SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ames, Iowa - What can the Brain trust tell me about?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ames, Iowa - What can the Brain trust tell me about? Login/Join 
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted
My Daughter is graduating from college in May and was just down there to interview for post grad in Bio-Chem. Her first impression of the department and peers down there was positive.

Now she wants to look for a place to live. Open to suggestions.

So what can the SF brain trust tell me about Iowa State University and Ames, Iowa?

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The town is an eclectic mix of small town America, and a college town. Lots of research nearby on campus and at the USDA facilities on animal health, veterinary vaccines, etc. Been there several times. It can be brutal at times during the winter with the wind coming straight down from the Yukon. Best place to eat there (IMHO)is Hickory Park BBQ, right on the main drag.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Des Moines, and had many friends who ended-up going to Iowa State; even met some people when I moved to Minnesota who went there, too (my current manager is an alum). One of my best friends has gone there twice a year for some USDA coursework that's required for his job (he's a meat inspector for the State of Minnesota). Not certain about their Bio-Chem department, as ISU is known mostly for Ag, but it is a fine school, and Ames is an excellent city. Des Moines is a dump, IMO, but it has grown and expanded to include many excellent restaurants and nightlife (downtown Court Avenue area and West Des Moines), and is a 30-minute drive or so.

Posts: 237 | Registered: January 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely a growing town. As mentioned previously an eclectic mix of university and Iowa country town. Biggest problem used to be VIESHA spring event which was turning into an excuse for certain elements to party in the streets and damage property etc. Believe that has been stopped by ISU.
Not as liberal as Iowa University and Iowa City. Spent a fair amount of time there inspecting several projects for AE firm. Typical town during football Saturdays. Red and gold predominates for color!
Hickory Park BBQ is great ! Typical university town for apartments etc. May have to watch some of the management companies for deposit returns etc. As stated Des Moines is just down I35 to the south.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter went to Iowa State, had a job lined up before she graduated in 2012. I'll echo what others have said, Ames is a small university town not as lefty as Iowa City, which is home to the University of Iowa and the liberal, hip, center of the universe.

For her last two years my daughter lived in campustown on Welch, she liked being close to all the bars. I'd recommend your daughter find a different area, I suspect/hope she's past the partying stage.

Link to local paper: http://www.amestrib.com/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
A nice, liberal Iowa college town. Close to Des Moines for whatever culture available, I recommend Fong's Pizza.

Ames Pantorium

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
If she wants an off-campus apartment, Nevada and Huxley are little towns that will be a lot more affordable than in Ames. I have friends who have lived in both and had good things to say. I believe that both are about a 15 minute drive from ISU.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HawkeyeJohn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsawyer09:
I grew up in Des Moines, and had many friends who ended-up going to Iowa State; even met some people when I moved to Minnesota who went there, too (my current manager is an alum). One of my best friends has gone there twice a year for some USDA coursework that's required for his job (he's a meat inspector for the State of Minnesota). Not certain about their Bio-Chem department, as ISU is known mostly for Ag, but it is a fine school, and Ames is an excellent city. Des Moines is a dump, IMO, but it has grown and expanded to include many excellent restaurants and nightlife (downtown Court Avenue area and West Des Moines), and is a 30-minute drive or so.

I was a traveling musician/bartender/laborer/carpenter/photographer for 40+ years.

I've lived in L.A., San Francisco, Sacramento, Seattle, Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, Boca Raton, Houston, Alexandria, Providence... and traveled through many many more. All cities have their dumpy areas. I've seen them, worked in them, lived in them. Des Moines a dump? Come on...

#9 Best Place to Live 2017 - http://realestate.usnews.com/places/iowa/des-moines

And some rankings from previous years - https://www.desmoinesmetro.com...metro_info/rankings/

Ames is a nice little town - swallowed up by a college. Clean, safe, friendly. About half the population of 60,000 goes to school and the other half works for the school. I spent several weeks there photographing many of the buildings on campus for The Waldinger Corp an HVAC contractor.

Stephens Auditorium - lots of great concerts here!

Best known for their College of Veterinary Medicine (one of the best in the country) and College of Engineering, blah, blah, blah... I'm sure you can find plenty of information on line. Like most learning situations - she'll get out of it what she puts into it.

Not the party school that my Alma Mater (U of Iowa) was and not in the same league as The U of W-MWink. Potentially a better learning environment. I wouldn't hesitate to send my daughter there (if I had one).

