SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone pull a car trailer behind a large UHaul truck - Damage?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone pull a car trailer behind a large UHaul truck - Damage? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
What Gibb said. The tow dolly sucks.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The U-Haul auto transport is safer than the dolly, but make sure you can adequately hook up the safety chains to your car's frame. Some cars now have air dams/panels and not enough access to hook these up.

There are ratcheting wheel locks, but those are not enough alone to secure the vehicle onto the trailer.

I towed a Prius on an 8 hour move last year and it was not super fun. I had trouble with the car moving around even when tightened down (it was raining and the rear wheels would shimmy a bit). To be safe, I had to stop every hour or two to check on the car.

In addition, the length of the trailer and auto transport limits you to the large truck side of gas stations, and limits you to pull through type lots. These trailers can be backed up a short distance, but I sure as hell would not try it with a car on there.

If you have to tow a vehicle on one of the auto transports, plan out your stops and break areas ahead of time and stick to the plan. Also, keep in mind that these auto transport trailers are rated for 55 mph and have fairly small tires on them. The folks you see driving 80 towing one of these things are idiots.

If it is possible to have someone drive behind the U-Haul instead of towing it, that's what I would do. I did not enjoy towing a car with one, but it is doable if you have no alternative.

Posts: 716 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down With The Sickness
Picture of Sclass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Timely question! I may be doing this very thing.

Those who did it, was it a real hassle to maneuver into gas stations and hotels?

I've made several trips towing from the east coast to Arizona. It's not bad at all and I'm somewhat of a novice at towing. I'd gas up on the interstates whenever possible. Truck stops have plenty of room to maneuver and some have RV lanes for fuel which were really nice. Hotels can be tough because the lots fill up at night. You have to take whatever is available and make it work. One time I had to block four Tesla chargers. Not trying to be a dick but it just worked out that way. Razz Have your front end pointed in a way that you can't get parked in. Walmart and grocery store shopping centers are a good place to grab food. Plenty of parking and easier than trying to do a stand alone fast food joint. You'll get the hang of it real quick.

Posts: 659 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a 16-foot U-Haul to relocate from Washington DC to central PA in 1991. I towed a flatbed U-Haul trailer with my ‘67 Shelby GT-350 on board. I had no issues with stone damage. Some of the best memories of the trip were the many thumbs up and smiles offered for the trailered car.

Best of luck on your trip.

Posts: 283 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Drove a 26ft UHAUL from Poughkeepsie to York Nebraska towing a 21ft Searay and saw no visible damage from the move on the boat.

Posts: 2308 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I moved my son to Oregon from Kentucky earlier this year, 2300 miles. Rented the biggest Uhaul truck they offered, and hauled his car on the rented Uhaul car trailer. No issues at all. Expect poor gas mileage….. I figured it at every fill up, and averaged 8 mpg for the trip!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Why not just get a bra and put it on for piece of mind…

https://www.autoanything.com/c...bsxGR2xoCiWwQAvD_BwE

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post