SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Point of order...

Is the 30 hr rule consecutive hours or "in session" hours?

30 consecutive hours by the clock, not according to "in session" hours. I think they said it would be about 4:43 PM on Saturday (or later) since the cloture vote was around 10:43 or so this morning. All times Eastern.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2164 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Two weeks and 177 pages ago, I said that this looked to be about wrapped up.

Boy, that was a miss. Roll Eyes

Big Grin

Q

Posts: 27561 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey, production overruns, script changes, casting changes, union strikes, all the usual shit to delay a production Smile

But it will be a fun weekend.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17175 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Collins gave a very impressive speech for anyone that cared to listen and there was something to appreciate and consider regardless of ideology. It was long, but necessarily so and addressed everything in detail and thoughtfully as someone who was truly looking at all angles of everything.

As for Manchin, I'll gladly take his yes vote, but it took zero courage and little politcal risk to simply announce immediately after Collins had confirmed her yes vote. I hope West Virginians see this for what it is, and still vote him out of office. While he may get some "public grief" from some of his colleagues, I have no doubt this was discussed ahead of time within his caucus and they knew he would vote yes if only to try and save his Senate seat.

As many others have already mentioned, I'm not waiting until tomorrow to celebrate. Cheers everyone!

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4416 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I might need a new shirt...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24610 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Two weeks and 177 pages ago, I said that this looked to be about wrapped up.

One of the most mysterious aspects here. I can very seldom forecast the response to the threads I start.

Some seem like they would draw lots of interest and replies, but 500-800 reads, no replies and drop into never land. Others are almost throw aways, but a week later and nearly 100 replies!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:

As many others have already mentioned, I'm not waiting until tomorrow to celebrate. Cheers everyone!

I'm inclined to wait, but I know I won't be able to help myself. Gonna drink something fine tonight, of that I have no doubt. In fact, I think I better head off to the gym early and get that out of the way. This has been an exhausting two weeks.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30927 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to tune to CNN after the vote IF he's confirmed. It may almost as much fun as watching them the day after the election.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1901 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think I will open this...

been saving it for 10 years already - was going to open it on my retirement

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53806 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Time to clear the Capitol building of the riff-raff until the final vote is taken. We need total security for all of these senators. The Antifa movement can bring in some real derelicts.

Susan Collins shamed the left and even though she is a wishy-washy Republican she hit a grand slam for us today.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2435 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
In the last two weeks, I’ve been cheering on Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham, and now, Susan freaking Collins.

It’s like I’ve wandered into the Twilight Zone, only in a good way.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16317 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I will be drinking beer for Judge Kavanaugh tonight and when we crush the commies in November I will drink vodka to thank the Russians for seeing to it that Donald Trump got elected which allowed all this winning to begin with! Razz

But my vodka is Tito's which is from Texas so sorry Vlad! Razz

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8621 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
On the eve of Justice Kavanaugh's confirmation, let us note that President Hillary Clinton would not have nominated such a distinguished jurist to the Bench. President Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio or Ted Cruz might not have stuck with the nominee through the Democrats' assault.

There is only one man who could have gotten us to this point. One man who could fight back against the swamp and give Cocaine Mitch and his colleagues the backbone to stick it out with him.

We have Justice Kavanaugh because we have President Trump.

Posts: 6083 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This!!!

Susan Collins shamed the left and even though she is a wishy-washy Republican she hit a grand slam for us today.[/QUOTE]

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2150 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I will also add that we have Kavanaugh because of Kavanaugh. A lesser man would have folded like a cheap suit. Which is one of the things the left was hoping for.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JALLEN, sceeming Schumer has been anti gun since as far back as I reminder. Knowing that K is a follower of president that would indicate he would not work to over turn the 2 Amendment. This put him in the sights of Schumer.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I gotta ask. How many of you will be tuning into CNN, NBC, and/or MSLSD tomorrow evening specifically to watch the meltdowns of the crazies? I might even break my standing rule and tune in for a bit. Razz

I might have a few friends over and we can make a drinking game of it.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have Justice Kavanaugh because we have President Trump.

Absolutely true! Big Grin

I read yesterday that his fortune has diminished by over a billion dollars since taking office. That is how much he has paid to serve his country. And that is probably the least of it compared with the constant struggle with the MSM, the unending threats against him and his family, and so on.

Every day I am thankful that he is in the White House. None of us ever guessed-- or could have imagined-- that he would turn out to be such a great President of the United States.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11215 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I think I will open this...

been saving it for 10 years already - was going to open it on my retirement

On a positive note, when retirement arrives, it may be open but it will already have a fond memory attached to it and you can look back and smile Wink

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Isn't it something? Out of this whole despicable mess, we have Lyndsey Graham and Susan Collins emerging as representing the decisive moments that brought some sanity to this awful time in our country's history. I give Susan Collins that credit because a Ted Cruz or a Mike Lee or even a Mitch McConnell giving that same speech would've fell on deaf ears. It resonates much more widely coming from her. Susan Collins will no doubt get beat up hard for this vote, but it was unequivocally the right thing to do.

Lyndsey Graham...well, I think we can all appreciate what he did in that hearing room in defense of Brett Kavanaugh. I don't really need to say more.

Two of some of the country's biggest RINOS, now emerging as Republican stars. How about that?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30927 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post