The universities in Iowa are essentially equivalent to the professional sport franchises in more populated parts of the country, so the esprit de corps is very strong and produces proud, loyal alumni and lasting friends.

Come visit. See for yourself (or take it from a grumpy old fart like me) - Iowa nice is no joke.

Posts: 383 | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I can tell you this... while there are surely some knuckleheads and assholes in Aames, every single person I've ever met from there are outstanding people, as are most of the Iowa people I've ever known.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HawkeyeJohn:
quote:
Originally posted by jsawyer09:

I was a traveling musician/bartender/laborer/carpenter/photographer for 40+ years.

I've lived in L.A., San Francisco, Sacramento, Seattle, Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, Boca Raton, Houston, Alexandria, Providence... and traveled through many many more. All cities have their dumpy areas. I've seen them, worked in them, lived in them. Des Moines a dump? Come on...

#9 Best Place to Live 2017 - http://realestate.usnews.com/places/iowa/des-moines

And some rankings from previous years - https://www.desmoinesmetro.com...metro_info/rankings/

Ames is a nice little town - swallowed up by a college. Clean, safe, friendly. About half the population of 60,000 goes to school and the other half works for the school. I spent several weeks there photographing many of the buildings on campus for The Waldinger Corp an HVAC contractor.

Stephens Auditorium - lots of great concerts here!

Best known for their College of Veterinary Medicine (one of the best in the country) and College of Engineering, blah, blah, blah... I'm sure you can find plenty of information on line. Like most learning situations - she'll get out of it what she puts into it.

Not the party school that my Alma Mater (U of Iowa) was and not in the same league as The U of W-MWink. Potentially a better learning environment. I wouldn't hesitate to send my daughter there (if I had one).

The universities in Iowa are essentially equivalent to the professional sport franchises in more populated parts of the country, so the esprit de corps is very strong and produces proud, loyal alumni and lasting friends.

Come visit. See for yourself (or take it from a grumpy old fart like me) - Iowa nice is no joke.

Sir, I appreciate your comments. My opinion—and it is just that—wasn't comparatively speaking. We can compare cities until the end of time. I lived there for over 20 years and went to school there. I think I can opine to some degree. I have also traveled extensively, both in the US and across the globe; it doesn't make me an expert on the matter. My opinion of Des Moines still stands.

Posts: 237 | Registered: January 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just remembered; there's a few small towns near Ames that may have small homes or places for rent if you daughter has a car. Boone comes to mind, Slater (pop. about 800 last I knew) also.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ames is good. My grandfather, mom, dad, and sister all went to school at ISU. Ames is a nice place and ISU is a good school. Very nice campus in my opinion. I think your daughter will be well served by going to college there.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nandoz
posted Hide Post
Ames gets a little nutty on game days, like most college towns. Mary Greely is a pretty good hospital, I used to haul lots of pych patients there. The police are pretty darn reasonable, for college town cops. Rent is pricey if you don't look around. All in all it's a pretty safe town. Most of the kids where I live, go up there for Ag school or medical sciences. Des Moines is the rectum of Iowa.

p229 equinox .40
savage 10 .308
mossberg 500a 12 ga.
colt 1903 .32
ruger mk. III 22/45

Posts: 22 | Registered: July 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bonus:
and on the way there
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...ownells-Retail-Store

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nandoz:
Ames gets a little nutty on game days, like most college towns. Mary Greely is a pretty good hospital, I used to haul lots of pych patients there. The police are pretty darn reasonable, for college town cops. Rent is pricey if you don't look around. All in all it's a pretty safe town. Most of the kids where I live, go up there for Ag school or medical sciences. Des Moines is the rectum of Iowa.

Des Moines? A rectum of Iowa? I would have to say Ft. Dodge or Council Bluffs/Tucky takes that honor.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Good Sushi
great Barbecue

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
Good Sushi
great Barbecue

MRMN50, are those places? or just comments?

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:

Des Moines? A rectum of Iowa? I would have to say Ft. Dodge or Council Bluffs/Tucky takes that honor.

Council Bluffs is rated the worst place to live in Iowa. I don't recall all of the criteria, but employment and crime rates were big considerations. Davenport, Waterloo, and Marshalltown were high on the list as well.

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you consider this an endorsement or not, but here's what Johnny Depp had to say about Ames:

http://kbc14.com/ames-iowa/joh...idents-of-ames-iowa/

posted Hide Post
20+ years ago, I went there for a summer for a National Science Foundation young scholar program. I recall it being a nice area and not feeling unsafe or anything (as much as a 14 year old kid could).

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post