SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    French RAID using a Kel-Tec KSG Shotgun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

French RAID using a Kel-Tec KSG Shotgun Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
Was watching a video on RAID - French National Police's SWAT equivalent and they showed a RAID officer holding a Kel-Tec KSG - @ 10:29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fA1zVulQKA

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4364 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Dressed up with Magpul MBUS, EOTech 512 and Streamlight TLR-1 HL.

Q

Posts: 27621 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that optic a good choice for a scattergun?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
EoTech is a good choice for a shotgun.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I volunteer on Sundays as the RSO for my clubs shotgun ranges. One of the duties for the RSO is to provide a safety lesson to new shooters and assisting them in starting out on the Trap range. Last weekend we had 4 new shooters show up, both Father & Son pairs. Pair 1 came with a 20 gauge Winchester pump for the Dad and one of these Keltecs for the son. Pair 2 had a Mossberg pump for the dad and a Beretta 391 for the son. Went thru the Safety briefing and got everyone set up at each end of the range. Right off the bat it became obvious that the son of pair two had been doing research on the net and had the basics for mounting properly fully grasped, enough to teach is Dad how to mount a shotgun properly. They didn't start hitting immediately but towrds the end of the first box they started hitting. So I left them on their own. Pair 1 had issues. One major issue was that brand new Winchester pump would not leave even a hint of a mark on the primer of a live round. That left them sharing the Keltec which is a horrible choice for shooting Trap on a voice triggered range. After seeing 4 clays sent downrange while the son was charging it I suggested that he stop calling for the clay and used the noise generated to send the bird flying. That actually worked out rather well. What didn't work well at all was the reflex sight, it's distinctly difficult to apply the correct lead when the target is outside the the window of the sight. End result was the Dad hit 2 quartering shots to the left and 1 straightaway and the son managed to hit 4 straightaways targets.

So, Keltec KSG. Too damned loud while charging. IF you need to charge this shotgun quietly in order to get the jump on a skunk you are going to get a full dose of skunk juice. Sight plane is much too short to hit well with it. It may be a good choice for 3 gun events but it's not a good choice for Sporting.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5770 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Too damned loud while charging.

I want to thank you for that observation.
As I read it, I was reminded of a conversation I had many years ago with a member of a German state-level SWAT team (Spezialeinsatzkommando). I told him how much I liked the HK P7 PSP, and he told me about an exercise his unit had had with the German GSG 9 in a large industrial building. The GSG 9 team was armed with P7 pistols, and they kept cocking and uncocking them as they searched for the SEK “bad guys.” The noise the pistols made allowed my acquaintance and his group to follow the location of the searchers and prepare for their approach.

Some people like their guns to be noisy when operated, and it’s the basis for the famous “chack-chack” speech. They evidently believe that frightening a potential deadly threat is more important and effective than being able to shoot him effectively.

The point you make, though, is something that’s almost always overlooked in certain discussions: In at least some situations—and we may not get to choose the kind we’re in—being able to charge or otherwise operate a gun quietly may be important. One of the things that SWAT team members and other special “operators” are often taught is the importance of ensuring that their gear doesn’t rattle and clank while moving into standby positions. But, “Oh, I forgot to chamber a round”—? Now what?

Thanks again for prompting that thought.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Too damned loud while charging.

I want to thank you for that observation.
As I read it, I was reminded of a conversation I had many years ago with a member of a German state-level SWAT team (Spezialeinsatzkommando). I told him how much I liked the HK P7 PSP, and he told me about an exercise his unit had had with the German GSG 9 in a large industrial building. The GSG 9 team was armed with P7 pistols, and they kept cocking and uncocking them as they searched for the SEK “bad guys.” The noise the pistols made allowed my acquaintance and his group to follow the location of the searchers and prepare for their approach.

Some people like their guns to be noisy when operated, and it’s the basis for the famous “chack-chack” speech. They evidently believe that frightening a potential deadly threat is more important and effective than being able to shoot him effectively.

The point you make, though, is something that’s almost always overlooked in certain discussions: In at least some situations—and we may not get to choose the kind we’re in—being able to charge or otherwise operate a gun quietly may be important. One of the things that SWAT team members and other special “operators” are often taught is the importance of ensuring that their gear doesn’t rattle and clank while moving into standby positions. But, “Oh, I forgot to chamber a round”—? Now what?

Thanks again for prompting that thought.

Just as a weapon light gives away your position every time you turn it on.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

But makes an excellent aiming point-of-reference in the dark... for the other guy.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
As I've mentioned in other threads when the "WMLs are da debil" crowd shows up, it just sounds like ya'll need some quality no-light/low-light training. Wink

There's definitely a right way and a wrong way to do it, but WMLs are a powerful tool when used correctly.

(Hint: leaving them constantly on to flag your position and provide an easy aiming point is the very definition of "not using them correctly"...)

Posts: 33108 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

But makes an excellent aiming point-of-reference in the dark... for the other guy.

I usually refer to weapon mounted lights as "bullet magnets".

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
As I've mentioned in other threads when the "WMLs are da debil" crowd shows up, it just sounds like ya'll need some quality no-light/low-light training. Wink

There's definitely a right way and a wrong way to do it, but WMLs are a powerful tool when used correctly.

(Hint: leaving them constantly on to flag your position and provide an easy aiming point is the very definition of "not using them correctly"...)

I've had some, thank you, and I stand by my opinion. I decided long ago that if someone ever breaks in my house, I hope they use one because if they do, they won't have a chance. They still show exactly where someone is from time to time and that's all I need, or for that matter, all that anyone with training needs to prevail over them.

They are pretty good if you enter with overwhelming force, though, as that changes the dynamic considerably.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post