SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New to me motorcycle day!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me motorcycle day! Login/Join 
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted
A friend in town owed me some money (~$1000), so he gave me this to wipe out his debt.

It is an 87 Yamaha Venture. Bigger bike than I was used to, which was an 86 VFR750. It needs a little bit of work, but, most everything is there and works, and it runs. I think it has around 60k miles, so lots of life left in it. It has the 1300 cc V4. Needs new tires and brakes, and I'll change all the fluids too.

Good thing I just took an MSF course and got my motorcycle license again last week. Big Grin

What do you guys think? Any other Venture riders out there? Known faults? Tips?

The obligatory picture:

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4935 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Once checked over and sorted out that looks like a fun bike for a road trip!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21121 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck with it. I'd have held out for the cash! LOL.

Posts: 2490 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Bet you could sell it for more than the grand you wanted back, clean it up, change oil, if it runs then put it on Craigslist/FacebookMarket Bring a Trailer.

Otherwise if you want to keep it to tour, a good service, fluids, plugs, new tires and it should do you well for longer rides. Plus they are good for around town errands for smaller items, although there have been instances where big stuff was loaded on touring bikes..

Posts: 23540 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Nice exchange, you got the better end of it. I always liked the Yamaha Venture. I am getting the itch, that I am afraid I’ll need to scratch. Was looking at a YouTube videos of the 23 Goldwing DCT… the only bad thing about the GW are the two colors they are offering.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Killer deal. Start of riding season too. I will add to HRKs list of pre-ride prep with a new battery.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16116 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Yeah, the cash would have been nice, but, you take what you can when you can, and it has been quite awhile. I also think I got the better end of the deal.

Once I can get a couple of helpers to get it off the trailer, or I build a big enough ramp for me to walk it down, I will start going through it. After I get it road worthy, I'll take it out for a few cruises this summer, see how I like it. If I don't, I can probably sell it for twice what I got it for, and invest that in a different bike.

Whatever happens, I have a new project, and a way to get out on two wheels now.

Mike

Posts: 4935 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun project and congrats on the new bike! I think you got the better end of the deal too.

quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
Once I can get a couple of helpers to get it off the trailer, or I build a big enough ramp for me to walk it down....

I'm an old guy (64), although in pretty good shape. But this is the reason I got a ZPro Drop Deck Trailer for mine - trailer deck drops all the way flat to ground level. I have no interest in having it fall off a ramp while I'm loading or unloading.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I had one back in the day. I liked the brakes. The pedal operated the rear and one front disc. The hand lever operated the other front disc. Suitcase bags left a little to be desired. If you travel in it much, liners would be nice. Great powerplant.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Similar thing for me... years ago.

I took one in same as you for a debt... back rent actually that I was owed for a house I owned and rented out.

It was a '70s Honda 500 V twin. Water cooled, shaft drive with windscreen. The one that had the heads poking out each side, out from under the gas tank sideways. Nice bike!

Wife and I loved it!

Then one beautiful spring day I decided to take a back road ride. Thankfully without the wife.

Cruising South on a quite narrow country road I met a car headed North in the middle of a curve, him taking the middle of the road. He didn't give an inch, I took the ditch, asshole didn't even stop! Thankfully someone saw it and called an Ambulance, otherwise it could have been hours before I was found. Five broken bones and two months out of work.

Yea... Hope you have better luck with yours!

This is what mine was, even same color except mine had a windscreen.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO. For $1000 you did get a good deal; But, Unless you really desired/Love the bike, do not put any money in it. Sell it as is for +- $2000. If no takers, put a little $ into it and list again. Then buy a new(er) bike. Bikes have come along ways since then. Based on the pic of where you live, an Adventure bike looks ideal. The bike is a good platform but it's 37 years old and there's always going to be something needing fixing. Again just an internet opinion. Congrats on the bike.

Posts: 112 | Location: Deep south | Registered: August 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Nice tourers you have there Mike. Before riding it oe even running it much I'd change engine oil and filter, final drive oil, brake fluid, coolant, air filter, and tires. If it runs (unless you jumped it) it must have a good battery. Lubricate it well; side and center stands, shifter, clutch handle and cable, etc. Then ride and report back! Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
... I am getting the itch, that I am afraid I’ll need to scratch. Was looking at a YouTube videos of the 23 Goldwing DCT… the only bad thing about the GW are the two colors they are offering.

I have a 2022 Goldwing and I don't care for the color and matte finish either, nice bike though and I don't notice the color much when riding.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7110 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tjcj:
IMHO. For $1000 you did get a good deal; But, Unless you really desired/Love the bike, do not put any money in it. Sell it as is for +- $2000. If no takers, put a little $ into it and list again. Then buy a new(er) bike. Bikes have come along ways since then. Based on the pic of where you live, an Adventure bike looks ideal. The bike is a good platform but it's 37 years old and there's always going to be something needing fixing. Again just an internet opinion. Congrats on the bike.

Go wash your mouth out with soap! Razz
The current lineup:
1977 Yamaha xs650
1978 Honda GL1000
1980 Honda CB900
1982 Honda CB450SC
I mostly ride the xs650. All that vibration numbs the wedding tackle.

I can only aspire to have a newer fancy bike like the OP. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
Nice bike. I always desired the first year model that was sportier with smaller saddlebags. I wouldn't use the forks as a tiedown point though.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4792 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OneWheelDrive:
...I wouldn't use the forks as a tiedown point though.

Oh my no, and I wouldn't tie it down parked on the side stand either.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7110 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by tjcj:

Go wash your mouth out with soap! Razz
The current lineup:
1977 Yamaha xs650
1978 Honda GL1000
1980 Honda CB900
1982 Honda CB450SC
I mostly ride the xs650. All that vibration numbs the wedding tackle.

I can only aspire to have a newer fancy bike like the OP. Smile

The 650 would be my around town rider too. Converted to electronic ignition? FWIW I stand by my opinion on the Venture for it's intended use, Touring. Nothing wrong with older bikes or vibration. IMG_2018 by Tom C, on Flickr

Posts: 112 | Location: Deep south | Registered: August 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I put the sidestand down as I was loosening straps, but it was towed up. The forks have the anti dive cross brace on it. Is actually a great place to tie down.

I won't be putting a lot of money into it, unless I really like it. It will need tires for sure. Brakes don't look too bad, lots of pad left. I will change all the fluids, and it does have a new battery. Like I said, I will go thru the whole thing before putting it on the road, I don't need a crash.

Mike

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
Yeah, I put the sidestand down as I was loosening straps, but it was towed up. The forks have the anti dive cross brace on it. Is actually a great place to tie down.

I won't be putting a lot of money into it, unless I really like it. It will need tires for sure. Brakes don't look too bad, lots of pad left. I will change all the fluids, and it does have a new battery. Like I said, I will go thru the whole thing before putting it on the road, I don't need a crash.
Had a XS750 triple in the late 70s.No Anti-dive and a shaft drive that would jack the rear end up and down if you were heavy handed on the throttle. Your front and rear air suspension can be set to fit your comfort and handling needs.

SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Thanks tjcj, and nice Harley!

I have already downloaded and printed the owners and service manual for this bike. Have been reading up on the air system, as well as other differences this bike has. I have also been reading a lot on a forum called ventureriders. Always fun learning something new.

Mike

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with an older bike and parts are plentiful. It has the added benefit of the owner easily being able to work on all aspects of repair and upkeep if they are capable and have the tools. Newer computerized fuel injected bikes require a bit more expertise.

https://www.motosport.com/oem-...oyale-1300-_-xvz13dt

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15616 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post