SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Freezing weather and an inground pool
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freezing weather and an inground pool Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
I bought a house with an inground pool this year, a first for me. This coming weekend Orlando is getting down to 30-32 degrees overnight, right at the 6am-7am hour, just before the sun comes up and it warms up to the high 40's.

Do I need to worry about the pool pump and exposed PVC pipes if it hits right at freezing for a hour or two? Or should I make a point to run the pump overnight?

Posts: 2307 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
All you can do is keep it running

Is it a salt pool?

Posts: 5327 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No on the freeze. Pump on if you wish.

Awake not woke

Posts: 568 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
No. You will need more then an hour of freezing temps to cause problems.
Running your pump for piece of mind won't hurt anything.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
My equipment has water and air temperature sensors, once it gets down to certain temperature it automatically kicks the pump on to circulate the water until it warms back up. Depending on the system there should be settings for "Freeze Protection".

Posts: 1350 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
30 - 32 deg for a couple of hours is a non issue .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Probably no big deal for a couple of hours, but running the pump will negate any risk.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I might forsake my morning dip....

Posts: 6484 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm running mine from late at night until 6AM here because of the cold.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Run the pump.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11288 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Have the same deal in Ormond Beach,run the pump until above freezing temps. Should just be 3 nights. Turn your sprinkler system off.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'm going to run the pump all night, it is now predicted to dip into the upper 20's. If you have a mechanical timer just pull off the stop marker, turn it on
and head inside.

Cover up any floral/blooming plants with sheets, plants here will burn up in the cold.

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Is it a salt pool?

Ahhhh, yes, forgot to mention that. I suppose that will lower the freezing temp a bit?

Posts: 2307 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Is it a salt pool?

Ahhhh, yes, forgot to mention that. I suppose that will lower the freezing temp a bit?

Around 3-1/2 degrees for water the salinity of the ocean. For a salt water pool?

Maybe 1/4 degree or so.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
Do I need to worry about the pool pump and exposed PVC pipes if it hits right at freezing for a hour or two? Or should I make a point to run the pump overnight?

My pool system has automatic freeze control that turns on the pool pumps and waterfall pumps when temps reach 35 degrees, my normal everyday setting is 7 hours 8am-3pm. 1-2 hours is not going to kill the pipes if the pumps aren't pumping, but for longer, yes, catastrophic damage will occur. When we had the big freeze a couple of years ago, when power outages were happening, most of the pool PVC systems in my neighborhood were severely damaged. Ours survived because I winterized the pool hours before we lost power for 22 hours. But we still suffered with a cracked Polaris pump, and hairline cracks in the PVC system, which I repaired with epoxy (still holding up today). I'm friends with the local pool store and got a pump at the head of the line. Several of our neighbors, their PVC piping just literally exploded when temps were in single digits and no power.

Just this afternoon, I covered the pool equipment with a packing blanket and tarp, completely covering the whole system, we're expecting temps in the teens later this week (I did this early this year as well). My friend at the pool store did this in the 2021 freeze and his equipment and pipes did just fine, even with the power shut off for a few hours at a time. He told me that an estimated 20-25,000 pools in Texas were damaged in 2021. His company was booked solid for 8 months repairing/replacing pool systems locally.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16708 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Unless you were to go way below zero for days (not going to happen where you are) you're fine.

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
My equipment has water and air temperature sensors, once it gets down to certain temperature it automatically kicks the pump on to circulate the water until it warms back up. Depending on the system there should be settings for "Freeze Protection".

This here. Main pump has a freeze protection setting on it directly or more likely it’s on your main board. Should be set for 35. You need to check it. Should be there and set as it’s rather common. Prior to temps dropping to 32, drain any booster pumps you have 100%. You may have a booster pump for a hot tub/spa and that needs to be drained. Water freezes in there you’ll crack the housing and all the pool equipment has gone up dramatically in price since the virus and remains so. Many times double the cost. I forgot to drain mine once, the booster, and the housing cracked causing a leak. Many times before it’d drop below freezing and I wouldn’t touch anything and it would all be fine. I got bit.

It’s coming here too tomorrow. Tomorrow afternoon temps dramatically drop into the 20’s and it’ll be 14 degrees tomorrow night when I head to the gym. So tonight before I go to bed I’ll go out and shut the water valve off that feeds the sprinkler system with a flash light. Then run a few zones to purge any water in the lines. Exterior faucet guards/insulation things are already on them, keep them on year round. Last step is the pool equipment. I have a booster for the spa and I’ll drain that via removing the plug just in case there is any water in it and I’ll let it drain out for 15 minutes. The main pump for the pool will cut on itself once we hit 35 degrees and stay on for days until temps are back up to above freezing consistently which is Tuesday so I better pull the skimmer buckets out and clean them as well as the Polaris net so I don’t have to put my hand in that cold ass water during this. Damnit I thought this would hit this weekend but now I have to fuck with all this tonight. Is what it is. Will have to turn the faucets on in the house as well and let them drip. I hate winter.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12642 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Jhe is correct, I run my pump all winter 24x7, never a problem no matter how cold. But, IF you get a sheet of ice on a vinyl lined pool, don't break the ice. I've been told the resulting pieces could cut the vinyl liner.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8689 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
In the South, only a problem if many hours of freezing AND accompanied by a power outage like Valentine's '21 in Texas (aka Winter Storm Uri). That decimated many pools in Texas and it took the spare parts market forever to recover.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23269 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post