SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car shield thoughts?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car shield thoughts? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I have never considered such a deal. But have an elderly family member asking me what I think. Before I tell them what I think I know I thought I would get insight from the collective.
Please tell me how I should respond to the request about whether it is something they should consider or is it truly a scam. They have a older Toyota Avalon. So I see no need. I believe they said it is $100 a months and of course some kind of deductible. What is the real scoop on them. Thanks guys and gals.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Fine print will most likely say used parts for replacement, these "offers" seem to cycle around, then go away for a while, nothing new. Not worth it in my opinion.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go elsewhere. The service is not like the commercial.

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Not just No, but Hell NO!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8918 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I - more properly, the repair shop I work in - have had one dealing with CarShield, the IWEs (Integrated Wheel End, i.e., vacuum-operated axle shaft/hub couplers) on a Ford 4x4. They paid a little over half of the $394 repair bill. I posted a thread about it about a year ago.

I would call this a form of insurance, which by its very nature is a form of gambling, in this case that you won't need it. It isn't a total scam, but neither will it pay all of the bill as the ads suggest. For something major like an engine or transmission they will probably specify used parts. Given that a Toyota Avalon is one of the most bulletproof cars made and the service will probably never be needed, I'd pass on that particular deal. Put the money into a savings account or something.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard pass.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I saw an article somewhere that garages were refusing to work on customers vehicles with carshield. Carshield wasn't paying the shops and they were getting screwed out of the money owed from carshield.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It’s probably about as worthless as a home warranty from American Home Shield. Maybe the same group of crooks based on the name.

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Nope

Posts: 13814 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call Toyotie and see if they offer a Toyota extended warranty for the Avalon. It may be cheaper than 100 bucks a month too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Are those the assholes who have those commercials with the gal who tells us how the world has turned to shit, so we need their service?

You don't want to know what I would like to see happen to those people.

Posts: 107633 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Their commercials insult my intelligence.

"Due to a decline in the economy..."

Yeah, they waited until then to start the company and did it just to serve those who were struggling.

"An open phone line has been established..."

As opposed to a closed one? Isn't a phone line, by definition, open and established? Why not just say, "You can call us at 1-800-xxxxxxx?"

Posts: 3542 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, this shit. They need to fire this ad agency. Based on this approach, I would never, ever consider doing business with these people. The fact that the executives of this business approved this fucked-up approach tells me all I need to know. They can FOAD.

Posts: 107633 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
The clause that you are looking for specifically is “Like kind and quality” which is their euphemism for “used parts”

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8113 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
I am in the automotive industry and have been for 30 years. There is NO Way i would ever use this company or suggest anyone else does. They do not want to approve claims and the wording in their contract makes it so there are very few claims they will pay. STAY AWAY from these crooks!

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 240 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NapoleonSolo:
I am in the automotive industry and have been for 30 years. There is NO Way i would ever use this company or suggest anyone else does. They do not want to approve claims and the wording in their contract makes it so there are very few claims they will pay. STAY AWAY from these crooks!

Sounds like they are exactly like American Home Shield for cars. I've bought a couple of houses that had AHS attached to it for a year. Absolutely horrible human beings to work with.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yeah, this shit. They need to fire this ad agency. Based on this approach, I would never, ever consider doing business with these people. The fact that the executives of this business approved this fucked-up approach tells me all I need to know. They can FOAD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYPnM14spXY

With a little tweaking that video could've been from the Babylon Bee... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8918 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
I thought I saw an article somewhere that garages were refusing to work on customers vehicles with carshield. Carshield wasn't paying the shops and they were getting screwed out of the money owed from carshield.
How could a shop get screwed out of money ? The vehicle owner is on the hook for the repair costs if the insurance doesn't pay .

Posts: 4063 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
How could a shop get screwed out of money ? The vehicle owner is on the hook for the repair costs if the insurance doesn't pay .

CarShield's target demographic cannot afford to pay more than a deductible, at best. And no shop wants to have to keep the car and then sell it to get paid.

Posts: 3542 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:

CarShield's target demographic cannot afford to pay more than a deductible, at best. And no shop wants to have to keep the car and then sell it to get paid.
They can pay 100 bucks a month or more every month but they can only afford the deductible on a repair ? Where is your source for this ?

Posts: 4063 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post