLANES COME WITHIN A 1,000 FEET OF EACH OTHER ON DEPARTURE!!!!"

Guess what...that's TOTALLY NORMAL!!!

The media is full of shit, quite frankly. And Aviation "Experts" news rooms employ for info? Yeah...those guys/gals are the farthest thing from an "expert". Know why?? Because an active pilot flying FAA Part 121 Commercial Airline Operations isn't going to hang his/her genitals (read "career") on some news room SENSATIONALISM bullshit!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
"severe intellectual" disability = dumb fuck

I'm just asking because if this is a new way of describing dumbasses it's not necessary, folks been hiring dumbasses for centuries.

Usually though they just put em in the shipping department or customer service.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6340 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post