SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best place to order a Khukuri?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best place to order a Khukuri? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I’d like to order a Khukuri knife, but am wary of ordering from an Indian company.

Anyone have any experience? I’d like something traditional. Have always appreciated the knife and it’s history.

https://www.khukurihouseonline.com/ seems to be a nice looking website with excellent prices.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Himalayan Imports ( https://himalayan-imports.com/ ) always seems to come up as a great option when Khukris are discussed, but I've never quite gotten around to ordering one.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Himalayan Imports is the place I've seen touted before as well, but I don't remember where. I do remember being impressed with their site and thinking I'd give them a try. You have reminded me; I might just do that.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
A friend brought me one back from Nepal many years ago, and it is quite a knife. Very heavy blade. One swing from that, and it will take someone out. Nasty weapon!

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I've got one from Tora Blades. Simon and his crew do good work and that thing is sharp as hell. Be warned if you go with Tora. They make them in batches and waits are quite long sometimes, but if you ask me, they are well worth it. Bonus about Tora is that all blades are made to exacting standards from historical samples.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I have 3 from Himalayan Imports.
I ordered them through "Uncle Bill" when he was still alive. I believe his wife is still in charge of the operation.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
I ordered them through "Uncle Bill" when he was still alive. I believe his wife is still in charge of the operation.

Likewise here although I only bought one through Bill, back in 1998, a Nepal Sami handmade 15" Ang Khola buffalo horn handled khukri. Trouble free transaction. Great blade.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
I have seen RMJ made ones, they look great, I'm sure they are fairly expensive as well.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An "authentic" one or something different?

https://www.knivesplus.com/bec...ardtkukribkt-21.html

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
An "authentic" one or something different?

https://www.knivesplus.com/bec...ardtkukribkt-21.html

I plan to get either WWII style or similar. But I do want authentic.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

I ordered mine through "Uncle Bill" also. He was quite a character.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've ordered from them Khukuri house back in 2017 for khukuris and they arrived looking great. Even took special orders etc. I'm very happy with the two I received. They look about as you imagine from the website but I can take a pic or two if you shoot me an email.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
RMJ make the best, metallurgically, that exist.
They may look a little more modern than what you're looking for, but they are the real deal.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
RMJ make the best, metallurgically, that exist.
They may look a little more modern than what you're looking for, but they are the real deal.

Agreed. Pricey and not traditional, but I want one.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I wish I recalled where I bought mine from. It came pretty dull. I touched it up a little, then tried it on a 1 1/2" tree branch. Whack! The branch bounced and the blade had a nice flat spot on it like it was made of lead. lol

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another choice to peruse.

Traditional Filipino Weapons
TFW Weapons are individually hand forged using 5160/D2 blended steel, nitrate treated, and tempered to 58~60 on the Rockwell hardness scale.

Kukri

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chongo- just so you know the khukris manufactured in Nepal are generally of not great quality, I have been handling khukris since I could walk ( my Grandpa and Uncles were officers in the Indian Brigade of Gurkhas). So, when you choose one, be sure to do some research, just so you dont get a lemon like CAS got.
I wonder if tac has some sources for the khukris that are carried by the British battalions of the Royal Gurkha Rifles nowadays.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:I wonder if tac has some sources for the khukris that are carried by the British battalions of the Royal Gurkha Rifles nowadays.

Only this, I'm afraid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40B6KmIzo_8

My part of the Army had no dealings with the Gurkhas. When I was in BRIXMIS we had an English Gurkha officer - he was six feet five inches and we often wondered if he'd joined the Gurkhas for a laff. He was as tight as a duck's a$$, and used to frequent the goodwill stores of the NVA forces to get clothes and stuff for his four kids.

Posts: 11321 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Huh. I had one of those and have no idea where it is or what happened to it. Confused Frown

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12416 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post