SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PSA: gas stoves cause indoor air polution
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA: gas stoves cause indoor air polution Login/Join 
posted
https://www.thehealthyhomeecon...angers-alternatives/

Long article so didn't want to post it all here. Bottom line is homes with gas stoves have more nitrogen dioxide (50 to 400 times more), as well as carbon monoxide and other particle pollution. Biggest impact on children and those with respiratory issues such as asthma.

There's currently no indoor air quality or outside venting requirements for home appliances. If you have a hood that vents to the outside seems best to use it whenever you cook regardless of whether you need it for smoke removal or not.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Cooking on gas indoor appliances can and does induce pollutants which can be hazardous to health. No argument.

Like you said: ventilate to outside. I know of only one appliance manufacturer who doesn't recommend ventilation and that's Sub - Zero; I'm sure there are more, but most recommend ventilation of some sort.

Looking at the article, the author's history and referenced source information, I think of this as another angle of attack on the fossil fuel industry.

Referenced In Article
"Last month, the 16 members of CARB unanimously adopted a resolution in support of updating building codes to improve ventilation standards and move toward electrification of appliances—making California the first state to issue official guidance addressing the health impacts of gas stoves and other appliances.

This guidance—which cited the evidence linking gas appliances with asthma and exposure to air pollution more generally with elevated Covid-19 risks—boosts the hopes of those advocating for the decarbonization of California’s buildings that the Energy Commission will require new construction in the state to be all-electric in 2022. If that happens, it would instantly transform the country’s largest market for gas appliances, in a move that could reverberate nationwide."

The goal is "clean energy" whatever that is, never mind the indirect costs or sources, such as fossil fuels which account for over 60% of electricity production in the US today.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yes, let's making cooking appliances electric so that when we have power outages, no one can cook.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12682 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Yes, let's making cooking appliances electric so that when we have power outages, no one can cook.

New gas-stoves no longer have pilots - usually spark/electronic ignitors. So now power---no spark--no cook anyway unless a match/lighter works

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4560 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
making California the first state to issue official guidance addressing the health impacts of gas stoves and other appliances.
Well, maybe Californika can deep-six gas dryers, water heaters and furnaces while they are at it, too. Screw them.

These assholes are always looking for some alleged, trivial problem. Must be a jobs program for the CARB.

quote:
Bottom line is homes with gas stoves have more nitrogen dioxide (50 to 400 times more), as well as carbon monoxide and other particle pollution.
This is news? Of course an open gas flame puts out pollutants due to combustion. So does a fireplace. Anyone with half a brain knows to vent their gas stove. When my stovetop or oven gets turned on, I automatically turn on the vent to the outside.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the Y.T. vids explaining H.R.V.'s and E.R.V's,
This Old House has a couple of good ones.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54497 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Cooking on electric sucks. I live in a somewhat rural area. There are a lot of places that do not have natural gas, and quite a few don’t have propane as an option either. That’s a deal breaker when looking at a house.

If the house doesn’t have gas hookups for the stove, I won’t consider buying.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Meh, just another scam to screw people over by increased costs by another "soon to be on the horizon" EPA regulation pushed by the electric or competing companies.

As others have said there has ALWAYS been a certain amount of risk. If you are that worried about fumes or C02 then crack a window when you cook your hamburger. lol

In other news; smoking, drinking alcohol and sitting have been found to kill people.

Folks laws and regulations are NOT passed to help you, they are passed to FLEECE you. Wake up people, follow the money trail.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seattle. What a surprise…

https://www.seattlepi.com/news...ome-new-15778321.php

Seattle mayor wants to ban gas heat in some new buildings

Dec. 5, 2020
Updated: Dec. 5, 2020 9:08 a.m.

SEATTLE (AP) — Mayor Jenny Durkan said this week Seattle should ban natural gas heat in some new buildings in response to a two-year increase in greenhouse gas emissions.

