SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted?
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 96
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I, for one, am happy to see that the NRA will be active in the upcoming session in Richmond, and offer my best wishes and support with their efforts. I will do anything I can to see Virginia return to the place that I remember.

Wayne can't turn down the opportunity for a new suit. Do you think he will go with a two button or a three button for the event?

First sigcrazy7, I appreciate you continued support especially from afar.

My disgust with the NRA (just this particular instance, I could go on for a while about in general) is that they said nothing until a few days ago, nothing. How much does it cost to send me an email just saying - we are aware of the proposed legislation in VA and are formulating a plan of attach, we have already done x,y, and Z, and will let you know as soon as we have a game plan.

Instead they ignored the issue for SIX WEEKS, then finally came out and said they were going to hold a rally exactly one week before lobby day. and said that the planned day would be too late to fight. So not only did they not cooperate with existing efforts they actually worked against existing efforts to what end I can't really tell.

It's almost like they are trying to piss off Virginians by ignoring them, then finally responding a day late and dollar short.

Why wouldn't they send their support to the VCDL and other smaller organizations that have been fighting the local fight and amplify their efforts? There is no need for a competing rally to water down the numbers to both. They can't pass the laws in one week, it's not possible to pass them send to other house, mark up, vote, send back, and vote again. They would need the R's to join in their effort to move it that fast.

I see zero good by splintering the support so now people like me will have to choose what day to take off work. Well I am already using 20% of my vacation for the entire year to attend Lobby Day and it's too late for me to ask to take of for the 13th instead.

Not sure any of this reply made sense, typed fast with a bit of rage mixed in. The NRA is not being our friend right now, abandoned us then tried to throw together some haphazard plan in conflict with existing efforts to try and regain some sense of relevance.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Ok, I get that you guys don’t like the tactical moves by the NRA in VA. Just keep in mind, that strategically, they are on your side. They aren’t secretly working behind the scenes for Bloomberg.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Ok, I get that you guys don’t like the tactical moves by the NRA in VA. Just keep in mind, that strategically, they are on your side. They aren’t secretly working behind the scenes for Bloomberg.

I fear that the NRA is like many lobbying/membership organizations in that they don’t want to work themselves out of a job. I personally, and I suspect many members, would like to Gun control run down, treed, shot out the tree, then burned at stake. Just go full nuclear and get rid of all of it. I get the feeling that is very much *not* what the NRA wants. It seems much more like they want gun control alive and well, just contained enough to not completely lose us, but strong enough to be used for fear-mongering to raise more money from us.

I’m a life member, as are Mrs. slosig and our son and daughter. I still support the NRA, but I think they could be a *LOT* better for us.

ETA: I don’t think they are working behind the scenes for Bloomberg, but I do think they are working more for the NRA and less for us.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
VCDL releases a statement in response to Gov Blackface, his AG Herring, and other cronies.

It's 12 pages so I'm not going to attempt to cut and paste it.

https://gunowners.org/wp-conte...December-26-2019.pdf

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

I fear that the NRA is like many lobbying/membership organizations in that they don’t want to work themselves out of a job. I personally, and I suspect many members, would like to Gun control run down, treed, shot out the tree, then burned at stake. Just go full nuclear and get rid of all of it. I get the feeling that is very much *not* what the NRA wants. It seems much more like they want gun control alive and well, just contained enough to not completely lose us, but strong enough to be used for fear-mongering to raise more money from us.

I’m a life member, as are Mrs. slosig and our son and daughter. I still support the NRA, but I think they could be a *LOT* better for us.

ETA: I don’t think they are working behind the scenes for Bloomberg, but I do think they are working more for the NRA and less for us.

Some people’s hatred of the NRA can’t be hidden. They hate the NRA worse than the left does. The left couldn’t bring down the NRA. But, they’ve found a way to manipulate gun owners to do their dirty work for them.

As evidenced, nothing the NRA does will be good enough. You’ll hear the parrots squawking about Wayne’s wardrobe. You’d think that gun owners would want all hands on deck to fight this. Apparently not.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Some people’s hatred of the NRA can’t be hidden. They hate the NRA worse than the left does. The left couldn’t bring down the NRA. But, they’ve found a way to manipulate gun owners to do their dirty work for them.

As evidenced, nothing the NRA does will be good enough. You’ll hear the parrots squawking about Wayne’s wardrobe. You’d think that gun owners would want all hands on deck to fight this. Apparently not.

I don’t hate the NRA. I continue to support them. However, that doesn’t stop me from wishing they’d put the fight first instead of the NRA’s image. The simple point of coordinating with VCDL to maximize impact would have involved sharing the limelight, but would have increased focus rather than diluting it.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I don’t hate the NRA. I continue to support them. However, that doesn’t stop me from wishing they’d put the fight first instead of the NRA’s image. The simple point of coordinating with VCDL to maximize impact would have involved sharing the limelight, but would have increased focus rather than diluting it.

You don’t. But there are plenty that beat their chest at every opportunity to run down the NRA. Same people that were bitching the NRA was “doing nothing” but buying Wayne suits. Now, they are doing something it’s all about Wayne’s suits. It’s childish at best. Dangerous at worst.

Besides, it seems that people’s Rights are only worth showing up to one rally. Showing up to two is just crazy talk. Imagine if the message that would be sent to have back to back crowds. Instead some think their Rights are only worth taking one day off of work. Commitment is ok as long as it’s convenient. I’m all for the NRA holding a rally.

Better late than never.

Everyone fights. Something or another about standing together or swinging separately and whatnot.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I've always been highly skeptical of the motives of the NRA, and I think a number of events over the last several years have justified my skepticism.

- LsPierre using it as his own personal piggy bank. Until he's out, no one should give them a plug nickle, because only a small fraction of money given them will be used for the advertised purpose.

