SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2018 Blue Angels Seattle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2018 Blue Angels Seattle Login/Join 
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted
Never gets old workin the Blue Angels. Hopefully it'll be my last year. The more airshows I work, the more fun they get!! Big Grin

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
They came through kalispell earlier this week. We get to watch them practice in Pensacola during the spring. We winter in Destin.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I take my daughter to the Blue Angels show at the Naval Academy every year. It seems that in the last few years, the shows have gotten shorter and they omit some of the more impressive maneuvers. Is this happening at all of their shows or just the one at the USNA?

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Annapolis / USNA is never a full up show, there are too many obstructions around the area compared to a lake front or airfield show.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
With Seattle so Liberal...Somewhat surprising they even host them. Hate for the Military and all that. Are there protesters?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
We lived off the departure end of the runway at what is now MCAS Miramar for several years. I got the radio frequencies plugged in and would watch from my patio, listening to the Blues during the performances. One low pass came right over the canyon behind our house, so low you could see if they had Firestone tires or Goodyear, and so loud it set off every car alarm in University City. The cats needed psychiatric counseling for a couple of weeks afterwards, too.

Dang! What fun!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
With Seattle so Liberal...Somewhat surprising they even host them. Hate for the Military and all that. Are there protesters?

You have to remember that there's a huge military presence around the area from all the service branches, so protests, ( if any ) probably wouldn't get much traction. The most in the way of protests I remember growing up in Washington, were from the idiotic Green Peace fucktards who tried blocking railroad tracks used by the 'white trains', ( carrying nukes to Bangor ) and whenever the boomers came in.

I know the Blues usually performed at Sea Fair during the hydroplane races and sometimes one of the airfields, ( Boeing or Paine ) and they were always the star attraction in years past, ( the Thunderbirds normally would do shows at McCord annually, too ) but the way things have been spiraling down the tubes in Washington in recent years, I almost wouldn't be surprised if there were some kind of protests against the flight demo teams.

I'm sure there's plenty of complaints from the uptight liberal assholes around there about noise, ( sound of freedom! ) and such. Roll Eyes

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve never seen the Blue Angels, and I need to remedy that. The Thunderbirds have been coming to Cheyenne during Frontier Days since their inception, and it’s always great to see them.

The thread makes me recall one of the best days of my life. We had returned to Arizona during spring training. We went to a game between the Diamondbacks and the ChiSox. It was a glorious spring day in the desert. Curt Schilling was on the mound for Arizona. There was an air show scheduled for the weekend at D-M and the Thunderbirds were going through their routine overhead. God Blessed America, what a great day!

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No idea why they still do Seattle, other than Boeing is there (and they make the Hornet / SuperHornet / plus a bunch of other Navy stuff).

But places like San Fran puzzle me even more. The Leftist Liberal complain about the oppression and claimed they were being strafed once year.

What a bunch of lunatics.

I have seen the Blues so many times I can't even begin to count. It's fun knowing the guys in charge the last couple years, but after you live the life, it's just another airshow.

Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Saw them two weeks ago @ Blues Over Biloxi Airshow. Two days of watching from The Great Lawn just across from the beach. Thousands of people lined the beach...simply incredible!

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Went every year they came to Portsmouth. Unfortunatly they haven't been back in a few years.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Every year there has to be some dumbass that has to voice their opinion on the Blues:
Time to Retire the Blues

It was a blast working them this year. I got to scare the piss out of their coordinator when I had Fat Albert depart 32L with an A10 breaking midfield over 32R. The runways are 375ft apart. Eek Big Grin I've worked enough airshows to know what will work and what won't. As long as everyone is on the same page, it's all good. Cool

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
Every year there has to be some dumbass that has to voice their opinion on the Blues:
Time to Retire the Blues

There is almost a little bit of logic in his opinion. Of course, if one is loves aviation, America, or freedom, and isn’t a leftist more interested in importing and coddling more future leftist voters, it all reads like a steaming pile of what horses leave behind.

quote:
It was a blast working them this year. I got to scare the piss out of their coordinator when I had Fat Albert depart 32L with an A10 breaking midfield over 32R. The runways are 375ft apart. Eek Big Grin I've worked enough airshows to know what will work and what won't. As long as everyone is on the same page, it's all good. Cool

Sweet!

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“But is the enormous amount of money spent justified?”
Yes, yes it is.