Road transportation accounts for much of the city's emissions, but emissions in that sector actually dropped slightly from 2016 to 2018, the most recent period for which the city has comprehensive data, The Seattle Times reported.

Emissions from buildings are also significant, however, and they increased by more than 8%, driving the overall growth and pulling the city away from its stated goal to become carbon neutral by 2050, according to a new report the mayor released.

That spike is partially why Durkan wants to limit natural gas heat in new commercial buildings and large apartment buildings, she said, announcing a proposal to update the city’s energy codes for construction projects. The changes would require such buildings to use efficient electric systems instead.

“We are facing a climate disaster,” the mayor said in a news release, describing building electrification as “an important step” toward curbing climate change.

Environmentalists are hailing Durkan’s proposal, though some are criticizing the move as too meek. The natural gas industry could object, but the labor movement is on board.

The Durkan administration plans to send a bill to the City Council this month.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I don't worry about the gas stovetop because it normally takes like 20 to 30 minutes to heat/cook something, then it's off again.

so not like its on 24/7

Honestly, I worry more about the leakage from my microwave, but that's just me.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One by one, CA cities are banning natural gas usage in new buildings, San Francisco, San Jose and Oakland all recently passed ordinances. Never mind that the some of the largest forest/wildfires we've seen the last 3-years have been attributed to a fragile and under-serviced electrical grid. The obvious compromise against an all-out ban, was confined to new buildings with exceptions to clothing driers; one wonders if induction stoves will come down in price now Roll Eyes

https://www.latimes.com/busine...mate-battle-heats-up

Posts: 14564 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be surprised that these Governments are part of a working plan to help ban gas for the purpose of reducing the need to drill and extract NG from the earth, it's a backasswards way to eliminate a fossil fuel.

The use with "Alleged" health concerns is just the manner in which they shadow ban a fossil fuel in favor of renewable fuel sources.

Nobody is dying, going to the hospital, having respiratory issues of major concern over a gas water heater or stove.

It's the politics of energy redistribution...

Posts: 23236 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
As a person who has always had a gas range as well as with over 40 years in the appliance industry they are full of crap.

It's just part of the war on using fossil fuels. I saw that article a week ago and as soon as I saw that the Sierra Club was involved, I knew it was a piece of crap.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, let's ban the use of propane and natural gas appliances and force citizens to utilize electricity - which is today still generated primarily by fossil fuels. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
More big brother/we know what's best for you bullshit. I hate these idiots...but they'll be the first to tell you how "your rights cannot infringe on my rights"--assholes.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
No silly willy-nilly state by state thing, U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is jumping right in. You know, for our safety… Roll Eyes

“Gas stove ban 'on the table' for federal agency:

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission consider ban on gas stoves because of harm pollutants cause on respiratory and other health issues.”

https://www.foxbusiness.com/po...deral-agency-reports

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10913 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
We're all going to die. OMG!

Q

Posts: 26200 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
And the people in WNY are suffering and suffered under their governor's plan to do away with gas stoves. Electric only and how many people were without power?

My family lives south of Buffalo and I specifically asked what were their plans if the power goes out.

Because of the brutal cold, their first thing would be to run their generator for the frig and to keep phones and battery banks recharged. Then they'd light a fire or keep a fire going i the fireplace.

Finally, if everything went to shit, and it somewhat did, they wall off the rooms in the kitchen, crank up the oven and open oven door to get heat, keeping in mind carbon monoxide.

No possible to live off of green energy when the power is out.

Posts: 4068 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I see so many homes with exhaust fans for the range that just vent the area back into the house. That added to how homes are much more airtight than they used to be.

I like gas ranges. I wish people would stop changing the vents to vent back into the house and new buildings would have to have vents to the outside.

Every time I see a microwave that was added above the stove that wasn't originally there the vents to the outside are closed off and it vents right back into the house. It's easier and cheaper to do it that way so it gets done. Doesn't make it right.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Propagandist horseshit.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30294 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post