SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Old Fart curious about gaming systems
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Fart curious about gaming systems Login/Join 
posted
Pinball era relic has a job at Sony. Seeing all the excitement around the gaming systems.
Assuming we have some younger (than me) members conversant in the offerings.
If I were to consider a system what system and Sig Forum oriented games would be suggested?

Posts: 1971 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I'm one for the Nintendo Switch.

Largely due in part that the handheld console is not limited to regional codes.

If you want to play Island Flight Simulator and can only find the game in Germany, it will work fine.

I've been playing Super Robot Wars VTX for about a year and a half.

The usual Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc... are available on this console as well.

When you get bored, you can swap out the case for a clear one. Wink

Posts: 9167 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I've had just about every system since the Atari.
Never had an Xbox though.

Been with Playstation since the PS1, got a PS4 and a PS4 Pro at the moment.
I got my son a Switch a couple of years ago that he seems to like and still messes around with it.

I pretty much stopped buying disks with the PS3 and just download them now.
I'm in my mid 50's and still play, lots of stuff out there to kill some time with, depending on what you want to do.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Xbox. The Ultimate game pass can be paid monthly and give you access to a ton of games. You can always use it to stream too.

Posts: 17902 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am more or less a PlayStation guy but if you are only buying one, this generation I would go with the Xbox series X for a few reasons.
-external storage/storage upgrade issues with PS5
-Some cooling issues with the PS5 and some odd design choices
—XBox game pass really is a hell of a deal
-Microsoft has outright bought at least 1 MAJOR studio and will likely buy more.

PlayStation always has exclusive titles that I tend to love but this time around if I only bought one it would be the XBox.

As for what to play? Games can be as mindless or as in depth as you want. There is something for everybody. From brain teasers to shooters to role playing to sims to interactive movies etc. etc. you just have to dip your feet in and try some out, game pass is a great way to do this cheaply.

My two cents and I have been doing this since the BIG Red plane sucked in Combat and Pitfall Harry was running across alligator heads to that addictive riff on the Atari 2600. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Now for a left field suggestion. If you want a really different experience get a Occulus Quest 2 and give VR a try. Lots of game types and other programs that run the gamut from giving you the feeling f sitting in a theater to the most awesome “Google streets” you have ever experienced in an app called Wander. Shooting and tearing robots apart with your bare hands, picking them up and using them as shields or weapons is also hella fun in Robo recall. Seriously you haven’t lived until you’ve torn a robot arm off and beaten him to death with it. Smile

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
Pinball era relic has a job at Sony.

Are you saying that you have a job at Sony?

If so then the Sony PlayStation makes sense to me.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Also be honest how many of you are now humming the Pitfall Atari 2600 theme/Riff. Smile

posted Hide Post
How old are you?
Guys in their 50s now grew up on video games in the 80s...

---------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Do you plan on playing with any other people?

Like I recommend for those buying for their kids, get what their friends are playing on.

I've had every system since the early days. But I mainly play on Xbox.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8026 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I have are these

And a A 1980's Nintendo. All the grandkids got all the fancy stuff. X box

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've had playstations (3, currently own 1), xboxes (3, currently own 2), nintendos (3, currently own 0)...and I always end up back at PC.

In fact...I was streaming an episode of Rust on twitch recently. Getting ready to expand to Icarus, and considering some FS2020 episodes (real pilot flying in Alaska and all).

I really got into fallout 4 on Xbox.
I also very much enjoyed sniper elite 4 on that console.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
All I have are these

And a A 1980's Nintendo. All the grandkids got all the fancy stuff. X box

Nice!!

I’m looking for a Robotron 2084

Found a few, but they just not right

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
How old are you?
Guys in their 50s now grew up on video games in the 80s...

---------------

I'm 61 and have never been into video games. Always been one to get outside and play sports etc instead. The early stuff like Space Invaders was boring to me. Having said that I'm sure some of the currently available games could be pretty interesting. Especially some of the VR stuff.

To answer the other question above. Yes actually working at Sony. Part time Summer gig driving a fork lift. So if you pick up a PlayStation there's about a 80% chance I've loaded it on the truck. Even Sony employees get zero discounts on PlayStation products.

Think I'll find somewhere I can check out some options local, in person.

Posts: 1971 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Couple of thoughts to throw into the selection criteria.

#1. The box is not the point, the games are the point. (Heresy, I know.) Figure out what specific games you are most interested in, find out which system runs more of them, and factor that into your decision. If you're truly starting from scratch, and don't know, you can look at gameplay video of some candidates.

#2. Many of these are unobtanium due to the COVID craziness. If you are in a hurry, be aware that the current, high end options are scarcer than hens' teeth. (And this is before the holiday rush.) You may wind up paying 'scalper's prices' off Ebay, and if so, factor those prices into your decision rather than list price.

#3. Given #2, if you wind up considering a Sony system, since you're working there see if their employee purchase option has any availability. If so, that may wind up being the deciding factor.

#4. The boxes may be capable of far better video than some TVs can take advantage of. Two implications: a) if you are pursuing the latest in game boxes and have an older TV, and the video quality/size matters to you, you may want to consider a TV upgrade as well, and b) if you have an older TV that you don't want to replace, then some of the whizzy pixel-shoveling advantages of the latest and greatest game boxes may not matter as much in your decision.

Posts: 15035 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Fun fact I recently heard: 50% of gamers are over 50.

Joel makes very good points above.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd get a used xbox one and sign up for gamepass. I just bought one for $150 off Craigslist. I think gamepass is still offering a 90 day trial of game pass ultimate for $1. If you sign up for the Microsoft rewards you get points off game play and other stuff. You can easily get enough points each month to pay for a month of game pass.

Posts: 185 | Registered: July 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Xbox Series X here and also over 50.

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 547 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
PS5, and get yourself a solid 4k 27” monitor. Gaming is better on a monitor imo. TV’s are for film, etc.

Call of Duty (Warzone) will take you many months to master. It’s a free game, just buy the battle pass on day 1 of a season ($10) and play it and you’ll never have to pay for anything again.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
We need more information. What kind of games are you interested in? Whats your budget?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post