SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Texans get out and vote today!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texans get out and vote today! Login/Join 
posted
Ten Texas constitutional amendments are being voted on. Let’s vote!

Check online at your choice of outlets on the amendments to be voted on.

Posts: 3972 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Voted last week.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1915 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did the early voting thing! Thanks for the reminder for everyone who didn't!

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1548 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Gotta read those Props CAREFULLY!!

https://www.kvue.com/article/n...85-84f0-95f93a5ab71c

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Done.

And fellow Texans, #4 is extremely important Wink

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
I need the idiots guide to voting for some of these:

Proposition 9
The constitutional amendment
authorizing the legislature to exempt from
ad valorem taxation precious metal held
in a precious metal depository located in
this state.

Proposition 10
The constitutional amendment to allow
the transfer of a law enforcement animal
to a qualified caretaker in certain
circumstances.

We need a constitutional amendment for this?

Proposition 4
The constitutional amendment prohibiting
the imposition of an individual income tax,
including a tax on an individual's share of
partnership and unincorporated
association income.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Early voter here.

“Proposition 4
association income.”

Not a difficult decision for me. I’m not in favor of a state income tax. And the more flaming hoops the legislature has to jump through to impose one, the better.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Haven't been following these particular propositions, but my advice to all is always read the text of the actual amendment, not jsut the summary. The summaries seem to be often written to disguise the true nature of the amendment.

Posts: 6082 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
done last week.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Some of the wording of some of the amendments is pretty squirrelly - like the ban on state income tax. If in doubt, check with your county Republican Party. FWIW, Travis County GOP is recommending "yes" votes on 3 and 4.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Done

Posts: 23195 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
“Proposition 4
association income.”

Not a difficult decision for me. I’m not in favor of a state income tax. And the more flaming hoops the legislature has to jump through to impose one, the better.

I couldn't agree more.

My understanding was that this was already law, but this prop put's it into the Texas constitution thus requiring a greater majority of votes to ever amend or repeal it.

By the way, the first thing I do at election time is look at the ProgressTexas voter guide, write myself a note to specifically vote against anything they are for, then read/research the propositions.

Then vote. Big Grin

I specifically didn't early vote so I could witness light turnout firsthand. I was in and out within 10 minutes.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We have these in FL,

The best amendment you could sponsor is an amendment to eliminate the ability of voters to vote on constitutional amendments

None of these are written by and for individual voters, it's special interest groups looking for ways around the legislature and government method of getting bills passed into law.

Everyone is written so as to confuse the voter and the papers never give the correct answer, research the hell out of them.

Posts: 24238 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It was pretty light where I live too - today's the day for longer lines.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
Voted last week.

quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
done last week.

Well vote again!

Posts: 8881 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I voted midafternoon. About a 6 person line.

In addition to the 10 statewide ballot initiatives, we also had two local bonds to vote on. The 2nd one was for installing astroturf in 5 stadiums. It's bad enough that I fork over 1.28% of my home's value annually just for the schools (I don't have kids and total property taxes is 3.3409%), but if the sport's ticket sales or parents can't pay for astroturf then they can play on dirt. I'm not here to fund your kids' entertainment.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23659 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^

I voted early this morning and there were about a dozen people in line and all of the machines occupied. My wife texted me half hour ago, she decided to vote after work. The line goes out the voting room, and around the entire floor, maybe a hundred folks waiting in line. The conversations are all about Prop 4...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
My wife and I and our freshly minted 18 yr old daughter just voted and went to Baskin Robbins after to celebrate.
I voted for prop 4.
Also important was prop 5 to realign the sporting goods taxes back to its mission and away from general fund.

Go Texas!

Posts: 3533 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Haven't been following these particular propositions, but my advice to all is always read the text of the actual amendment, not jsut the summary. The summaries seem to be often written to disguise the true nature of the amendment.

For sure. Local and federal. Gotta do your homework and research them all.

I just got done working so gotta tune in locally to see what turnout was like. Weather was rainy and dreary here all day.

Posts: 3972 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Good. Prop 4 passed by a gigantic margin.

Some of the bond measures I was against passed, but others went my way.