New
Find
Notify
Tools

CA Wildfires Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
One currently sweeping through Malibu (the Woolsey Fire), and another one that has already razed an entire town in Northern California (the Camp Fire).

I used to own some land in Paradise (near Chico). Most of Paradise was burned literally overnight. Very surreal to see structures and businesses that I used to go to destroyed.

The Safeway where I used to shop...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16396 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I lived in Orange County 2002-2005. Didn't realize fires were going on right now as it's late in the season.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23329 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The smoke from the Paradise fire is so bad that they're grounding flights from SFO. Here I am 180 miles away, and the view from my window is hazy.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16396 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. It's another mess. Ventura County has had a difficult week. And it does not look to improve in the immediate future.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 535 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I lived in Orange County 2002-2005. Didn't realize fires were going on right now as it's late in the season.

Heard on the radio today that 7 of the 10 most destructive fires in CA history occurred in November. In much of the state it’s at its driest now with summer in the books but we are still pre rainy season, if there is going to be a rainy season. Plus, winds start to pick up in the fall and people don’t have fire safety on their mind much when it’s chilly (CA chilly,that is) at night.

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in San Diego the temp was 85 with 1% humidity and winds around 25-35 mph. the perfect time to have a bad fire.
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Posts: 144 | Location: San Diego, California | Registered: May 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A guy I went to school with moved to Paradise a few years ago. My brother still keeps in touch with him, and I'm trying to find out if he was affected. Sad to say it looks like he probably was, as most, if not all, of Paradise was burned.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
Looks like the entire town of Paradise is gone. A buddy of mine has/had a auto repair shop there and it is a total loss. A very tragic situation for all of Paradise

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1524 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
How is it that the state has had fire after fire, and they still can't figure out why?

Trim the underbrush, do some controlled burns, get rid of the fuel that makes these things go on for so long.

Sheeeszzzzhhhh, it's not rocket science.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Taken near Malibu earlier today...

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1314 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
No, but it’s a big state, and it’s damn near impossible to do what you suggest even near the major population centers

It’s not ignorance that stops them from doing it

Now, poor management of resources? Spending money in other places that could be used doing this?

That’s a different story.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m in the east bay. The smoke and haze and air quality in general is terrible. I know several people with friends and family who have had total losses. Including one family with 4 adult kids all in paradise. All 4 and parents lost their homes ( 5 houses)

It pretty much hasn’t rained in months up there the fuel is dry as a bone. Wind is forecasted to pick up tomorrow so will get worse before it gets better.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Actor James Woods, conservative Trump supporting superhero, went out of his way to help those in Malibu, even making an extra effort to help extreme leftist Alyssa Milano in her time of need. Class act, a truly decent human being.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been heavily involved in firefighting for a lot of years, including a lot in California; the last few years I've done mostly northern california, nevada, washington, and oregon for the last half of the fire season.

Over the last 30 years I've watched the seasons get longer and more intense; the last few years have been more intense, and longer than ever.

For a lot of years, Region 5 (California) has been burning, with people letting brush grow up under their redwood decks and no defensible space...and the results have been predictable. Urban interface , people building into the forest, has always been a problem where fires are concerned. Lately this isn't the case; we're seeing fires that push through suburban areas well outside interface areas; wildfires are burning where there isn't wildland to burn, and they're moving fast, and taking a lot of structures and property with them. This isn't a mismanagement issue, but a drastic shift in the nature of fire behavior itself.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
California burns. It seems to burn more now than it used to, but it always has. Why don't they have building codes that make the houses either uncombustable, have exterior fire suppression systems, or both?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I was in Rancho Cucamonga Friday afternoon. Those Santa Ana winds were insane. They were coming down El Cajon pass like a hurricane, except it was a hot/dry blast. It's no wonder that these fires go nuts with that kind of weather.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Fire is a natural and necessary component of the California ecosystem. The problem is that human intervention tends toward putting out fires; problem worsens as populations encroach further and further into woody biomes. Every year without a burn, the underbrush builds until you've got an inevitable tinderbox. Then nature unleashes her fury.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heard on the radio today that 7 of the 10 most destructive fires in CA history occurred in November.

The 2018 Camp Fire (Paradise) is now the most destructive wildfire in CA history.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Controlled, managed and well thought out continual strategic burns will reduce the number of uncontrolled wildfires.

Same as herd management and most any other "husbandry" or "cultivation".

The problem is the "environmental" whack jobs and their "feel good" interference, resulting in piss poor management and laws.

In the end, people suffer great loss, animals and agriculture suffer more.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
Historic western movie ranch burned in fire.
https://www.slashfilm.com/paramount-ranch-fire/

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post