SIGforum
How our language has changed over the years

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/8350099884

January 29, 2022, 06:59 PM
ZSMICHAEL
How our language has changed over the years
Featuring Effrem Zimbalist Jr. and Edd Burns.

January 29, 2022, 07:45 PM
Orguss
I didn't understand half of what Kookie was saying.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
January 29, 2022, 07:56 PM
recoatlift
That clip made me realize how old I am.

I understood every word, but I was a teenager in ‘58.

I don’t understand the woke jargon of today or why would I would want to be “woke”.

I’m stuck in the 50’s for the most part & I like it. Simple and decent to all I meet unless proven otherwise.
January 29, 2022, 08:39 PM
mcrimm
Reminded me of the scene from Airplane.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
January 29, 2022, 08:43 PM
snoris
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Reminded me of the scene from Airplane.

"Barbara Billingsley, please pick up the Language Line phone---Barbara Billingsley to the Language Line."

"I've got it!"

"Thank you!"
January 29, 2022, 09:19 PM
ensigmatic
My wife, same age as me but didn't grow up in the U.S.: "I understood all the words, but it made no sense. What did they say?" - LOL

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
January 29, 2022, 09:34 PM
PASig
Our language is always evolving and changing; the version of English from 500-600 years ago may as well be a foreign language compared to now.

January 30, 2022, 12:38 AM
wingspar
I can’t believe that was one of my favorite shows. The sound and the acting was so crude but it was all anyone knew at the time, and yes, I understood every word that was said much easier that I understand todays garble.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent
January 30, 2022, 01:04 AM
RichardC
I grokked.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock
January 30, 2022, 06:57 AM
Blackmore
I understood it all. Brought to mind a schoolyard Q&A about Kookie:

How many girl friends does Kookie have? 77
What do they watch when he takes them parking? Sunset
What's he make them do? ...

Truth: The New Hate Speech
January 30, 2022, 07:15 AM
mark123
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
My wife, same age as me but didn't grow up in the U.S.: "I understood all the words, but it made no sense. What did they say?" - LOL

"Yahoo Serious Festival" Big Grin
January 30, 2022, 07:23 AM
Patrick-SP2022
Shaboom!

January 30, 2022, 07:25 AM
r0gue
I got almost none of it. I'm 50. So, I'm guessing you have to be about 70 now to get it?

January 30, 2022, 08:13 AM
Unfortunately, I understood every word also. Although this clip was a bit overdone even for 1958, I remember people actually talking like this.

I would agree with r0gue, you would have to be at least 70, probably closer to 75 to truly understand the lingo.

I am glad this idiom is long gone, although, it is preferable to some of todays modern terminology.
January 30, 2022, 09:08 AM
PASig
quote:
Originally posted by 0658:

I am glad this idiom is long gone, although, it is preferable to some of todays modern terminology.

Yes like:

Tryna: “trying to”
Finna: “about to” (corrupted form of “fitting to” I believe)

January 30, 2022, 09:47 AM
joatmonv
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

Yes like:

Tryna: “trying to”

Finna brings out a certain anger in me, not gonna lie. I can't stand the slaughter of the English language but that word annoys me the most.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.
January 30, 2022, 10:10 AM
recoatlift
quote:
Unfortunately, I understood every word also. Although this clip was a bit overdone even for 1958, I remember people actually talking like this.

I would agree with r0gue, you would have to be at least 70, probably closer to 75 to truly understand the lingo.

BINGO! 3 months shy of 75. Agree on the overdone “hep cat lingo.”

January 30, 2022, 10:12 AM
RogueJSK
quote:

It's a corrupted form of "fixing to", a phrase more common in the South, meaning "about to"/"planning to" (do something).

https://ygdp.yale.edu/phenomena/fixin-to

"Gonna" is a more widespread and older term, a similar corruption of "going to", which means basically the same thing as "finna".
January 30, 2022, 10:29 AM
V-Tail
quote:

English from 500-600 years ago may as well be a foreign language compared to now.
Back in Ye Olde Tymes they spoke in iambic pentameter.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
January 30, 2022, 11:15 AM
Opus Dei
"I have a big ask of you". I saw that elsewhere and it still annoys me.