SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else having DNS issues with the forum?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else having DNS issues with the forum? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
I've been getting this the last couple days. Doesn't last long as I'm able to get on after a few minutes, but still....

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16249 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Not me.

Posts: 9530 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
No, but for those experiencing issues, 'Jessica' and her team are 'working the problem'... Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8927 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
No

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3489 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Okay then, what causes this? Any particular issues to examine at my end? Or is it my ISP?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16249 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Try switching DNS settings on your router to something else?

The OpenDNS nameservers are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

I think Google's is 8.8.8.8

Posts: 11393 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Okay then, what causes this? Any particular issues to examine at my end? Or is it my ISP?

Is that on a phone or some kind of Samsung device? It's an issue with your ISP or the DNS your ISP/Cellular network is using.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2271 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
quote:

Is that on a phone or some kind of Samsung device? It's an issue with your ISP or the DNS your ISP/Cellular network is using.

Yup.... my Samsung cellphone. Roll Eyes

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've seen it several times over the last... week? or so.

quote:
Okay then, what causes this?
Many possible causes. It's never lasted long enough for me to get to my computer and begin diagnosing it.

quote:
Any particular issues to examine at my end?
Not unless you have more tech chops than I suspect Smile (No offence meant, but, DNS issues can be tricky to troubleshoot even for the very tech savvy.)

quote:
Or is it my ISP?
Unlikely, since I've seen it, too.

quote:
It's an issue with your ISP or the DNS your ISP/Cellular network is using.
Nope. See above.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks... not alone on this. Roll Eyes

It's a minor irritant all things considered, but ....

And yeah, my "tech chops" have degraded with my advanced age and lack of time/commitment to keeping abreast of things. No offense taken! Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks... not alone on this. Roll Eyes
Well, the good news is it never seems to last long Smile

My SWAG, based purely upon the symptoms and what I know of how the DNS system works, is temporary failures in SF's host's DNS servers or one-or-more of the routes to their DNS servers, but, as I noted, it's never lasted long enough for me to nail it down.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
It's either an ISP or a device problem. Could be your device asks the ISP to visit sigforum.com and then disconnects long enough for whatever reason while waiting for the name to get resolved to an IP address. Could be your ISP having trouble contacting a DNS server in a timely matter (for a number of reasons behind the scenes). On your PC you can create a host file entry for sigforum.com or whatever you're getting to, so you don't need to use DNS.

--------------------

Posts: 2271 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's either an ISP or a device problem. Could be your device asks the ISP to visit sigforum.com and then disconnects long enough for whatever reason while waiting for the name to get resolved to an IP address. Could be your ISP having trouble contacting a DNS server in a timely matter (for a number of reasons behind the scenes). On your PC you can create a host file entry for sigforum.com or whatever you're getting to, so you don't need to use DNS.
I thought that recently resolved IP addresses were cached locally. Is this not correct?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30708 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I thought that recently resolved IP addresses were cached locally. Is this not correct?

Windows will cache it for at least a day, no idea on a Samsung Android phone though...

--------------------

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Windows will cache it for at least a day, no idea on a Samsung Android phone though...
I'm using MacOS. Looking back through this thread, I now realize that OP is using Android.

Hmmm . . . MacOS is based on Sun's release of UNIX, Android is based on Linux, which is a UNIX work-alike, if that's relevant.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30708 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's either an ISP or a device problem.
Read the rest of the thread, please.
quote:
Yes: For a set amount of time, which is established by a DNS field known as "TTL" (Time To Live).
quote:
Windows will cache it for at least a day, ...
That is not correct. At least not unless Microsoft is violating the DNS protocol.
quote:
Hmmm . . . MacOS is based on Sun's release of UNIX, Android is based on Linux, which is a UNIX work-alike, if that's relevant.
It is not relevant, nor is that quite correct. MacOS X is partially based upon BSD Unix which is what SunOS was based upon. (Sun later switched to AT&T System V with Solaris.)

Another data point (which I'd forgotten about): I've lately occasionally seen email sent to my server by SF temporarily rejected because, when my mail server tried to do a reverse DNS check (that's asking for the hostname to which an IP address resolves) of the sending server as part of its validity tests, my DNS server was temporarily unable to obtain an answer.

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Just because you experience it too, does not mean it's not his ISP or his device (software or hardware). I've never had the issue, on pure Android, Windows, IOS, various Linux distros.

bald1 do you see that with ONLY sigforum.com?

--------------------

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Only with sigforum and only on my Samsung android phone

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Bald1 I occasionally have the same message and issue with my minimac tablet

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Samsung here, never any issues.
I don't know if this matters but chrome now leaves all tabs open. Started last spring, so now you have to close all tabs yourself. Maybe this is your issue.

Posts: 1576 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post