SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    London to ban Uber
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

London to ban Uber Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Probably motivated by the unions.

"A massive backlash has started after Uber was today stripped of its licence to operate in London with hundreds of thousands of passengers signing a petition to keep the app running.

Transport for London (TfL) sensationally announced the firm would be barred from working in the city from next month due to its failure to report crimes carried out by its drivers…"

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...icence-decision.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9477 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Good idea; lets stifle some people who want to work.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:

Wrong.

My big problem with Uber is that they don't play by the same rules as other similar services. They don't need business licenses or "Medallions", and it wasn't until recently that they were required to have commercial insurance.

I have no problem with Uber doing business if they follow the same rules as other companies doing the same business. This just seems like cheating to me.

So maybe the right solution is to change the rules? But everyone needs to play by the same rules.

Just my opinion, although it's a soapbox for me.

(And, of course, this doesn't count the corporate culture of Uber....)

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3350 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep, either everyone doing commercial livery is subject to the same rules or they are not,

You don't get a pass because because you drive your Hyundai occasionally. If you ferry either a person or food for Ubers new Restaurant delivery service, at the point you toss that switch you are a commercial driver.

You need a commercial drivers license

Your insurance needs to be upgraded to commercial livery service and you need to
change the miles you reported you drive so you
pay the appropriate rate.

If the city has a registration process and license procedure for livery drivers, Uber drivers need to comply.

Otherwise what's the point of having the rules and laws if some folks don't are not subject to them.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Sounds like some people are heavily invested in buggy whip manufacturing.

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Yep, either everyone doing commercial livery is subject to the same rules or they are not....

Dang, I'm not alone!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3350 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
quote:
Yep, either everyone doing commercial livery is subject to the same rules or they are not....

Dang, I'm not alone!

No but I'm sure we'll be under attack from the free market folks soon, I have a trench built across the front yard, some claymores and a 50 Cal mounted on the roof.....

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Something is wrong when a pedicabber is held to higher and stricter licensing and insurance standards than a TNC (Transportation Network Company) driver, e.g., Uber & Lyft.

Not all the TNCs are bad, but I have no sympathy for Uber and Lyft. They treat their drivers like shit, especially the ones who work the hardest. Their business model depends on their drivers being entirely disposable and replaceable. When someone can sign up and start driving in about two hours, there's a sucker every minute willing to give it a shot.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'll keep my uber, thank you.

I've used the local airport shuttles many, many times but finally had the last straw a few months the back. It was actually on that last Shuttle ride that I finally downloaded the uber app and haven't looked back.

First I have to book well ahead time for the shuttle, and they only pick up for certain times depending on your flight departure time. Then they say they could be up to 20 minutes past the scheduled pickup time depending on how many people are picked up before you. And if you're picked up first you have the pleasure of being shuttled around Park city to pick up everyone else after you. Oh yeah, and of course you're sharing a ride with a bunch of other people.

Also if you cancel within 24 hours, you pay in full. Not only that, but it's more expensive than uber to boot!

My last Shuttle ride, the man who picked me up (over 20 mins late by the way) was easily in his late 70's and apparently never heard of gps. He had a hand drawn map for his pickups. Me and the other passenger after watching him search around for 15 mins finally asked for the address of the next pickup so we could enter it into our phones and direct him to the house which we did. We both had flights to catch after all.

And that wasn't the end of it. Screw that nonsense. I finally took my first uber on the way home and will never subject myself to one of those Shuttle rides again.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dang, I'm not alone!

No but I'm sure we'll be under attack from the free market folks soon, I have a trench built across the front yard, some claymores and a 50 Cal mounted on the roof.....

The number of taxi medallions were held at artificially low levels by driver's unions, taxi cab companies and complicit politicians. This allowed monopoly pricing for a sub-standard product with politicians getting a cut in the form of campaign donations.

Why do you hate freedom?

Roll Eyes

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Rules?

The rules are antiquated. Forcing people to use taxis is like forcing people to use fax machines or film cameras. Taxis are a business model from another era.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
The part that amazes me is that, knowing it can be done and the market wants it, is that cab companies haven't embraced using the same app based technology to improve their share of the market.

I've used Uber because I know that my ride is going to arrive, and when. I can expect a reasonably clean and comfortable vehicle. I don't need to mess about with cash or credit cards. Offer me a better product and I'll use it. Don't work to curb the competition instead.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
The part that amazes me is that, knowing it can be done and the market wants it, is that cab companies haven't embraced using the same app based technology to improve their share of the market.

I've used Uber because I know that my ride is going to arrive, and when. I can expect a reasonably clean and comfortable vehicle. I don't need to mess about with cash or credit cards. Offer me a better product and I'll use it. Don't work to curb the competition instead.

I have seen apps from the more traditional taxi companies. What hasn't changed is that their prices are still a multiple of Uber's while their service is, at the very best, no better.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once Uber and Lyft figure out they must share their income with the 'ruling class', those prices will be in line with the competion.

The Uber pricing model does not have to follow the cost model of their competitors.

Often rules are established to manipulate the 'free' market.

I still maintain the only free market left is the black market / underground economy.

Once we go cashless, the free market is truly dead.

quote:
Originally posted by TooTech:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

I have seen apps from the more traditional taxi companies. What hasn't changed is that their prices are still a multiple of Uber's while their service is, at the very best, no better.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1690 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Medallions? Why should I care about Medallions and how Uber and ride sharing are destroying the values of those Medallions? Medallions are investments for people in the taxi business and they have lost huge money. But like any investment, there are risks associated with them. Like others had said - from another era.

Give me a superior product and I will buy. Simple. Uber is cheaper, cleaner, smells great, faster and more courteous. Price estimates are generally accurate. A winner in the consumers' eyes.

Posts: 1811 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Wrong.

My big problem with Uber is that they don't play by the same rules as other similar services. They don't need business licenses or "Medallions", and it wasn't until recently that they were required to have commercial insurance.

I have no problem with Uber doing business if they follow the same rules as other companies doing the same business. This just seems like cheating to me.

So maybe the right solution is to change the rules? But everyone needs to play by the same rules.

Yeah, that's what is needed > MORE regulations to stifle business. Roll Eyes

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
quote:

Wrong.

Yeah, that's what is needed > MORE regulations to stifle business. Roll Eyes

Actually, that's NOT what I said. What I said was they all need to play by the same rules. Whether they need MORE rules, or the other guys need LESS rules, the rules should be the same.

And like I and others have said, to use one example, they should ALL have commercial insurance. I don't think that's one of the "rules" you'd like to see relaxed.

- Dave Barry

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The Uber App for mobile phones is simply awesome. My financial guy took me to lunch via Uber. The App's display showed several Uber cars in the vicinity, and the progress of the one that accepted his request. And he could talk to that driver on his phone – advised him when he made a wrong turn.

I'm gonna get that App!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9477 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I believe and fully support if they serve in the same market they should abide by the same rules. If Uber wants to be in that market, they should be required to pay the same bribes as the unions.

But I would be surprised if the City of London is doing this for any honorable reasons.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Interesting to hear a British perspective on Uber from people calling into Nigel Farage's radio show:

https://youtu.be/aSX_dpNdVCA

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4364 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post