Personally I don’t care if they go back to Seattle, but they wont be retired anytime soon.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Time to Retire the Blues

Any chance you could post the text of the article? The Times wants me to pay and I refuse to give that liberal rag any money. Thanks.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Any chance you could post the text of the article? The Times wants me to pay and I refuse to give that liberal rag any money. Thanks.

Jim

Opinion
Time to retire the Blue Angels

By Patrick Pilcher
Special to The Times

Given the many worthwhile activities taking place during Seafair, I wonder why it is necessary to use the Blue Angels as part of the celebration.

Seafair has always brought a festive mood to the Puget Sound region. No one can deny the excitement of the Navy’s Blue Angels roaring overhead. Yet I find their annual visit in poor taste.

Given the many worthwhile activities taking place during Seafair, I wonder why it is necessary to use the Blue Angels as part of the celebration.

The Blue Angels certainly provide entertainment; but do we really need this type of diversion? While many see it as simply an air show, it is also a display of military muscle-flexing that seems a bit outdated — even considering the recent events in Syria, Iran and other troubled areas.

The real purpose of the Blue Angels is to support the recruitment effort and give citizens a seat-of-the-pants, ear-splitting example of our tax dollars at work. But is the enormous amount of money spent justified?

The main purpose of our military is to defend the country and its principles of freedom. We should not use our armed forces as a traveling road show to entertain the masses or a high-tech recruiting measure. We need a strong military as a peacekeeping force. Military hardware is expensive to produce and maintain. The aircraft used by the Blue Angels are designed for combat — not barnstorming circus props.

Perhaps a better use of the Navy’s resources would be to tap the expertise of its personnel. Navy people have always played an important role in the Puget Sound area. They have donated to local blood banks, helped in community projects and generally worked to provide a positive image.

As long as we continue to maintain a large military force, wouldn’t it make more sense to use Navy folks — when not engaged in training or combat roles — to help the community in which they are stationed

Why not combine the Navy’s vast technological training programs with the outreach capacity of local state employment offices to devise a cutting-edge program to help those suffering from long-term unemployment or those seeking to retrain after a layoff? The administration of such a program would certainly test the abilities of military and civilian bureaucrats to work together. The benefits, however, would be felt far into the future.

To critics who say the Navy should not use its resources this way, I say it’s no different from using Navy jets to produce an air show. Instead of merely entertaining, why not teach and enrich?

A final objection to the Blue Angels is that of the jets conjuring up horrifying images among many recent immigrants from war-torn countries. When the fighters roar in at low altitude, as they often do at Seafair, it can be a reminder of the terror of death raining from the sky in the form of cluster bombs or other weapons. The images remain fused into the memories of people who suffered so much during war. We should be more sensitive toward the feelings of these people.

The Blue Angels have flown over Seafair for many years. They should be retired with dignity and remembered in our history for the role they played. We do not need the Navy to provide thrills during Seafair. There are many other excellent events that more than make up for the loss of this blatant military ad campaign.

Patrick Pilcher moved back to Seattle after retiring as a park ranger for the National Park Service and is a Vietnam veteran.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Thanks RHINOWSO. I can't agree with this guy at all. I can't imagine how many young kids see these displays and inspire them to pursue a military career. The cost is so minimal, that it is insignificant. The same goes for Fleet week.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
As long as we continue to maintain a large military force, wouldn’t it make more sense to use Navy folks — when not engaged in training or combat roles — to help the community in which they are stationed

Why not combine the Navy’s vast technological training programs with the outreach capacity of local state employment offices to devise a cutting-edge program to help those suffering from long-term unemployment or those seeking to retrain after a layoff? The administration of such a program would certainly test the abilities of military and civilian bureaucrats to work together. The benefits, however, would be felt far into the future.

That’s what he would turn the entire military over to, given the chance—-and they were well on the way in the administration of the previous president.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:

That’s what he would turn the entire military over to, given the chance—-and they were well on the way in the administration of the previous president.

That's just a leftist wet dream he has - it would be horribly inefficient and a general waste of time for the military.

Every military unit I was involved in already did a lot of community outreach, be it blood drives, habitat for humanity, cleaning up a stretch of road, or tutoring / mentoring underprivileged kids - to the point that it almost gave me a "do we need to do everything around?" feeling, as we were just doing doing doing.

And the military is hardly bloated - or at least not the sharp end of the spear portion - they don't have time or money left over to do even more for a generally thankless population like infests the Left Coast.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post