- The fact that, despite the NRA being in existence for over a century, it was another organization, the Second Amendment Foundation, who successfully litigated a couple of major cases leading to SCOTUS precedents solidifying the fact that the 2A actually confers an individual right to keep and bear arms, and that this right is enforceable on the states. When the VA donnybrook gets to court (and it will), these precedents should be very useful.

So when the NRA gets it's head out of it's ass, and actually does what its supposed to, and what it's member pay it to do, I'll think about supporting it. But until then no.

quote:
quote:
quote:

You don’t. But there are plenty that beat their chest at every opportunity to run down the NRA. Same people that were bitching the NRA was “doing nothing” but buying Wayne suits. Now, they are doing something it’s all about Wayne’s suits.

Besides, it seems that people’s Rights are only worth showing up to one rally. Showing up to two is just crazy talk. Imagine if the message that would be sent to have back to back crowds. Instead some think their Rights are only worth taking one day off of work. Commitment is ok as long as it’s convenient. I’m all for the NRA holding a rally.

Better late than never.

Everyone fights. Something or another about standing together or swinging separately.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
BBMW, you're not wrong about us needing for NRA to get its head out of its butt.

I believe that right now, it's more important that we get in touch with NRA and give them some our own guidance than it is to worry about LaPierre. And we need to be clear with them -- "we need NRA support right NOW, deal with Wayne afterward."

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
BBMW, you're not wrong about us needing for NRA to get its head out of its butt.

I believe that right now, it's more important that we get in touch with NRA and give them some our own guidance than it is to worry about LaPierre. And we need to be clear with them -- "we need NRA support right NOW, deal with Wayne afterward."

Yep exactly.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
^^^ I just want to say that this all seems to be timed to coincide with the internal fights within NRA. It's almost like the opposition had chum thrown in the water and have gone into a feeding frenzy. Meanwhile, there's a big show this weekend near me..I plan to go and support folks even if it means buying myself a nice Christmas present.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Being able to time winning an election that basically flips control of an entire state legislature from Republican to Democrat is a neat trick.

quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
^^^ I just want to say that this all seems to be timed to coincide with the internal fights within NRA. It's almost like the opposition had chum thrown in the water and have gone into a feeding frenzy. Meanwhile, there's a big show this weekend near me..I plan to go and support folks even if it means buying myself a nice Christmas present.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine what would happen if the NRA were forced out of existence ? Man, the liberals and gun haters would be dancing in the streets for weeks. I support the NRA if even just to prevent them from doing that and claiming that "they" won.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I would point out that Virginia is only 1 of the 50 states, and many of the others also have anti-2nd Amendment issues. That does not necessarily give an excuse for observed inactivity, but could at least provide a reason.

I am a Benefactor member, but I don't always agree with the actions (or inactions) of the NRA, either. GOA and SAF are both very good groups and provide excellent service, but the NRA is still the elephant in the room and we all need to support it. It has more clout than all the others combined, especially at the national level.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
You don’t. But there are plenty that beat their chest at every opportunity to run down the NRA. Same people that were bitching the NRA was “doing nothing” but buying Wayne suits. Now, they are doing something it’s all about Wayne’s suits. It’s childish at best. Dangerous at worst.

Better late than never.

Everyone fights. Something or another about standing together or swinging separately and whatnot.

If you are going to quote someone else and reply to what I said, why not just quote me?

Not everyone can take off from work whenever they want to willy nilly. I asked one month plus in advance for 1/20/20 to talk to my representatives and be counted in the 'opposition', sorry I am not diehard enough for you, I am not going to jump when the NRA finally decides to wade into the most important 2A restrictions in modern history. They should have been on top of things, and coordinating with local efforts, especially considering they are headquartered 15 miles or less from my front door.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Better late than never.

If you are going to quote someone else and reply to what I said, why not just quote me?

Not everyone can take off from work whenever they want to willy nilly. I asked one month plus in advance for 1/20/20 to talk to my representatives and be counted in the 'opposition', sorry I am not diehard enough for you, I am not going to jump when the NRA finally decides to wade into the most important 2A restrictions in modern history. They should have been on top of things, and coordinating with local efforts, especially considering they are headquartered 15 miles or less from my front door.

Because you aren’t the only one.

www.opspectraining.com

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m not anti NRA. I used to be a member. I think for a movement to be successful it only helps if there is more than one organization fighting for the cause. The NRA takes a hell of a lot of flak from the antis. This alone is helpful in that VCDL is allowed to fly under the radar a bit and do the heavy lifting at the local grassroots level. You can not deny they took action while the NRA sat reeling for weeks.

We need every pro 2A organization we can get. NRA for the national organization and hopefully a state level org such as VCDL to really go out and get the people involved and energized at the local level.

Imagine if they tried to work together a bit how much more effective they could be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This is good! It will definitely keep my friends in the Old Dominion aware of the situation and fired up.

NRA billboards going up in Virginia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
I notice that those of you rushing to the NRA's defense didn't address the specific issue I raised. Give me a legitimate reason for what they've done in this case (with consideration to the timing as well) and explain how it was helpful. They basically inserted a spoiler in order to advance their own selfish agenda.

Today's NRA is about $$$$$ first, second, third and fourth. The NRA would love nothing more than to maintain a status quo where our right is on the precipice. Fortunately, they're fooling less and less people as time goes on.

Incidentally, I wasn't immune to their bullshit not too long ago and I've contributed money.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Important! Listen to this interview a few days ago on WMAL, a local DC radio station, with VA Delegate Todd Gilbert regarding the 2nd Amendment sanctuary counties.

https://omny.fm/shows/mornings...-on-the-mall!podcast

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post